News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Will we be judged based on our own interpretation & understanding of the Quran?

Started by PixelAngelBaby, February 24, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelAngelBaby

Salam Aleykom :)

I seem to see this idea everywhere on the forum, that Allah wil judge us based on what we understand or interpret from the Quran. Is this true? If so, can someone provide the verse(s) in the Quran that says so? I tried searching but am out of luck.

All I can find are verses that talk negatively about following opinion and perception...so which is it? Am I wrong?

Albeit opinion can be different from what someone honestly tries to understand from the Quran to the best of their ability...

49:1 O you who believe, do not place your opinion above that of God and His messenger. And be aware of God. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.

5:77 Say, "O people of the scripture, do not transgress the limits of your religion beyond the truth, and do not follow the opinions of people who have gone astray, and have misled multitudes of people; they are far astray from the right path."

6:56 Say, "I am forbidden from worshipping what you worship besides GOD." Say, "I will not follow your opinions. Otherwise, I will go astray, and not be guided."

Had we willed, we could have elevated him therewith, but he insisted on sticking to the ground, and pursued his own opinions. Thus, he is like the dog; whether you pet him or scold him, he pants. Such is the example of people who reject our proofs. Narrate these narrations, that they may reflect.

And so many others.
Quote from: someoneoutthere on November 23, 2012, 07:36:24 PM
...I hate these scholars looming over us, in the shadows, wherever we go they appear. Scholars, scholars, scholars...

A-K

This is something I'm struggling with at the moment too. I suppose the idea would be to follow the principles established in the Qur'an to the best of our ability?

"Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best of it, those are the ones whom God has guided, and those are the ones endued with understanding" (38:18)

but I'm still studying the Qur'an and so my current understanding is somehat half-baked. For example, what is "the balance" that is mentioned here? My gut impression is that we're to use the Qur'an as a "balance" of sorts, to judge what is right and wrong, but I'm not so sure:

"It is Allah who has sent down the Book in truth and [also] the balance. And what will make you perceive? Perhaps the Hour is near." (42:17)
"We have already sent Our messengers with clear evidences and sent down with them the Scripture and the balance that the people may maintain [their affairs] in justice. And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might." (57:25)

5:77 talks of a people who have "gone astray", 6:56 relates to 6:49, in regards to people who "deny our revelations", arguably these two verses could just as easily be applied to hadith-followers, correct? Regarding 49:1 (and the related 49:2 - 49:9), how wildly would one have to innovate in order to be pushing a view above that of what was narrated in the Qur'an? Again, I'm not entirely sure...

Probably didn't help much, but frankly it's better to be confused in numbers rather than by yourself, it'll be easier to eventually solve the issue at hand that way  :D

Peace.

PixelAngelBaby

Quote from: A-K on February 24, 2013, 02:38:22 PM
This is something I'm struggling with at the moment too. I suppose the idea would be to follow the principles established in the Qur'an to the best of our ability?

"Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best of it, those are the ones whom God has guided, and those are the ones endued with understanding" (38:18)

but I'm still studying the Qur'an and so my current understanding is somehat half-baked. For example, what is "the balance" that is mentioned here? My gut impression is that we're to use the Qur'an as a "balance" of sorts, to judge what is right and wrong, but I'm not so sure:

"It is Allah who has sent down the Book in truth and [also] the balance. And what will make you perceive? Perhaps the Hour is near." (42:17)
"We have already sent Our messengers with clear evidences and sent down with them the Scripture and the balance that the people may maintain [their affairs] in justice. And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might." (57:25)

5:77 talks of a people who have "gone astray", 6:56 relates to 6:49, in regards to people who "deny our revelations", arguably these two verses could just as easily be applied to hadith-followers, correct? Regarding 49:1 (and the related 49:2 - 49:9), how wildly would one have to innovate in order to be pushing a view above that of what was narrated in the Qur'an? Again, I'm not entirely sure...

Probably didn't help much, but frankly it's better to be confused in numbers rather than by yourself, it'll be easier to eventually solve the issue at hand that way  :D

Peace.

