Author Topic: C.H. Becker - History of Muslim Worship  (Read 4973 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
C.H. Becker - History of Muslim Worship
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:12:30 AM »
Scholarly article on history of Muslim worship, starting from the earliest times to formalisation. Very very interesting information.

original link expired

later edit:
http://www.islam-and-muslims.com/Becker-history-of-muslim-worship.pdf
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
Re: C.H. Becker - History of Muslim Worship
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
For some reason this doesn't work for me

We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Roshan

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
Scholarly article on history of Muslim worship, starting from the earliest times to formalisation. Very very interesting information.

http://www.filedropper.com/ch-becker-history-muslim-worship

click [Download This File]

Peace:

Extremely interesting. It seems that a day of gathering was organised as per the Quran, but then with later influence from Christianity came to resemble what we know today. Initially, it was relatively informal, but then moved the other way.

So, in other words, a progression away from the Quran presumably with backing from the hadith, even though much of it was made (up) during the Ummayd era.

One thing that I am struck by is that early Muslims must have had a huge inferiority complex concerning Christianity. This must be the reason for the second coming myth and attributing miracles to Muhammad (as well as the above) that one can read about in the hadith.

Roshan

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:38:41 AM »
peace,

I particularly liked how the author laid it out, step by step, how formalisation took place.

One thing that I am struck by is that early Muslims must have had a huge inferiority complex concerning Christianity. This must be the reason for the second coming myth and attributing miracles to Muhammad (as well as the above) that one can read about in the hadith.

This is a reasonable observation, and this is also said by some authors I have read. Like today, most individual and communal religious practice are rituals and not really recitation, study and implementation of a book. Also consider back in those days very few would have had access to AQ, so rituals made up the main part of their daily lives. This book makes a strong case for early islam being very inclusive and flexible, and when islam spread I have no doubt a fusion of practice/beliefs/rituals took place, with inevitable competition amongst various faiths for which one had most legitimacy/authority, which was most impressive, whose prophet was best, who won the greatest battles, polemics, theological debates etc. Throw in the favourite pastime of Arabic culture at the time for oral storytelling for entertainment, then you have the perfect backdrop for corruption to ensue. The book also mentions that whilst things were inclusive early on, later there is a movement to distinguish the muslim community from other faiths, hence formalisation. This is also said by other authors.

In summary, it seems the earliest sources significantly damage the credibility of the homogeneous version of Islam as we know it today. I have only recently had access to such works and even I was surprised by the variance/contradiction.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

hope4

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:29 AM »
For some reason this doesn't work for me

Same here
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

BornAgain

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »
Sarah and hope4, the link works fine for me.
?For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe.?

?When you judge another you do not define them, you define yourself.?

?Time may heal physical pain but only love can heal emotional pain.?

?My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened.?

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
got it now, thanks.
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Ayisha

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »
peace,

I particularly liked how the author laid it out, step by step, how formalisation took place.

This is a reasonable observation, and this is also said by some authors I have read. Like today, most individual and communal religious practice are rituals and not really recitation, study and implementation of a book. Also consider back in those days very few would have had access to AQ, so rituals made up the main part of their daily lives. This book makes a strong case for early islam being very inclusive and flexible, and when islam spread I have no doubt a fusion of practice/beliefs/rituals took place, with inevitable competition amongst various faiths for which one had most legitimacy/authority, which was most impressive, whose prophet was best, who won the greatest battles, polemics, theological debates etc. Throw in the favourite pastime of Arabic culture at the time for oral storytelling for entertainment, then you have the perfect backdrop for corruption to ensue. The book also mentions that whilst things were inclusive early on, later there is a movement to distinguish the muslim community from other faiths, hence formalisation. This is also said by other authors.

In summary, it seems the earliest sources significantly damage the credibility of the homogeneous version of Islam as we know it today. I have only recently had access to such works and even I was surprised by the variance/contradiction.
Any chance of scanning This book at a later date?
In the name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe,
The Compassionate, The Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Judgement!
You alone we worship, and to You alone we turn for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
The path of those You have favoured,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:27:09 AM »
Highly unlikely. See the review on amazon.com by "groggy in seattle", covers pretty much the main points.

www.studyQuran.org

ths

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
Salaam wakas, I keep getting redirected to the main page when I click on the link
فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَاتِ ۚ
So strive as in a race in all virtues!
5:48