Author Topic: standing bowing prostrating  (Read 2036 times)

nerspi

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
standing bowing prostrating
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »
peace all :)

i know theres many views on salat,
being physical ritual
and being other things as well....

id like to hear what does it mean when its mentioned about standing bowing and prostrating,
if the salat is not physical, what does it mean?

or if this bowing and prostrating are even connected to salat?

ths

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: standing bowing prostrating
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
People here will tell you any number of things.... but generally they will find a very vague term that can fit with the broken-down meaning of the word and replace the accepted meaning with that to generate some kind of pseudo-action such as "responding" or "programming" or whatever.

I was once told of a critique of the Quran-only crowd that really resounded with me, despite being one myself:

Say I'm writing a book, and I write in it, I ate a Chapati (bread) with a Shorba.( Iranian Curry). Now say 200 years later someone is writing a commentary to understand my work, and to understand my language he takes a Persian Language book and instead of learning in what context I told it, instead of understanding in that time what shorba meant, he goes with the literal meaning which is shor= salt, ba= water and concludes that I ate chapati with Salted water. Which is wrong as I ate it with a curry.

This is how most people on this forum will approach "qaa'iman" "raaki3an" and "sujjadan", and instead propagate some conspiracy theory of how it is all an Arab conspiracy where they adopted prayer from the Zoroastrians and replaced the extremely vague terms that the Quran was actually using with physical aspects so as to undermine and ultimately destroy the Muslim community, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَاتِ ۚ
So strive as in a race in all virtues!
5:48

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

hope4

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
peace nerspi,

I recommend:
http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/meaning-of-SuJuD-from-Quran.html

Selam Wakas

Do you have the second part to this article? At the bottom of the article it wrote:

Part Two of this article will analyse and discuss: maSJD, al maSJD al haram, and some associated terms.

Peace
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I am currently working on it  :)
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

hope4

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »
Thanks.
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Student of Allah

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
peace nerspi,

I recommend:
http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/meaning-of-SuJuD-from-Quran.html

Salam,

Interesting work, is Arabic your native tongue ? or you learnt it ? In the article you wrote about :
As a side note, there are other Arabic roots used in AQ which can have a meaning of prostration, e.g. Kaf-Ba-Ba, Ta-Lam-Lam, Kaf-Ba-Ta, Jiim-Tha-Miim, Saad-Ra-Ayn, Siin-Tay-Ra, and some of these are used in this way in various translations.

Did you discuss this elsewhere ? Would like to read your findings.

As for me, I pray like average sunnis I guess. I stand and focus, recite excerpts from Qur'an, praising Allah. I try to meditate more, I bow and prostrate and that is like ultimate submission (from my perspective) when my mind spirit and body all surrender to him. For me that is the contact method which helps me meditate submissively in honor of my Lord.

PEACE

---------------------- Student of Allah

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:53:04 AM »
peace SofA,

Arabic is not my native tongue, nor would I say I have learnt it. I know very basic Arabic, but I have access to great resources/books etc.

As for those roots, I recommend using corpus.quran.com or project root list to look up the occurrences via islamawakened.com

www.studyQuran.org