Author Topic: Ghazali  (Read 2363 times)

Wootah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Ghazali
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:46:15 AM »
Hi all,

I have just read a book that discusses this Islamic philosopher and claims that he and the Asharite school of thought was vastly influential on Islam from his time on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazali
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asharite

Are people aware of this man and the school?
Is he still revered within Islam?
And for a 3rd question is the Koran created or co-eternal with Allah?

Thx,

Woot
I'm a Christian ... just letting you know.

Paradox Uncreated

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Ghazali
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:26 AM »
Ghazali seems known for the statement that a muslim "years for an ideal". And this supposedly supports sunna-thinking. He also stated that interpretation of Islam, should be "finalized" and probably is the reasons why many sectarians mean that no further interpretation of Islam should be done, and already existing schools of thoughts should be accepted.

To me, this represents utter stagnation. And his statement about an ideal, is idolatry. (Polytheism, reason for hellfire.)

Your last question, I think I would answer with: God is uncreated, The quran is a created book, that describes an uncreated God.
Paradox Void is the infinitely superior.

Paradox Void is an attribute of God, or any other entity it should point to, which is the same entity.
Designer of all dimensions. Former of forms, shaper of shapes. According to truth.
Peace.

Wootah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
Ghazali seems known for the statement that a muslim "years for an ideal". And this supposedly supports sunna-thinking. He also stated that interpretation of Islam, should be "finalized" and probably is the reasons why many sectarians mean that no further interpretation of Islam should be done, and already existing schools of thoughts should be accepted.

To me, this represents utter stagnation. And his statement about an ideal, is idolatry. (Polytheism, reason for hellfire.)

Your last question, I think I would answer with: God is uncreated, The quran is a created book, that describes an uncreated God.

'Utter stagnation' is what the book thinks happened.

That's a big call, that one of the foremost Muslim thinker went to hell.

Do you think you can use reason to understand Allah?

Paradox Uncreated

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:54:05 AM »
I believe reason at it`s utmost capacity, can understand Allah in many ways. Some things may not be logically accessible, such as certain facts about creation. I just discussed in another thread that God was 50.000 years above creation. I don`t see how you can arrive at that logically. So, this is revealed.

Peace.

Paradox Void is an attribute of God, or any other entity it should point to, which is the same entity.
Designer of all dimensions. Former of forms, shaper of shapes. According to truth.
Peace.

Wootah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:29 AM »
I believe reason at it`s utmost capacity, can understand Allah in many ways. Some things may not be logically accessible, such as certain facts about creation. I just discussed in another thread that God was 50.000 years above creation. I don`t see how you can arrive at that logically. So, this is revealed.

Peace.

Revealed to you personally or is it in the Quran or Hadith?

Paradox Uncreated

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
This is revealed in the Quran.

http://www.islamawakened.com/Quran/70/4/

Peace.

javed1

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
Hi Wootah
I have never come across a mention of Ghazali by any author,muslim or non muslim without a superlative prefixed to his name.Brilliant,genius, incomparable etc etc.
He is credited with stopping the onslaught of neo platonic ideas and philosophy.It was done by highliting the incompatibilty of the revealed truths with philosophy as akin to the relationship between certainity and conjecture.
After leading a restless life and after traversing the fields of kalam,jurisprudence and philosophy he is said to have found contentment in gnosis.Hope this helps.
Javed  .

Paradox Uncreated

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »

Peace.

Producer

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Hanafi is more active than Ghazali, Sunniforum for example. In sunni its pretty much betweeen Salafi and Hanafi.