News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

What does ALLAH SUBHANA WA TA'ALA mean?

Started by herbman, May 11, 2010, 06:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbman

Peace all,

I am very interested to understand what ta'ala means and what form is it?  How gramaticaly TA of ta'ala can be explained etc?
Is is it from root 3a-la-ya = to put high
Can anyone help on this, just out of curiosity.
Also can someone point a verse in Al Quran where is it used? Or is it like "takbir" (Allahu Akbar) a human invention?

Thanks

david_rs_aitken

Peace Herbman,

Good question. It's actually "subhanahu" (be he glorified), not just "subhana". My search yeilded the following results:

6:100
سبحنه وتعلى عما يصفون
Be he glorified in the highest, above what they describe.

10:18
سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون
Be he glorified in the highest, above what they set up.

16:1
سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

17:43
سبحنه وتعلى عما يقولون
Be he glorified in the highest, above what they say.

30:40
سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

39:67
سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

All these passages seem to be saying the same thing - falsehood about the god is countered by his limitless glory, which is raised high above what they describe, set up, and say (yasifun / yushrikun / yaqulun). My humble translation of "in the highest" is unrefined, and I'm sorry that I do not know how we grammatically arrive at the word (taala). I too would be very interested in some kind of grammatical explanation.

Peace,

-David

herbman

Quote from: david_rs_aitken on May 11, 2010, 04:05:07 PM
Peace Herbman,

Good question. It's actually "subhanahu" (be he glorified), not just "subhana". My search yeilded the following results:

سبحنه وتعلى عما يصفون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يقولون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

All these passages seem to be saying the same thing - falsehood about the god is countered by his limitless glory, which is raised high above what they describe, set up, and say (yasifun / yushrikun / yaqulun). My humble translation of "in the highest" is unrefined, and I'm sorry that I do not know how we grammatically arrive at the word (taala). I too would be very interested in some kind of grammatical explanation.

Peace,

-David

Salam, Peace,

Thanks for your input.

As per Lane's Lexicon p 2144:

تعلى  means he was or became exalted or extolled: and he exalted himself: and in bove of these senses it is often followed by عن as syn. with  على denoting superiority
you say تعلى فلان عن كذا  meaning such a one was or became exalted above such a thing. etc

Regards

Alen

Peace be upon you,
with all due Respect.

Glory be to God, The Lord of the worlds.
This is how one of my researches started back in 1999.
May God guides us all.

Peace.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

herbman

Quote from: Alen on May 17, 2010, 09:09:11 AM
Peace be upon you,
with all due Respect.

Glory be to God, The Lord of the worlds.
This is how one of my researches started back in 1999.
May God guides us all.

Peace.

Peace, and thanks for your message,

My conclusion regarding the grammar here is:

when someone says "Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala" the form is not totaly correct because "ta'ala" is normally followed by  "عن" to have the meaning "to be high above smthg.
In the verses quoted by david_rs_aitken  we see that all the occurences are followed by "عما " 'amaa wich is a contraction of "عن"+ "ما" !
"Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala" is therefore not a complete sentence, we should continue saying " 'amaa yasifun / yushrikun / yaqulun" to be completly accurate.

Regards

Alen

Quote from: herbman on May 17, 2010, 09:19:02 AM
Peace, and thanks for your message,

My conclusion regarding the grammar here is:

when someone says "Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala" the form is not totaly correct because "ta'ala" is normally followed by  "عن" to have the meaning "to be high above smthg.
In the verses quoted by david_rs_aitken  we see that all the occurences are followed by "عما " 'amaa wich is a contraction of "عن"+ "ما" !
"Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala" is therefore not a complete sentence, we should continue saying " 'amaa yasifun / yushrikun / yaqulun" to be completly accurate.

Regards

Peace be upon you,
with all due respect.

Thanks, most people here don't know this and even some sunnis here don't know this. Slovenia was a part of Jugoslavia and during communism Islam was prohibited as was learning anything new.

God bless you.
Peace.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

Mazhar

Quote from: herbman on May 11, 2010, 06:18:27 AM
Peace all,

I am very interested to understand what ta'ala means and what form is it?  How gramaticaly TA of ta'ala can be explained etc?
Is is it from root 3a-la-ya = to put high
Can anyone help on this, just out of curiosity.
Also can someone point a verse in Al Quran where is it used? Or is it like "takbir" (Allahu Akbar) a human invention?

Thanks

Root: ع ل و  (ى
Words from this Root in the Grand Qur'aan:
a) Total occurrences: 70 
b) No of constructions: 35

The basic perception infolded in the Root ع ل و is to rise, exaltation, loftiness, honour and grandeur and basic perception in the Root ع ل ى is "to mount". As is suggested by the Lexicographers the overlap between these two Roots is so great that in some cases it is not possible or even desirable to draw a line of demarcation between the two.

The word of this thread has has occurred 14 times in the Grand Qur'aan, mostly interjectionally [something said loudly and abruptly, or something inserted in a text, especially something that interrupts what is being said or alleged].

(1)6:100(2)10:18(3)16:01(4)16:03(5)17:43(6)28:68(7)30:40(8)39:67(9)72:03=9

(1)27:63=1

(1)7:190(2)20:114(3)23:116=3

(1)23:92=1

Verb [Intransitive]: Perfect; Third person; Singular; masculine; [Form-VI]. The basic meanings of this Form of Verbs is "Reflexive Causative to be Active Participle"

In view of above should it not be translated like this:

"He has kept Himself Exalted from..........."
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

FreedomStands

Quote from: Alen on May 17, 2010, 09:31:11 AM
Peace be upon you,
with all due respect.

Thanks, most people here don't know this and even some sunnis here don't know this. Slovenia was a part of Jugoslavia and during communism Islam was prohibited as was learning anything new.

God bless you.
Peace.

Do they have big breasts there?
Read these
Easy Religion in a Nutshell
[url="http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-59014.html"]http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-59014.html[/url]
This may answer many questions!
[url="https://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-505254.html"]https://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-505254.html[/url]
Kindly email me: [email]foxyfoxgames@gmail.com[/email]

The Sardar

Quote from: david_rs_aitken on May 11, 2010, 04:05:07 PM
Peace Herbman,

سبحنه وتعلى عما يصفون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يقولون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

سبحنه وتعلى عما يشركون

Peace,

-David

Quote from: herbman on May 17, 2010, 06:08:48 AM
Salam, Peace,

Thanks for your input.

As per Lane's Lexicon p 2144:

تعلى  means he was or became exalted or extolled: and he exalted himself: and in bove of these senses it is often followed by عن as syn. with  على denoting superiority
you say تعلى فلان عن كذا  meaning such a one was or became exalted above such a thing. etc

Regards

Now that's interesting!