Author Topic: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back  (Read 71036 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
Re: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »
The answer to your question is specifically addressed at www.Quran434.com

"...then appoint a judge..." (Arabic: ibAAatho hakaman, roots: Ba-Ayn-Thal, Ha-Kaf-Miim), literally means to put in motion or send/appoint a judge/arbiter. The Arabic confirms that the plural "you" can ONLY refer to someone/something in a position to put this in motion, so it cannot mean either side's family for example. Also, appointing an arbiter from each side is not a simple task as it would require representations from husband and wife or each side of the family, and suggests the process has become formalised, i.e. judicial. This clearly confirms the court/authority is involved at this stage.

Have you read it?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Peace Wakas,

Thanks for the reply, according the websites translation below "if they obey you" pertains to the husband
being obeyed, is this correct, if so please elaborate.

The men are supporters/maintainers of the women with what God bestowed on some of them over others
and with what they spent of their money, so the righteous women are dutiful; guardians to the unseen with
what God guarded. And as for those women you fear their disloyalty, then: (first) you shall advise them, and
(second) abandon them in the bed, and (lastly) cite them. If they obeyed you, then seek not against them a
way; Truly, God is High, Great. [4:34]

And if you (authority) feared a rift between them two, then appoint a judge from his family and a judge from
hers. If they both want to reconcile, then God will bring agreement between them. God is Knowledgeable,
Expert. [4:35]

God bless

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2014, 02:12:12 AM »
Again, the answer to your question is specifically addressed at www.Quran434.com

I recommend reading it.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2014, 05:38:51 AM »
Peace Wakas,

Thanks again, at the moment I have no time to study such a lengthy article.

God bless

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

aqua

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »
I am working on a website similar to Quran434.com, on which I intend to summarise the views I have expressed in this thread.  Verse 4:34 was the first verse I had difficulty understanding in my teenage years, and ultimately it was an article online which enlightened me on the more likely meaning.  I think it's important for people to have access to such interpretations and to be aware of the level of misinterpretation the Qur'an has suffered.  I don't have a date of completion, but I will post a link when it is complete (God-willing).

As promised, I have completed my article on verse 4:34 of the Qur'an and have published it on a dedicated website.  The website is www.quranverse434.com .  I have tried to keep the article concise by not being unnecessarily lengthy, yet thorough by covering all the relevant points.  Let me know what you all think. You can click on the image below to be taken to the website.

uq

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
Peace aqua,

I commend you, my brother.

The article is thoroughly detailed, easy to read, well-laid out, well-written, rational, cohesive, articulate, accurate, and revealing.

It must have taken you some time to compose it, but your effort shines through.

I will share it on my Facebook profile.

I am of the opinion that God, the most merciful, would not possibly instruct the believers to beat their wives at a time when marital relations are already strained. However, the rules of Arabic grammar get in the way of this understanding.

The only way out of understanding the verse as "beat them" is ? as you point out ? to postulate that the early readers of the Quran misread وأضربوهن for واضربوهن . This is not an unlikely case.

Thanks again for sharing.

Usamah
uq

aqua

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
Peace aqua,

I commend you, my brother.

The article is thoroughly detailed, easy to read, well-laid out, well-written, rational, cohesive, articulate, accurate, and revealing.

It must have taken you some time to compose it, but your effort shines through.

I will share it on my Facebook profile.

I am of the opinion that God, the most merciful, would not possibly instruct the believers to beat their wives at a time when marital relations are already strained. However, the rules of Arabic grammar get in the way of this understanding.

The only way out of understanding the verse as "beat them" is ? as you point out ? to postulate that the early readers of the Quran misread وأضربوهن for واضربوهن . This is not an unlikely case.

Thanks again for sharing.

Usamah

Thank you for the positive comments. Glad to hear that you agree.

Firedragon

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
This is the first time I have seen such an effort on one point of any book. A crucial point no doubt. Because of people like you we have less work and better understanding.

Thank you again.

Peace.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
In Jonathan Brown's new book he reviews Traditional Islamic understandings of 4:34 with some interesting insights, p268 onwards.
For those familiar with his previous book on Hadith, it is likely this work will be of similar standard. I personally found his book on Hadith to be excellent. In this work there seems to be many gems also, e.g. he cites a hadith in which the prophet requested a woman to lead a mixed gender congregation prayer. He also discusses the 'Quran Only' movement.

www.studyQuran.org

Unbeliever

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
Why does it take 40 pages or even any "holy book" at all to validate that wife beating is wrong? Doesn't thinking about our own moms give us empathy enough to know that is wrong without being told?