News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Verse (4:159) Translation what does it mean???

Started by drsam, April 19, 2011, 10:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drsam

Chapter (4) sūrat l-nisāa (The Women)

Sahih International: And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness.

Pickthall: There is not one of the People of the Scripture but will believe in him before his death, and on the Day of Resurrection he will be a witness against them -

Yusuf Ali: And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment he will be a witness against them;-

Shakir: And there is not one of the followers of the Book but most certainly believes in this before his death, and on the day of resurrection he (Isa) shall be a witness against them.

Muhammad Sarwar: There will be no one among the People of the Book who will not believe (a belief of no value) in him (Jesus) before their deaths. On the Day of Judgment, (Jesus) will testify against them.

Mohsin Khan: And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being], before his ['Iesa (Jesus) or a Jew's or a Christian's] death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he ['Iesa (Jesus)] will be a witness against them.

Arberry: There is not one of the People of the Book but will assuredly believe in him before his death, and on the Resurrection Day he will be a witness against them.

so does this indicate that isa is not dead and will come to earth as a sign of qayamat..???  please help...
WHEN YOU FEEL YOU KNOW ENOUGH, JUST READ QURAN TO BREAK THAT NOTION
                        = DR. SOHIL MOMIN

kgwithnob

Quoteso does this indicate that isa is not dead and will come to earth as a sign of qayamat..Huh?  please help...

Salaam Dear drsam,

I draw your attention to verse 3:7 in The Qur'aan. Besides, the truth of this matter is of one of the hidden ones. It is not one of the MUHKAMAAT either. I recommend that you just believe in it and do not delve into it trying to find its TA'VEEL/hidden meaning, just as The Qur'aan commends us to do so. Getting involve into these sorts of matters do not really solve anything from us and on the other hand creates controversies and confusion and at the end does not get us anywhere. We as the next to nothing servants of ALLAAH SWT have no saying regarding MUTASHAABIHAAT.

The Qur'aan verse 3:7    

هُوَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ عَلَيۡكَ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ مِنۡهُ ءَايَـٰتٌ۬ مُّحۡكَمَـٰتٌ هُنَّ أُمُّ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبِ وَأُخَرُ مُتَشَـٰبِهَـٰتٌ۬‌ۖ فَأَمَّا ٱلَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِمۡ زَيۡغٌ۬ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَـٰبَهَ مِنۡهُ ٱبۡتِغَآءَ ٱلۡفِتۡنَةِ وَٱبۡتِغَآءَ تَأۡوِيلِهِۦ‌ۗ وَمَا يَعۡلَمُ تَأۡوِيلَهُ ۥۤ إِلَّا ٱللَّهُ‌ۗ وَٱلرَّٲسِخُونَ فِى ٱلۡعِلۡمِ يَقُولُونَ ءَامَنَّا بِهِۦ كُلٌّ۬ مِّنۡ عِندِ رَبِّنَا‌ۗ وَمَا يَذَّكَّرُ إِلَّآ أُوْلُواْ ٱلۡأَلۡبَـٰب (٧

Peace,
Khalil

mmkhan

Salaam bro,

Quote from: kgwithnob on April 20, 2011, 12:06:01 AM
Salaam Dear drsam,

I draw your attention to verse 3:7 in The Qur'aan. Besides, the truth of this matter is of one of the hidden ones. It is not one of the MUHKAMAAT either. I recommend that you just believe in it and do not delve into it trying to find its TA'VEEL/hidden meaning, just as The Qur'aan commends us to do so. Getting involve into these sorts of matters do not really solve anything from us and on the other hand creates controversies and confusion and at the end does not get us anywhere. We as the next to nothing servants of ALLAAH SWT have no saying regarding MUTASHAABIHAAT.

هُوَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ عَلَيۡكَ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ مِنۡهُ ءَايَـٰتٌ۬ مُّحۡكَمَـٰتٌ هُنَّ أُمُّ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبِ وَأُخَرُ مُتَشَـٰبِهَـٰتٌ۬‌ۖ فَأَمَّا ٱلَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِمۡ زَيۡغٌ۬ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَـٰبَهَ مِنۡهُ ٱبۡتِغَآءَ ٱلۡفِتۡنَةِ وَٱبۡتِغَآءَ تَأۡوِيلِهِۦ‌ۗ وَمَا يَعۡلَمُ تَأۡوِيلَهُ ۥۤ إِلَّا ٱللَّهُ‌ۗ وَٱلرَّٲسِخُونَ فِى ٱلۡعِلۡمِ يَقُولُونَ ءَامَنَّا بِهِۦ كُلٌّ۬ مِّنۡ عِندِ رَبِّنَا‌ۗ وَمَا يَذَّكَّرُ إِلَّآ أُوْلُواْ ٱلۡأَلۡبَـٰب (٧

Peace,
Khalil

Agreed  :bravo:

I just wanted to add that the term "Ahl AlKitaab" is only addressed to 'People of Musa(AS)' and 'People of Eisa(AS), if I am not mistaken, inshaAllah. And 4:159 used the same term.

May Allah guide us all to His only path  :pr
Mohammed M. Khan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

Jack

Quote from: drsam on April 19, 2011, 10:54:16 PM
Chapter (4) sūrat l-nisāa (The Women)

so does this indicate that isa is not dead and will come to earth as a sign of qayamat..???  please help...

Nothing in the text indicates as such.

You gotta follow the truth even it brings the whole thing crumbling down around you - Sam Tyler, Life on Mars (UK)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense

Jack

Quote from: mmkhan on April 20, 2011, 03:17:45 AM

I just wanted to add that the term "Ahl AlKitaab" is only addressed to 'People of Musa(AS)' and 'People of Eisa(AS), if I am not mistaken, inshaAllah. And 4:159 used the same term.

May Allah guide us all to His only path  :pr
Mohammed M. Khan

No... 2:105 and 3:64 for starters.
You gotta follow the truth even it brings the whole thing crumbling down around you - Sam Tyler, Life on Mars (UK)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense

Jack

Quote from: kgwithnob on April 20, 2011, 12:06:01 AM
Salaam Dear drsam,

Peace,
Khalil

I see 3:7 being abused like this way too often: Believe. Shut up. Don't ask questions. Your interpretation is wholly contradictory to the Quranic message. Moreover, this 'logic' can be applied to ANY topic.

Samia

Quote from: mmkhan on April 20, 2011, 03:17:45 AM

The term "alkitaab" does not translate into "book" nor "scripture". It's a collection of subjects united by the same theme. If you are familiar with the books of fiqh, you will find that they are divided, not in chapters, but in "kitaabs" and hence "kitaab ul-sariqaat"...etc = book of theft or Cahpter on theft. Same thing as for ancient egyptian writtings and the famous "book of Death".  All messengers were given "the book", including Muhammad.

كَانَ النَّاسُ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً فَبَعَثَ اللَّـهُ النَّبِيِّينَ مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنذِرِينَ وَأَنزَلَ مَعَهُمُ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ لِيَحْكُمَ بَيْنَ النَّاسِ فِيمَا اخْتَلَفُوا فِيهِ
Translation:
Mankind was one single nation, and Allah sent Messengers with glad tidings and warnings; and with them He sent the Book in truth, to judge between people in matters wherein they differed; ....

The one thing they were all given are the universal laws:  "the Straight Path" (chapter 6 verses 151-153) to Muhammad, and the Ten Commandments to Moses, called also "alkitaab".
Therefore, the people of "the book" are the people aware of the universal laws and abiding by them.
Please remember that words such as Judaism and Christianity or any title to whatever religion apart from peacefulness (islam in Arabic) do not exist in the qur'aan.

uq

Fascinating observation Samia, I hadn't thought of it like that before.
uq

Wakas

peace Samia,

Nice to see you post.

Quote from: Samia on May 20, 2011, 06:44:04 PM
Therefore, the people of "the book" are the people aware of the universal laws and abiding by them.

Have you ran this understanding through the occurrences within AQ and found it to hold weight?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Bigmo

88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe