News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

What experiences have Quran Alone muslims had at Islamic centers?

Started by JewishDude, December 22, 2010, 11:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JewishDude

I am curious to know how many Quran Alone muslims go to Jumah prayers at a Mosque or Islamic center and how are they treated.  I know many of you on there do not perform salat 5 times a day maybe 3 or some none.  But do any of you go to a Mosque?  Are you treated well?

Just curious.... 

Shalom, Salam, Peace

salgan

Peace Jewishdude

Mosques are OK as long as you keep your opinions to yourself and do not tell them what you believe , these days I go if there is a funeral . I have not got to the Abrahamic state were I feel comfortable to go against the community that I live in 'I have seen the backlash a friend of mine has received from the pious supposedly Muslim community the effects were not just felt by him but his wife and kids as well .

Peace Salim

Live long and prosper
They Live We Sleep

BornAgain

Shalom JewishDude,

I don't do the Friday worship, but I work at an Islamic centre from time to time. I do not disclose my belief, and have been getting along with them fine. They're very friendly, outgoing and kind-hearted people, and I do feel a strong sense of family there (everyone taking care of each other).

As long as you don't confront people regarding their belief systems, you should be fine. People will reach defensively if their belief is attacked/criticised (cause it is part of their identity). My experience is that as you get to know other muslims (the traditional ones) and progress with your friendship, you'll slowly open up in a non-confrontational way and chances are they'll respect you for who you are, as long as you remain nice and friendly. The case will be different if you declare out loud that you don't believe in their practice and engage in arguments to prove them wrong - that's just asking for fire.

So yeah. In my early stage, I did get into lots of sour arguments with the traditionalists  'cause I was too insecure with my own belief, and tried to prove them wrong. But now, I find that people will accept and respect your beliefs, as long as you don't try to invade their spiritual space.

That being said, the people at the Islamic centre that I attend are extremely nice and have been treating me well ^_^. Shalom.
?For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe.?

?When you judge another you do not define them, you define yourself.?

?Time may heal physical pain but only love can heal emotional pain.?

?My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened.?

Mushu

Quote from: JewishDude on December 22, 2010, 11:13:49 PM
I am curious to know how many Quran Alone muslims go to Jumah prayers at a Mosque or Islamic center and how are they treated.  I know many of you on there do not perform salat 5 times a day maybe 3 or some none.  But do any of you go to a Mosque?  Are you treated well?

Just curious.... 

Shalom, Salam, Peace

I'm treated fine whenever I go to pray at my local mosque.  I know some people are curious as to why I don't say salaam to my shoulders at the end of the prayer, but no one has approached me yet.  If they do I can politely point out that it's not even obligatory according to traditionalists anyway.  Generally, I find people mind their own business at the mosque.

"There is one thing in this world which must never be forgotten. If you were to forget everything else, but this one thing, then you may have no fear; but were you to remember to do every single thing, but forget that one thing, then you would have done nothing at all."  - Jalal Uddin Rumi

[URL=htt

TXVTGAmom

Shalom, Peace  :)

I go only to the most progressive masjid around and I'm treated well. It is an hour's drive for me. I don't go very often anymore because of all the hadith stuff. It is a very open and welcoming masjid, more than the rest in the city & suburbs here (why are the suburbs so fundy for all religions here?). That said, I don't advertise my differences. I'm too tired and old.  :D

Magnus

Salaam!

I've had different mosque experience, but more as a seeker and not so much as an aware Quran Muslim.

Before I knew the Quran I came to a basement mosque with many questions about God. I met generosity and love, but also concern from some, judgement and hostility from others, with heads full of hadith and arrogant hearts. My christian background made me think of Jesus' alleged words to the pharisees.

Later in a different, bigger mosque I was able to truly read a Quran translation for the first time in my life. They closed down, made me leave and wouldn't let me borrow the Book overnight when all I wanted to do was read.

After learning the difference between the Quran and hadith I came to argue with sunnis who treated me with splendid hospitality and managed to convince me to give sunnism a second go, may God forgive me. It didn't last long though, praise God.

I haven't gone back to any of the sunni mosques in town since I became truly rooted in the Quran. I do not feel drawn to them as places, or the people I have met in them, or the sermons that are delivered.  If God wills I will go there again some day.
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Mutazilaah

Shalom JewishDude,

You are right that according to many Quran only Muslims the Salat is not the 5 time daily ritual that Sunnism and Shi'ism demonstrate, and I don't believe that the Salat is the five daily ritual either - BUT that doesn't mean I haven't learned the Sunni and Shi'a Salat and don't occasionally practice it. If you want to know why I still practice it sometimes I can explain, just ask ... in any event, when I do go to Sunni or Shi'a Mosques, most of them do not even know that I am Qur'an only, unless we've gotten into theological debates/conversations before, which I only have with people who I personally feel might benefit from the conversation versus just arguing for the sake of arguing.  So for the most part because there are so many Muslims in the masjid to begin with, usually I just go in listen to the Khutba, observe the traditional rituals and leave just like everyone else does.
I chose revelation (Quran), Ilm al Kalam (rationality) and Tassawuf (spirituality) as my path instead of dogma, tradition (sunnah) and hearsay (ahadith).