Author Topic: Arrangement of the surahs  (Read 719 times)

Scribbler

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Arrangement of the surahs
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »
Peace, everyone.

I need a little help here. I was talking to my aunt a few minutes ago, and she's a typical Sunni who believes in all ahadith. While discussing, she told me that the Qur'an was not in the form of a book until Abu Bakr and Umar decided to compile it into a book. Then she said that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had left them the information about the correct way of arranging the surahs which as we have it today. And she implied that the knowledge which Muhammad (pbuh) received on arranging the surahs, came to him as a revelation OUTSIDE the Qur'an through Jibreel. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer her back because of my lack of knowledge on this topic.

Right now, I only remember - "...and We have arranged it well in arranging." (25:32)

So of course, it is God who has arranged it. Now my question is, if Muhammad (pbuh) didn't receive revelations outside the Qur'an, how did God made the arrangement of the surahs while He was revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad (pbuh)?

I need you to put your thoughts here for my question with Quranic proof (if possible), cause I really need to reply to my aunt and also to learn for myself.
Turn to Allah before you turn to ashes.

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Arrangement of the surahs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
Qur'aan was gradually and intermittently revealed. With every fresh piece of revelation, the sequence-arrangement of the format of the book was but to keep changing. Even in those days people alleged:

And when We changed-shifted the textual location of an Ayah to location of another Ayah---
--and Allah the Exalted fully knows about that which He the Exalted is gradually revealing--
they-the non believing ruling elite alleged;  "You [Muhammad Sal'lallaa'hoalaih'wa'salam ] are indeed one who diligently manipulates-redrafts the text".No, you have not sequenced-redrafted-organized it, but the fact of the matter is that most of them do not understand it. [16:101]

Read with 2:105 and 2:106