Author Topic: baby and toddler books about God?  (Read 5759 times)

ay

• Truth Seeker
baby and toddler books about God?
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Salam all...

I was wondering whether anyone can recommend any nice board books about God?

I have one called Thank You God which is lovely, but was hoping for a few more....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

Rana

• Truth Seeker
Re: baby and toddler books about God?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
 :peace: ay

I'm sorry I can't. My children are older now and we never had anything like that. InshAllah you'll get some advice from someone else. When your children get a little older though there is a series of books that are quite well priced called 'Quran stories for Little Hearts'. They are from Goodword Books. They're quite well priced and base on Quran, even having surahs listed at the end of each book so that you can read further with The Quran.

Rana
The middle path is the way to wisdom.
Rumi

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
thanks rana.... what age are those quran for little hearts stories appropriate for?
if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

Rana

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
You're welcome. Well I started getting them when my youngest was about 3 and at that time I would read to them. But now my youngest is 6 and so my children can read to me. Of course the youngest still needs help with some words but they are similar to the kind of readers you get from schools when they're learning. Not a first reader but perhaps for a child who has advanced a little. Actually I'm glad you brought this up because we haven't been using them much lately and I think I'll get them out again.  :peace:
The middle path is the way to wisdom.
Rumi

MUNZIR ALI

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »
I advise that you keep children below the age of five unaware of God.

MUNZIR ALI

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
Fear is not the best thing for young children.

Emil

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:12:09 AM »
I advise that you keep children below the age of five unaware of God.

I agree, but I would go even further and state that children should not be introduced to God until their own curiousity awakens. They must be able to comprehend the idea of searching their own heart and mind, otherwise they will just follow blindly what their parents follow.

MUNZIR ALI

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
I agree, but I would go even further and state that children should not be introduced to God until their own curiousity awakens. They must be able to comprehend the idea of searching their own heart and mind, otherwise they will just follow blindly what their parents follow.
  :bravo: yes, I was thinking about that. I was trying to be polite to the topic poster.

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Why would I scare them about God? What does fear have to do with it?
Whats the harm in talking about creation?

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »

Children are introduced to God from their environment, even if their parents don't teach them anything they go to play groups, school etc. they hear about it, events happen in relation to religions etc. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching children your concept of God. Most children imitate their parents with regards to many things that's not necessarily bad or "brain washing". It's part of how we learn. As we get older we enquire and make our own decisions.

Sorry Ay I don't know of any, try your local islamic bookshop? have a look through their collection or maybe even Amazon.
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Wiselite

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
Peace Munzir Ali,

We should keep children away from God or man-made religious influences...?

Is it possible for you to make children to be unaware of God? They are so curious about God and His creations that they will ask so many questions which you may find difficult to answer. They need to be guided towards God.

Being God-fearing will help them grow in the right path.

Gita

Wiselite

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Peace Ay,

Teach your child to ponder on each and every word of Quran.

Teach them God's name by the need of the moment. They will start knowing who God is.

For eg., when we need food / clothes : O Provider. When we need protection : O Protector. when we need to be forgiven : O Forgiver. when we need His guidance : O the Wise. when we need His Help :  O the Helper.

Children need to know basic simple truths :
*that all good is from God and suffering/pain is brought about by our own hands - either through our external behavior or the evil thoughts like pride, jealousy, etc. we possess internally.

*All good deeds will be rewarded multi-fold and bad deeds will be punished. God is ever watchful and All knowing.

*Never blame others for our suffering and do not take revenge.

Sow good seeds in their hearts and they will blossom beautifully by His Grace.

Gita

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »
thank you wiselight :)
lovely advice

diamantinehoneybunch

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 04:53:58 AM »
Salaam,

Munzir Ali is atheist but he was a Quran-alone muslim before 2011.
I like reading old posts that's why I know about some members on here.

I read one of his posts which he said that he is a Quranist atheist :o

Well I don't think telling children about God is scaring them as long as we don't do it the way some extremists do to their children.

Regards
Yuliana
This profile is dead. It was assasinated by its owner :D

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
whats a quranist atheist?

Nazzam

• Apprentice
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
I dont think its a good thing to introduce the concept of God to babies and toddlers, or even children.

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »
Why not nazzam?

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Why should any adults teach about God to baby and toddler?
They knew more about God / their creator / the origin of their soul / their soul father more than adults..
They knew more about God / their creator / the origin of their soul / their soul father more than their knowledge of their human father and mother.
Their relationship to God is far more intimate than any adults to God..

I find it the other way around, I learn more about God when I contemplate or look upon babies and toddler..

Salam / Peace

Nazzam

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
In neuroscience it has been confirmed that the cognitive capacity of conceptualization of complex problems starts later on. So if a baby, toddler, child is confronted with religion early on, it will automatically have distorted and simplistic views which will lead to concepts of the same quality.

Further on, and millions of circumstances prove this, this kind of cognitive development will long influence the child later on, in many if not most cases, well into adulthood. One of the reasons why many conceptualizations will not develop any further, is that the cognitive framework which memorizes the first impressions in a persons life, doesn't change. Psychologically speaking, it will be very hard, if not impossible for the child to keep up or cope with the changes of dynamic reality. It will have to break old perceptions off to replace them with others, and most people do not like or want that.

It is better to expose the child to mathematics and philosophy at a very young age, and later on introduce it to the concept of a creator.

Theological argument; the quran states it adresses people who think and reflect, it even refers to logics and argumentation (and logical argumentation) by stating that if it weren't from God, it would be full of contradictions (contradiction is illogical). Children are not yet capable cognitively to do the task.

Greetings

diamantinehoneybunch

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 02:21:32 AM »
Okay thanks for disproving me.
This profile is dead. It was assasinated by its owner :D

I am no longer of an adherent or believer of any religion. So some of my views that have been expressed here may no longer represent or reflect my current views.

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
In neuroscience it has been confirmed that the cognitive capacity of conceptualization of complex problems starts later on. So if a baby, toddler, child is confronted with religion early on, it will automatically have distorted and simplistic views which will lead to concepts of the same quality.

It's much better to keep (the insanity of) religion away from your child until at least 12-13 years age.

A snippet of conversion between my 6 years old and me.

Son: Dad are you a buddhist?
Me: Yes I am why do you ask?
Son: Because << name of his friend >> is a buddhist, aren't you a muslim?
Me: Yes I am and why do you ask?
Son: Because << name of his friend >> said that I'm a muslim, (note: perhaps due to my son 'middle eastern' feature)
Son: And are you a christian?
Me: Yes I am and why do you ask?
Son: Because << name of his other friend >> is a christian, but dad you can't be buddhist, muslim and christian at the same time! Or can you?
Me: Yes I can and so can you, who said that I cannot?
Son: <<Confused and walk away>>

All human are being born without religion..
Religion is among the 'poison' which polluted the soul once it has arrived in this world / universe.

That's why I said it's more of :
"Adult learning from babies than babies from Adult".
In terms of spirituality.

-- Jesus as cited from Matthew 18:3

And I couldn't agree more with Jesus..

Salam / Peace

ay

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
But people are confusing talking about God / a creator with children to talking about religion which is different imo
anyways this has gone off topic somewhat

thanks all