Author Topic: Is Jerusalem the Qibla?  (Read 54505 times)

KDC501

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Is Jerusalem the Qibla?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »
Two nights ago  I started reading the book " The Natural Republic ".  I read in one the chapters that the Qibla is not Mecca but Jerusalem. At first I was a bit skeptical however after reading a few additional articles I'm starting to think that indeed Jerusalem has to be the Qibla. I was a Christian. And i read the Bible. So far to my knowledge none of the prophets, Jews or Christians could have gone to Mecca for pilgrimage. The Bible places ALOT of emphasis on Jerusalem as the place of pilgrimage. Also the Quran did say  in Sura 3:96 The first house established for the public is the one in Bakka, blessed, and guidance for the worlds.
I always thought that the word Bakka was an old word for the city of Mecca however to my astonishment there is a place called Bakka in Jerusalem! Another issue that bothered me was why was Prophet Mohammad  so preoccupied with fighting the Byzantium army unless it was of great importance??? And if the Kaaba in Mecca was the original Qibla why is it according to Islamic History that Muhammad prayed in the direction of Jerusalem during the period the Quran was being revealed.  The writers of this book make very strong arguments to support the theory that Jerusalem (where the dome of the rock is situated ) is the focal point. I'm beginning to think so to. Does anyone have any comments on this particular topic?

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
Re: Is Jerusalem the Qibla?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:29:58 AM »
The foolish from amongst the people will say: "What has turned them away from the qiblah that they were on?" Say: "To God is the east and the west, He guides whomsoever He wishes to a straight path." [2:142]

Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west... [2:177]

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:10 AM »
Word by Word Analysis 2:142

The self adopted Qibla of Jews and Christians is not some place but mere directions, East and West.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-4
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:59:01 AM »
Salam,

I agree with your post. Jerusalem is indeed the Qibla.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

sdevante

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
I tend to think that Jerusalem is the qibla for the reasons mentioned. Other things that make me believe this:

Abraham's Station is supposed to be within the qibla, but the purported Abraham's Station in Mecca is outside the Kaabah and is only a set of encased footprints.

Some important guy back in the day (helpful, I know, but it's late; I'll try to pull some articles and fix this) was unsure whether the qibla was in Jerusalem or Mecca.

The Dome of the Rock encloses a rock outcropping that has been alleged to be the site of Abraham's attempted sacrifice of his son; alternatively, it has been suggested to be the site where Jesus was crucified. It is also where Solomon's temple stood. Whatever the significance, this site has always been revered.

The circumstances surrounding the building of the Dome are unclear.

Finally, the Dome has no qibla itself, is 8 sided and oriented towards circumambulation, and is a building wherein people could actually take refuge.

Given the significance of Jerusalem in all of the Abrahamic traditions, I find it only natural that this should be the qibla rather than a black pagan cube in the middle of the barren desert.

Just my 2 cents, though I am recently myself struggling through this issue and the location of the Prophet, pbuh.

I'll try to gather my thoughts more intelligently and respond again.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-4
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
Salam,

Some important guy back in the day (helpful, I know, but it's late; I'll try to pull some articles and fix this) was unsure whether the qibla was in Jerusalem or Mecca.

You are thinking of AbdulMalik Bin Marwan, who was the 5th Ummayed Khalifa.

AbdulMalik is credited with spending a fortune on the improvement of the the Dome of the Rock - including covering the Dome in gold paper. At the same time, he sent an army against the shrine in Mecca, ultimately destroying the walls of the Kaaba with catapaults.  

`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

IMHO

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:58 AM »
Salam,

Your thinking of AbdulMalik Bin Marwan, who was the 5th Ummayed Khalifa.

AbdulMalik is credited with spending a fortune on the improvement of the the Dome of the Rock - including covering the Dome in gold paper. At the same time, he sent an army against the shrine in Mecca, ultimately detroying the walls of the Kaaba with catapaults. 

Salaam

Just one question: How can Jerusalem be ?the city of peace? when its history is full of wars and violence?

Simpls   ;)

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-4
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
Salam,

Just one question: How can Jerusalem be ?the city of peace? when its history is full of wars and violence?