It's 39:18 btw not 38:18 :).

No actually that's helped a lot :). That is surely something to ponder on..thanks for that reference. I will give you a more full reply tomorrow after I've had some sleep. I am so exhausted and have university at 8am D:.
Quote from: someoneoutthere on November 23, 2012, 07:36:24 PM
...I hate these scholars looming over us, in the shadows, wherever we go they appear. Scholars, scholars, scholars...

Bigmo

Quote from: PixelAngelBaby on February 24, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

I seem to see this idea everywhere on the forum, that Allah wil judge us based on what we understand or interpret from the Quran. Is this true? If so, can someone provide the verse(s) in the Quran that says so? I tried searching but am out of luck.

All I can find are verses that talk negatively about following opinion and perception...so which is it? Am I wrong?

Albeit opinion can be different from what someone honestly tries to understand from the Quran to the best of their ability...

49:1 O you who believe, do not place your opinion above that of God and His messenger. And be aware of God. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.

5:77 Say, "O people of the scripture, do not transgress the limits of your religion beyond the truth, and do not follow the opinions of people who have gone astray, and have misled multitudes of people; they are far astray from the right path."

6:56 Say, "I am forbidden from worshipping what you worship besides GOD." Say, "I will not follow your opinions. Otherwise, I will go astray, and not be guided."

Had we willed, we could have elevated him therewith, but he insisted on sticking to the ground, and pursued his own opinions. Thus, he is like the dog; whether you pet him or scold him, he pants. Such is the example of people who reject our proofs. Narrate these narrations, that they may reflect.

And so many others.

Faith in God and our deeds is what we will be judged on. Scriptures are guidance. They only matter as far as how we practice the deen.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

Bender

Quote from: PixelAngelBaby on February 24, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

And so many others.

Salaam,

Probabaly you are searching for these kind of ayaats, but note that The Quran is not used here, I think it's evident why:

5:48  وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ ۖ فَاحْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللَّـهُ ۖ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَهُمْ عَمَّا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ ۚ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنكُمْ شِرْ‌عَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا ۚ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّـهُ لَجَعَلَكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَلَـٰكِن لِّيَبْلُوَكُمْ فِي مَا آتَاكُمْ ۖ فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَ‌اتِ ۚ إِلَى اللَّـهِ مَرْ‌جِعُكُمْ جَمِيعًا فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ

10:109 وَاتَّبِعْ مَا يُوحَىٰ إِلَيْكَ وَاصْبِرْ‌ حَتَّىٰ يَحْكُمَ اللَّـهُ ۚ وَهُوَ خَيْرُ‌ الْحَاكِمِينَ

Salaam,
Bender
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi al-alameen

Fallen Angel 21098

Bendeeeeerrrrrr you stole my chance  >:(

Just kidding 8), well you see, I was going to point out that exact verse (5:48) ::) for I'm struggling with this issue as well. Oh well, better luck to me next time ;D

Btw Salamun Alayk :)

And look how well I've controlled my emoticons ;)

noshirk

Salaam PixelAngelBaby

We will be alone , with no intercessor, the day of judgement.
Defense is based on quran and only of quran (for those who received Quran and said to follow that book).

God knows what is in our hearts and know if we were sincere or not.

People following things not in quran will probably have some difficulties justifying sources.

43:44 And this is indeed a reminder for you and your people; and you will all be questioned.

Peace
noshirk=trying to never mix teachings of The unique Rabb with other teachings, and specially any kind of clerical teachings.

mohf

@noshirk
do you have quranic verses that support your statement? Otherwise they are nothing but baseless opinions.

Ontopic: please see verse: 3:7 which is talking about this subject. (can`t copy verses from my phone)

Hello World!

Rising Star

Will we be judged based on our own interpretation & understanding of the Quran?

Yes

so its better to always ask for true guidance and always keep learning.....
Common sense is biggest religion

Rising Star

Common sense is biggest religion