Author Topic: Hadith Narrator trustworthiness  (Read 3357 times)

oaoa1

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Hadith Narrator trustworthiness
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »
Salaamun Alaikum,

Al-Shafi`i states the following requirement in order for a hadith which is not Mutawatir to be acceptable:
"Each reporter should be trustworthy in his religion; he should be known to be truthful in his narrating, to understand what he narrates, to know how a different expression can alter the meaning, and report the wording of the hadith verbatim, not only its meaning. This is because if he does not know how a different expression can change the whole meaning, he will not know if he has changed what is lawful into what is prohibited. Hence, if he reports the hadith according to its wording, no change of meaning will be found at all. Moreover, he should be a good memoriser if he happens to report from his memory, or a good preserver of his writings if he happens to report from them. He should agree with the narrations of the huffaz (leading authorities in hadith), if he reports something which they do also. He should not be a Mudallis, who narrates from someone he met something he did not hear, nor should he report from the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) contrary to what reliable sources have reported from him. In addition, the one who is above him (in the isnad) should be of the same quality, [and so on,] until the hadith goes back uninterrupted to the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) or any authority below him."

Ibn al-Salah, however, defines a Sahih hadith more precisely by saying:
"A Sahih hadith is the one which has a continuous isnad, made up of reporters of trustworthy memory from similar authorities, and which is found to be free from any irregularities (i.e. in the text) or defects (i.e. in the isnad)."

Then Imam Buckari wrote biographies about the narrators whom he never met . So we can decided which chain is authentic.
?
Bukhari wrote three works discussing narrators of hadith with respect to their ability in conveying their material: the "brief compendium of hadith narrators," "the medium compendium" and the "large compendium" (al-Tarikh al-Kabīr, al-Tarīkh al-Ṣaghīr, and al-Tarīkh al-Awsaţ).... ?
(Wikipedia)

As far as I know , scholars say if the chain of a certain hadith have reliable/trustworthy narrators then it's Sahih (Correct me if i'm wrong). 

My Question.

?And from the Nomads around you are hypocrites, as well as from the city people, they persist in hypocrisy. You do not know them, but We know them. We will punish them twice, then they will be returned to a great punishment?. (Quran 9:101)

If  even the Messenger of God don't know the hypocrites living among him, then how can a man
who  never met these people decides weather they are trustworthy or not ?

Emil

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Hadith Narrator trustworthiness
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »
Good question.......

Have you asked this question on a more traditional islamic forum?

Scribbler

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:06:00 AM »
Salamun Alaykum.

You may read the book, The Truth About Hadees by Dr. Qamar Zaman:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/80076801/The-Truth-About-Hadees-Eng-Dr-Qamar-Zaman
Turn to Allah before you turn to ashes.

Bigmo

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
Salaamun Alaikum,

Al-Shafi`i states the following requirement in order for a hadith which is not Mutawatir to be acceptable:
"Each reporter should be trustworthy in his religion; he should be known to be truthful in his narrating, to understand what he narrates, to know how a different expression can alter the meaning, and report the wording of the hadith verbatim, not only its meaning. This is because if he does not know how a different expression can change the whole meaning, he will not know if he has changed what is lawful into what is prohibited. Hence, if he reports the hadith according to its wording, no change of meaning will be found at all. Moreover, he should be a good memoriser if he happens to report from his memory, or a good preserver of his writings if he happens to report from them. He should agree with the narrations of the huffaz (leading authorities in hadith), if he reports something which they do also. He should not be a Mudallis, who narrates from someone he met something he did not hear, nor should he report from the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) contrary to what reliable sources have reported from him. In addition, the one who is above him (in the isnad) should be of the same quality, [and so on,] until the hadith goes back uninterrupted to the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) or any authority below him."

Ibn al-Salah, however, defines a Sahih hadith more precisely by saying:
"A Sahih hadith is the one which has a continuous isnad, made up of reporters of trustworthy memory from similar authorities, and which is found to be free from any irregularities (i.e. in the text) or defects (i.e. in the isnad)."

Then Imam Buckari wrote biographies about the narrators whom he never met . So we can decided which chain is authentic.
?
Bukhari wrote three works discussing narrators of hadith with respect to their ability in conveying their material: the "brief compendium of hadith narrators," "the medium compendium" and the "large compendium" (al-Tarikh al-Kabīr, al-Tarīkh al-Ṣaghīr, and al-Tarīkh al-Awsaţ).... ?
(Wikipedia)

As far as I know , scholars say if the chain of a certain hadith have reliable/trustworthy narrators then it's Sahih (Correct me if i'm wrong). 

My Question.

?And from the Nomads around you are hypocrites, as well as from the city people, they persist in hypocrisy. You do not know them, but We know them. We will punish them twice, then they will be returned to a great punishment?. (Quran 9:101)

If  even the Messenger of God don't know the hypocrites living among him, then how can a man
who  never met these people decides weather they are trustworthy or not ?

Maybe by trustowrthy they mean someone who is not Shia or Zaydi etc.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
I have the impression that if Shafei's conditions were to be certifiedly met, we would have no hadiths to speak of.

I have read parts of the Muwatta and I am puzzled. At some point in time there must have been a race to see who could pile up more hadiths in the shortest time, no questions asked. It is dazzling.

I positively dislike that insistence minute scrutiny of things which are neither here nor there in order to condition life to the milimiter and that it be taken seriously. It repels me, like the pile about menstruation, where you can come up with things which are pure undiluted bad taste. How much free time must people have had to be able to engage in such search for... for what? It is ugly and it reminds me of many passages of the bible that I always found disgusting, as if someone had been relishing to delve on the meanest things the meanest way possible.

Salaam

oaoa1

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:09:08 AM »
Salaamun Alaikum,

Good question.......

Have you asked this question on a more traditional islamic forum?

No...

Salamun Alaykum.

You may read the book, The Truth About Hadees by Dr. Qamar Zaman:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/80076801/The-Truth-About-Hadees-Eng-Dr-Qamar-Zaman

Thanks for the link

I have the impression that if Shafei's conditions were to be certifiedly met, we would have no hadiths to speak of.

I have read parts of the Muwatta and I am puzzled. At some point in time there must have been a race to see who could pile up more hadiths in the shortest time, no questions asked. It is dazzling.

I positively dislike that insistence minute scrutiny of things which are neither here nor there in order to condition life to the milimiter and that it be taken seriously. It repels me, like the pile about menstruation, where you can come up with things which are pure undiluted bad taste. How much free time must people have had to be able to engage in such search for... for what? It is ugly and it reminds me of many passages of the bible that I always found disgusting, as if someone had been relishing to delve on the meanest things the meanest way possible.

Salaam

Most of our hadith's are from Corrupted Bible (Old & New Testemant) , Jewish Talmud and Zoroastrianism. I think there is a book in Talmud about menustration called Nidda!!

oaoa1

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Salaamun alaikum,

I have asked this question in the following forum
http://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/12533/science-of-hadith-chain-of-narrators-is-this-really-science

i got  a circular answer(justifying science of hadiths via hadiths)

Thanks

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »
Salaamun alaikum,

I have asked this question in the following forum
http://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/12533/science-of-hadith-chain-of-narrators-is-this-really-science

i got  a circular answer(justifying science of hadiths via hadiths)

Thanks

This is what I got when clicking the URL:

"Page not found
This question was removed from Islam Stack Exchange for reasons of moderation. Please refer to the help center for possible explanations why a question might be removed."

The truth is being concealed  :)