News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Salat & the Kaaba

Started by Meteora, January 03, 2013, 09:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justamuslim

Quote from: Meteora on January 22, 2013, 04:05:34 AM
Also, I would've been much happier since, even though I'd be going through what you mentioned (which is what I still went through being raised in a Muslim family) I would not have had my genitals mutilated. THAT is MUCH worse than what you simply highlighted, once you realize the full difference between a cirumcised and natural penis.

Majority of the males in the United States are circumcised mostly soon after birth.  Doctors are trained to do circumcision.  For medical reasons some adult males have this procedure done.  Here's an article from CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/malecircumcision/

About female genital mutilation - well, it is not done amongst Muslims worldwide.  Is it not an Islamic practice as far as i know.   Is it really in the hadiths?   I don't know all about the thousands of hadiths.  From what I know, female genital mutilation used to be done in the united states also and in different religions/culture.   It is not a practice in Indian subcontinent where I come from - that I know of.   

By the way, I was raised in traditional sunni Muslim family as well but went to catholic schools and currently live in a place where 99.9% are Christians.  Personally, so glad was not born into a Christian family!  thank God for that!   

True happiness lies in following God's system  :)

justamuslim

Thanks Wakas.   yes, this is what i am looking for.   Wherever there was mention of salat, I substituted yoga and asked does this make sense to say don't go near yoga or seek help with yoga, or guard yoga?

In one verse, God tells us not to go NEAR salat.  In another, to UPHOLD salat.   to ESTABLISH salat.  To GUARD.  To be MINDFUL.  To seek HELP with salat.  PREPARE for salat.   

Seems that salat has more than one meaning in the context that is said.   I am not so sure about this distinction between mumin and Muslim though.  Need to contemplate more and dig deeper for understanding.     

Babansif

Quote from: Man of Faith on January 07, 2013, 04:48:50 AM
Peace,

In the name of God, the most Gracious, the most Merciful

While reading this I get the feeling some Quranists are starting to abrogate verses in the Quran purely through wishful thinking.

Some of the Quranists start losing the prayers, even if it is quite clear that we are commanded to pray by standing, bowing and prostrating. The circumstantial evidence is prominent, yet some of our brothers and sisters interpret the verses in strange ways.
Maybe the wish to differentiate with traditional Muslims is so big we fall victim to wishful thinking, interpreting the verses the way our mind wants.

Saying no to Hadith does not mean we should stop obeying God's hadith, in that case we would not even need the Quran. The Quran is a guide, easy to learn (thus also easy to interpret with a clear honest mind) and having access to it is not exclusively a must, but it certainly makes our salvation easier. Believing that Quran is the word of God is required though.

Most important, you can verify it yourselves by reading the Quran, is to believe in God alone, the Hereafter and to be righteous. Righteousness is self-explanatory, every human knows the foundation of being a good person (charity, being helpful, lawful, obedient, patient, kind etc), i.e.
a role-model.

The Qiblah is explained too and is the sacred mosque in Mecca (or Becca). It  was changed during some period to expose hypocrites, but eventually changed back.

May God guide us in the right direction.

ps. I wrote the Basmala because everything I do I try to do in the name of God ds.

Well said brother I totally agree, Just beacuse something is in the hadith does not mean it is not in the Quran, but what differs is how to do it according to Quran and how to do it according to hadith.

Salaam

Awaal_Muslim

Quote from: Meteora on January 03, 2013, 09:32:11 PM
Sorry in advance if this has been asked. My question isn't that general though so that's the main reason I made the topic (search didn't help enough).

This isn't really about hajj, but about salat. I can't shake off the feeling aiming a ritual prayer towards (and prostrating towards) the famous Kaaba in Mecca is just made-up. Even supposing this is the actual Kaaba in the Quran,

Indeed, the first House [of worship] established for mankind was that at Becca - blessed and a guidance for the worlds.3:96

Indeed, as-Safa and al-Marwah are among the symbols of Allah . So whoever makes Hajj to the House or performs 'umrah - there is no blame upon him for walking between them. And whoever volunteers good - then indeed, Allah is appreciative and Knowing. 2:158

1. Becca means "narrow valley, Kabba is situated in narrow valley of Safa and Marwah,
2. The house is established for the "Mankind" "NAAS" therefore, let say if Adam was the first man can we minus him from mankind.  Therefore, Kabba is from day one.

QuoteI don't think there's any command to physically pray towards it, let alone prostrate in its direction.

And [mention] when We made the House a place of return for the mankind and [a place of] security. And take, [O believers], from the standing place of Abraham a place of prayer. And We charged Abraham and Ishmael, [saying], "Purify My House for those who perform Tawaf and those who are staying [there] for worship and those who bow and prostrate [in prayer]."

Wa-ith jaAAalna albayta mathabatanlinnasi waamnan wattakhithoo minmaqami ibraheema musallan waAAahidnaila ibraheema wa-ismaAAeela an tahhirabaytiya litta-ifeena walAAakifeenawarrukkaAAi assujood

1. Again the House/Kabba been described with mankind
2. wattakhithoo =  and take
3. minmaqami ibraheema = from the standing position of Ibraheem
4. musallan =  Prayer performed

Therefore, Salaat is ordained from the time of Ibraheem (pbuh), if someone need to confirm the how to pray one can see it established in Kabba, and copy that prayer/salaat. As, people are already performing prayer in same verse/ayat.

And, when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a Imam/leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." 2:124

Allah confirms that Ibraheem (pbuh) is the Imam for Mankind. 

QuoteCan someone show me the verse closest to implying we should pray and prostrate towards the Kaaba (the one in Mecca)?

We have certainly seen the turning of your face, toward the heaven, and We will surely turn you to a qiblah with which you will be pleased. So turn your face toward al-Masjid al-Haram. And wherever you [believers] are, turn your faces toward it [in prayer]. Indeed, those who have been given the Scripture well know that it is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.2:124

And from whatsoever place you come forth, turn your face towards the Sacred Mosque; and wherever you are turn your faces towards it, so that people shall have no accusation against you, except such of them as are unjust; so do not fear them, and fear Me, that I may complete My favor on you and that you may walk on the right course. 2;150

Qiblah = direction of belief

Our direction of belief comes from "Masjid al Haram/kabba/the house/"  therefore, when we pray we face towards Kabba.

And We inspired to Moses and his brother, "Settle your people in Egypt in houses and make your houses [facing the] qiblah and establish prayer and give good tidings to the believers." 10:87

Peace

[/quote]
وَأُمِرْتُ لِأَنْ أَكُونَ أَوَّلَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ
And I have been commanded to be the first [among you] of the Muslims." Al-Quran 39:12