About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Worried and Uncertain about the future

Started by Released, September 26, 2012, 01:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayisha

Quote from: scaredmuslimah on September 29, 2012, 12:40:30 PM
Salaam Released:

Your reference to Malcolm X is one I use all of the time.  Isn't it interesting how so many know his story yet they fall right into the same trap he did...following someone because they seem so educated and on the right path.    I think for African American men it gives them some sense of importance in a world where the feel so worthless.  Unfortunately, many of them don't see that self worth comes from within, not from education, wealth, or social status.  They become apathetic...and turn to violence and crime to make a way for themselves. 

I am not afraid of him one bit.  Once I realized that he has to rely on he knowledge of others to get by, he no longer became a threat spiritually for me.  Insha'Allah, I will continue to grow stronger.

For Malcolm X, as for many other African Americans who as you say felt worthless, the sad part was they were indoctrinated into 'Nation of Islam' which is NOT Islam at all, certainly in the sense that you had to be black to be in it! When he went to hajj he saw the difference, so they killed him. Such a sad story, such a great man.  :peace:
In the name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe,
The Compassionate, The Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Judgement!
You alone we worship, and to You alone we turn for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
The path of those You have favoured,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

Released

Peace Amina

"Self-worth comes from within"   So true. I've known people with all of the material comforts of this world..but still lacking in self-esteem and self-worth.  Though, I think that education and being financially comfortable can alleviate some of the stresses of life and allow one to feel better about themselves. I think it was Malcolm X who said that education was the passport to the future. Of course, education in itself can be defined in so many ways. I think your husband is very blessed to have you in his life as you are blessed to have him. 

Peace Ayisha

I've only seen the move where I think it was Denzel Washington that acts in it? Very impressive and one of my all time favorites. I think that if he were around today..perhaps he would join our little movement here..God only knows.
God does not change the condition of a people until they change what is within themselves (13:11)

scaredmuslimah

Quote from: Ayisha on September 29, 2012, 12:53:39 PM
For Malcolm X, as for many other African Americans who as you say felt worthless, the sad part was they were indoctrinated into 'Nation of Islam' which is NOT Islam at all, certainly in the sense that you had to be black to be in it! When he went to hajj he saw the difference, so they killed him. Such a sad story, such a great man.  :peace:

Peace Ayisha,

Most older African American muslims I know came to Islam from the Nation, so I know all too well what you are talking about.  Many of them still hold on to it, even though they claim they don't.  One thing I tend to hear from those types is the phrase "my/our people."   Tips me off every time.  ;)

Peace Released,

I didn't see the movie until after I converted to Islam...I too found it to be a beautiful story, but a harsh reminder of what following someone who seems educated and spiritually enlightened can do. 

-Amina

youssef4342

Peace & mind me but,
I have a lady at work who's husband is, what i found out to be a member of the NOI.
She was talking about this "Supreme wisdom" book that he has , besides the Quran, which i didn't know about until i looked it up.... She seemingly just goes by what her husband goes, but hey she's a nice lady, she's not strict or anything.

Also, I met another guy a couple months ago who was form the "Moorish science temple of America", who invited me to his temple. But i didn't time or means of going.... That was the first time i ever heard of such a thing.

Facebook Group
[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/[/url]

"Fear not those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear the one who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

scaredmuslimah

Quote from: youssef4342 on October 01, 2012, 10:21:08 AM
Peace & mind me but,
I have a lady at work who's husband is, what i found out to be a member of the NOI.
She was talking about this "Supreme wisdom" book that he has , besides the Quran, which i didn't know about until i looked it up.... She seemingly just goes by what her husband goes, but hey she's a nice lady, she's not strict or anything.

Also, I met another guy a couple months ago who was form the "Moorish science temple of America", who invited me to his temple. But i didn't time or means of going.... That was the first time i ever heard of such a thing.

Peace Youssef,

I have never heard of it either...I do know about the newsletter they send out monthly.  They tend to be very nice, and act very graciously towards any muslims they meet (I have come across one gentleman who smiled ear to ear upon seeing a covered muslimah driving past). 

I can see just how the NOI had such an influence on African-Americans to be honest...it gave them a way to feel important, educated, and was more than likely an outlet for thier anger after years of racism. 

It's my understanding that Elijah Muhammed's son, W. Deen Muhammed, changed the way the NOI practiced Islam after his father's death.  Supposedly they follow the Qur'an now...

Peace,

Amina