Author Topic: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back  (Read 70956 times)

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2011, 08:02:27 AM »
Sister,

Thanks, You have clarified the point by this quote that Riqabe does not exclusively refer to "leading soldoers" type of thing.

Samia

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +9/-1
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Sister,

Thanks, You have clarified the point by this quote that Riqabe does not exclusively refer to "leading soldoers" type of thing.

I do not care about what soldiers, leading or leaders. The point is the advise or command is not to cut necks but to attack important soldiers of the army.

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
I do not care about what soldiers, leading or leaders. The point is the advise or command is not to cut necks but to attack important soldiers of the army.

Sorry Sister,

Again both sentences are self contradictory. Leading stands substituted by "important". The only different perception which I can now draw from the last sentence is that the scene is not to kill the enemy on mass scale but selectively kill.

Samia

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +9/-1
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Sorry Sister,

Again both sentences are self contradictory. Leading stands substituted by "important". The only different perception which I can now draw from the last sentence is that the scene is not to kill the enemy on mass scale but selectively kill.

Yes. In war you choose whom to kill or disable in order to cut short your losses.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
peace/salaam all,

Good news.  :)

www.Quran434.com's understanding has now been officially added to QXP latest edition.

The book is now available in kindle format for $1 (the PDF is free on the website)

If you have a facebook account, please like the facebook page

And lastly, I am looking for distributors in North America who are willing to send a copy to Muslim journals/magazines/authors/scholars/academics/organisations. I can cover the books and postage costs, all you need to do is find potential recipients and send them in the mail. I may be able to provide a list.

###

?He who bemoans the lack of opportunity forgets that small doors many times open up into large rooms.?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »
peace all,

I have updated the work to include:

Quote from: source
It has been argued that idriboohunna in 4:34 means "separate (from) them" ('Quran: a Reformist Translation') or "go away from them" ('The Sublime Quran' by Laleh Bakhtiar), which interestingly has some support in the traditional commentaries and fits better than "strike/beat". However, I feel this translation is possible only as long as it does not imply divorce/talaq, as The Quran always uses the word talaq to mean divorce AND since the contract-breaking party compensates the other, it would be unfair for the husband to initiate divorce when he has done nothing wrong in this case. There are other problems with this understanding:
1) it is not quite a conflict-resolution step and if not meant to imply divorce/talaq then it seemingly penalises the husband implying he should move out.
2) any degree of leaving/separating/shunning may fall afoul of doing iAAradan (alienation / turning away) in 4:128, thus such a step may give the wife a legitimate reason for ending the marriage, thus unless clarified/limited this meaning does not fit well.
3) results in incoherence when DRB is used with a human as the direct object (see 43:57 and 2:73)
4) requires the insertion of "from" making this the only DRB example of this kind in The Quran, even though the preposition "AAn /from" is used with DRB in 43:5 in a very similar usage as being suggested here for 4:34.
5) provides no explanation as to how the authority find out about the issue in the marriage by 4:35
6) makes little sense when in the reversed role 4:128-129, discussed later.
7) has no supporting example in Quran, see below.

An answer that can provide perfect coherence within The Quran is the ideal.
As we can see, a mechanism should exist that allows the authority to be notified and resolves a situation like this in a fair manner. We will now review examples from The Quran itself to see if an answer is given.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

The_Chimp

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
peace all,

I have updated the work to include:

any degree of leaving/separating/shunning may fall afoul of doing iAAradan (alienation / turning away) in 4:128, thus such a step may give the wife a legitimate reason for ending the marriage, thus unless clarified/limited this meaning does not fit well.

The underlying motivation of "Quran only" is to apply morality to the book rather than taking from it. How unsurprising the the recurring themes are to do away with the 7th century Arabian morality and replace it with Modern Enlightenment values.

Some of the embarrassments to be done away with and discussed on this board are:

1. Permissibility of Alcohol.

2. Women's rights and roles.

3. Marriage and Polygamy.

4. Praying

5. Sexuality.

Reforms happen . . . but to this extent?

Man of Faith

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Why not, Mr. Chimp?

Peace
Website reference: http://iamthatiam.boards.net

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
The_Chimp,
I see you talk much but evidence little. Feel free to refute (with evidence) the understanding of www.Quran434.com

Perhaps then we can see which option is more Quran based.

www.studyQuran.org

The_Chimp

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
The_Chimp,
I see you talk much but evidence little. Feel free to refute (with evidence) the understanding of www.Quran434.com

Perhaps then we can see which option is more Quran based.

This is forum - by its type one doesn't write realms.

Also - know one really takes things seriously - hence the silly and often ridiculous arguments - resorting to childish name calling.

- - -

I am still waiting for the Prayer debate! What happened to that?

Then there was your awkward fumble - at refuting 5 prayers, by pointing to a document showing Muslims did not pray before the order of 5 prayers came along!

So there isn't that much point of making long rambling refutations . . .

- - -

The point is general - the motivation of such interpretation is having a different "morality" . . . some people never reconcile and become non-Muslims.

If you are in UK - Sarfraz Manzoor:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jb3n5

- - -

If that is your article:

You were ALWAYS going to find that Daraba in 4:34 did not mean "beat".