News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

If you face a specific direction when you do salat... - read this

Started by Wakas, December 05, 2010, 09:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmkhan

Salaam,

It is not possible to face to kaaba, if we live far far away from kaaba, then we might be under the kaaba on the globe as it is round/oval, then how can we face it.

May Allah guide us all to His path and increase us all in true knowledge.  :pr
Mohammed M. Khan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

Wakas

peace ths,

QuoteThis is slightly off topic, but I just wanted to point out that this isn't a very strong argument. In pondering the infamous 4:34, I often wonder the exact same thing. If the vast majority of people will misunderstand this verse and fail to adhere to it, and the word 'idrab' is very close in meaning to another word, then why would God not make it absolutely clear? You have ignored these questions in the case of 4:34, but in this case you stand by the 'argument from mass failure to adhere.'

I have covered this in Quran434.com, see the 'summary with conclusion' section. Also, you have erred as it is not a like for like comparison. In the case of the verses in this thread, it is very difficult to impossible to actually adhere to what they think AQ says. In the traditional interpretation of 4:34 their interpretation is relatively simple to follow.

QuoteWhat are your impressions of that video?

His background/intro to the subject is fine for the most part, and he provides a more accurate traditional interpretation than what is commonly thought, e.g. many Muslims seem to think one can go straight to DRB without doing the other steps first, when this is not the case. It would be extremely unlikely for Hamza Yusuf to come to the same conclusions as Quran434.com simply because it would seem he does not fully go by AQ and he fails to cover many points. Of course, that would be too detailed and perhaps problematic for him to cover in a lecture, but it was interesting noting how he skips over and distorts a few things, e.g. he says all the exegetes say 4:34 is not about fearing by the husband its about the wife entering into gross disobedience, i.e. something blatant, see from 16:40 in the video, when this is not the case at all.

I am of the view that the case put forth in Quran434.com is now overwhelming. For me, there is no other answer, I am confident of that. Much to my surprise I might add, hence publishing it as a book, which should be available in a few months.

###

I agree that verses are dense with meaning. You may be interested to know that in "K. al nasikh wa-l-mansukh" by Abu Ubaid al-Qasim b. Sallam (d. 224AH/839), one of the earliest works in its field and available to read here, he refers to 8 different interpretations of this verse (some of them absurd I might add). It is clear, that even in the early period, there was no definitive known meaning of these verses. Interestingly, Quran commentators such as Richard Bell have commented that these verses are virtually unintelligible. Of course, if only he and others had disregarded Tradition, it may have been much clearer.

Can you clarify how you rendered it as "And to everyone is a direction that God is its turner (to himself)" and "wherever you are God comes with you all". I have them as "And for each is a direction he turns towards it (or "..he is a turner to it)" and "God will bring you all together" respectively.

I have made notes on these verses, as part of my SJD article, but they are only in rough form.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]