Because the "peace" comes from man, not God. The shrine is meant to be a sanctuary, but if people decide they will fight there, then nothing can stop that ;)

?And kill them wherever you encounter them, and expel them from where they expelled you, and know that persecution is worse than being killed. And do not fight them at the Restricted Temple unless they fight you at it; if they fight you then kill them, thus is the recompense of the rejecters.? (Qur?an 2:191)

truthseeker171

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »

You are thinking of AbdulMalik Bin Marwan, who was the 5th Ummayed Khalifa.

AbdulMalik is credited with spending a fortune on the improvement of the the Dome of the Rock - including covering the Dome in gold paper. At the same time, he sent an army against the shrine in Mecca, ultimately destroying the walls of the Kaaba with catapaults.  

Following quotes might have some merits:

The Kaaba has been repaired and reconstructed many times since Muhammad's day. Abd-Allah ibn al-Zubayr, an early Muslim who ruled Mecca for many years between the death of ʿAli and the consolidation of Ummayad power, is said to have demolished the old Kaaba and rebuilt it to include the hatīm, a semi-circular wall now outside the Kaaba.[49] He did so on the basis of a tradition (found in several hadith collections[50]) that the hatīm was a remnant of the foundations of the Abrahamic Kaaba, and that Muhammad himself had wished to rebuild so as to include it.

This structure was destroyed (or partially destroyed) in 683, during the war between al-Zubayr and Umayyad forces commanded by Al-Hajjaj bin Yousef. Al-Hajjaj used stone-throwing catapults against the Meccans.

The Ummayads under ʿAbdu l-Malik ibn Marwan finally reunited all the former Islamic possessions and ended the long civil war. In 693 he had the remnants of al-Zubayr's Kaaba razed, and rebuilt on the foundations set by the Quraysh.[51] The Kaaba returned to the cube shape it had taken during Muhammad's lifetime.
end quote

from:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BFAbdu_l-Malik_ibn_Marwan

Abd al-Malik instituted many reforms such as: making Arabic the official language of government across the entire empire, instituting a mint that produced a uniform set of aniconic currency, expansion and reorganization of postal service, repairing the damaged Kaaba and beginning the tradition of weaving a silk cover for the Kaaba in Damascus.
end quote

Peace,
Truthseeker

Disclaimer: the study of the Koran is work in progress, every information in any posting on this forum should be controlled by the believers themselves in the best way - verse 17:36.

mmkhan

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:23:36 AM »
Salaam,

Because the "peace" comes from man, not God. The shrine is meant to be a sanctuary, but if people decide they will fight there, then nothing can stop that ;)

?And kill them wherever you encounter them, and expel them from where they expelled you, and know that persecution is worse than being killed. And do not fight them at the Restricted Temple unless they fight you at it; if they fight you then kill them, thus is the recompense of the rejecters.? (Qur?an 2:191)

I don't agree with this understanding. AlQuraan states:

3:97    فيه ءايت بينت مقام إبرهيم ومن دخله كان ءامنا ولله على الناس حج البيت من استطاع إليه سبيلا ومن كفر فإن الله غني عن العلمين
3:97    In it are clear signs: the station of Abraham. And whoever enters it will be secure. And Allah is owed from the people to make Pilgrimage to the Sanctuary, whoever can make a path to it. And whoever rejects, then Allah has no need of the worlds.

"Whoever" includes all, mumins, muslims, kafir, mushriks, munafiq, etc. as Hajj is for all "AlNaas". So, peace for all, nobody will fight there.

Aayat quoted above 2:191 is about "AlMasjid AlHaraam" not about "Bakka" nor "AlBayt". Interestingly, everybody [AlNaas] has to make pilgrimage to "AlBayt", but "Mushrikeens" are not allowed to come near "AlMasjid AlHaraam" 9:28

9:28    يأيها الذين ءامنوا إنما المشركون نجس فلا يقربوا المسجد الحرام بعد عامهم هذا وإن خفتم عيلة فسوف يغنيكم الله من فضله إن شاء إن الله عليم حكيم
9:28    O you who believe, the polytheists are impure, so let them not approach the Restricted Temple after this year of theirs; and if you fear poverty, then Allah will enrich you from His blessings if He wills. Allah is Knowledgeable, Wise.

May Allah guide us all to His true path  :pr
Mohammed M. Khan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51