News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Quran alone interpreted according to whom?

Started by Tamara, July 17, 2010, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamara

Is 'Quran alone' even possible?  This implies everyone reads words on a page exactly the same way with the same meaning.  Perhaps Quran along is actually the practice of each individual constructing their own compilation of Hadith from their own interpretations of Quran.

kgwithnob

Quote from: Tamara on July 17, 2010, 02:55:02 PM
Is 'Quran alone' even possible?  This implies everyone reads words on a page exactly the same way with the same meaning.  Perhaps Quran along is actually the practice of each individual constructing their own compilation of Hadith from their own interpretations of Quran.

The Prophet (pbuh) is commanded, throughout the Qur'aan, to FOLLOW the Qur'aan ALONE. Is it possible?

Peace,
Khalil

jaythikay99

Quote from: kgwithnob on July 17, 2010, 05:23:30 PM
The Prophet (pbuh) is commanded, throughout the Qur'aan, to FOLLOW the Qur'aan ALONE. Is it possible?

Peace,
Khalil

People are commanded, throughout the Qur'aan, to FOLLOW Allah and Messenger. Is it possible?

Wootah

Quote from: RasulHamsa on July 17, 2010, 06:47:50 PM

People are commanded, throughout the Qur'aan, to FOLLOW Allah and Messenger. Is it possible?

When I read these conversations from my world view the source of the 'problem' occurs to me as the concept of Tawhid. My oneness of God and your oneness of God are different. This is exactly why sharia law rules Islam. No one in Islam knows God, he is unknowable other than he is God and he is one but everything else is probably some form of shirk. So yes I do think it is right to question whether - is it possible?

Tawhid. Who knew it could be so decisive.  :rotfl:
I'm a Christian ... just letting you know.

Jack

Is 'Quran alone' even possible?  This implies everyone reads words on a page exactly the same way with the same meaning.

Are you serious? How/where did you come up with such an outlandish implication?

This is like saying: Is God alone even possible? This implies that everyone views God exactly the same way...
Utter nonsense.

To those who missed it, Rasulhamsa's reply was clearly tongue in cheek.  ::)
You gotta follow the truth even it brings the whole thing crumbling down around you - Sam Tyler, Life on Mars (UK)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense

kgwithnob

Rasul! You really seem to be frightened of the word Qur'aan. "FALLOW Allah" is an impossibility. Following the word of ALLAAH, i.e. the Qur'aan, is the way. The messenger Muhammad (pbuh) himself did not follow anything but the word of GOD / ALLAAH (SWT). In the Qur'aan ALLAAH (SWT) commands the MUSLIM community to follow the messenger because he was a living messenger at the time of revelation of the Qur'aan. After Muhammad's death how anyone can follow him. The only POSSIBLE way to follow a dead person is to die just the same and follow him / her to the grave!

Peace,
Khalil

nerspi

as if following hadith and sunnah means being united in everything, views on quran, lifestyle... yeah right

SarahY

Peace Tamara

Aren?t we to follow what we understand and believe? Wouldn?t we be hypocrites otherwise? Possibly majority of people don?t even study and just take on board assumptions, thoughts and guesses... besides having our cultural baggage as influences on all that we do even think. So people try to unlearn and remove bias from themselves to try and purify their thoughts.

Are you asking can everyone who follows quran alone have the same conclusion in the end? If so, why not? It all depends on the approach. That?s the underling factor, if their approach is the same then more than likely they would read the words on a page the exact same way.

Wakas wrote an article on how to study quran, it?s quite good
http://www.quran434.com/study-method.html

how many people who actually study the quran can say they fulfil appropriate study techniques? Also variation in outcomes/implementation is not necessarily a detriment.

peace
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Khalil79

Is submission through the Qur'an possible? Let's take a look at the blessed Qur'an itself:

'The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong).'
2:185

'Shall I seek other than Allah for judge, when He it is who has revealed to you this scripture, fully explained? Those whom we gave the scripture (before) know it is revealed from your lord in truth. So be not (Muhammad) of the waverers.

'Perfected is the Word of your Lord in truth and justice. There is nothing that can change his words. He is the Hearer, Knower'
6:114-115

"Qur'an alone" is not just possible, it is commanded in the Qur'an itself. The Qur'an is God's word; a guidance direct from our Lord: perfect, complete, consistent, and with clear proofs. Not only that, none of these qualities apply to the Hadith or Sunnah, which are the writings of men, not the Lord of the worlds.

The "implication" that Quranists/Muslims all read the Qur'an in the same way is completely untrue, and to be frank, makes no sense. We don't look to the thousands of (unauthentic, contradictory, and even un-Islamic and vile) Hadiths and the Sunnah to tell us what our opinions on this, that or the other should be, and how we should move this way or that. We share knowledge and ideas, not submit unthinkingly to alleged scholars, Sheiks and Imams. We seek only Allah, The Beneficient, The Merciful, The Lord of the Worlds, The Creator.

Quranism is to open our hearts to the word of God, and the word of God alone, so that the truth may be revealed to us, through prayer, patience and contemplation.

OPF

It is said that we must follow Allah and his messenger, not specifically the human named as such. Following the messenger can be carried out by following his message, we are not able to speak to the messenger at this present moment.

As for following Allah? Now most people give up here and think "what the hell". They then think that following Allah = following quran and that following rasool = following "sunnah". Now in my mind, this reeks of disbelief. You speak about Allah 24/7 and bleat his word and his supposed sayings without a thought but really, do you actually believe with certitude that "He" exists?

If so, then the answer is ever clear as to what following ALLAH is:

[2:186] - And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way.

Do we have a better idea now as to what following ALLAH is? I do think so.

Is 'Quran alone' even possible?  This implies everyone reads words on a page exactly the same way with the same meaning.  Perhaps Quran along is actually the practice of each individual constructing their own compilation of Hadith from their own interpretations of Quran.

No two people ever really share the same interpretation of ANY book. Even in mathematics, a subject where there is zero room for misinterpretation, one can use different mental models to understand the core matter at hand. Using these different models still provide the same result.

This is purely because of the way our minds work; every word has a set of connotations and as different people have had different experiences, the mind map between words can be different even though on the outside, there is still a consistent language.

In any case, if quran alone is indeed "compiling our own ahadeeth", it's a good thing we have a few compilations that show us exactly how it should not be done. Praise to ALLAH.

Quote from: kgwithnob on July 18, 2010, 12:11:34 AM
"FALLOW Allah" is an impossibility.

Actually, it is the ONLY possibility.