Author Topic: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back  (Read 71017 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
Re: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »
peace Mazhar,

Please explain clearly how the mood of the verb does not support my contention.

Thanks.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
[فعل مضارع مرفوع بثبوت النون] Verb: Imperfect; Second person; plural; masculine; Mood: Indicative; [و- ضمير متصل في محل رفع فاعل] Subject pronoun, in nominative state;  مصدر-خَوْفٌ Verbal noun. (1)4:34(2)6:81(3)8:26(4)48:27=4

It indicates an act which does not take place at any one particular time, to the exclusion of any other point in time, but which takes place all the time, or rather in speaking of which no notice is taken of time, but only of duration [in English the indefinite present]. A verb in the indefinite aspect  is used when the beginning or ending of an action, an event, or condition is unknown or unimportant to the meaning of the sentence. The indefinite aspect is also used to indicate an habitual or repeated action, event, or condition.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
Uha, and how does that disprove my contention? Please explain clearly.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Kukumber

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
Thankyou

Kukumber

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2011, 12:44:31 AM »
I don't know why some times a clear thing seems not clear.

Pl put the contention and the perception of the verb side by side, may be it seems clear.

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:34 AM »
Maybe because the way you put it is not so clear Mazhar. Other people reading this thread have little to no idea of what your issue is with that quote you selected, you do grammatical hit and runs in the hope that people get you, and it's really not enough to be clear.

What are you saying anyways with the grammar tidbit? Presence or absence is not an issue? Which seems to be explained by fear and find by Wakas? Can you please clarify?
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2011, 02:18:39 AM »
Bro Mazhar, it is not clear because you do not make it clear. I have noticed that you often state grammatical information and allude to this being problematic for an interpretation someone has given, but rarely clarify how it is problematic. I suggest to you the so-called problem is one of your own making, most probably related to not understanding what I have written.

What you stated about the verb perfectly aligns with what I wrote.

www.studyQuran.org

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »
Maybe because the way you put it is not so clear Mazhar. Other people reading this thread have little to no idea of what your issue is with that quote you selected, you do grammatical hit and runs in the hope that people get you, and it's really not enough to be clear.

What are you saying anyways with the grammar tidbit? Presence or absence is not an issue? Which seems to be explained by fear and find by Wakas? Can you please clarify?

What Wakas is suggesting is also based upon what he derives from the Arabic words. He says, "so it is reasonable to assume it refers to something not done in the husband's presence. This could be related to the earlier use of "...guardians to the unseen...". If we take these factors into account, it suggests unseen "disloyalty/infidelity/ill-conduct/rebellion" in some way." Words like "Unseen "disloyalty/infidelity" are loaded with something of extreme negativity while there is no such thing indicated by the word used as object of "fear".
And "unseen by husabd" denotes something done during the time of his absence. The verb does not support this. Contrary to the baseless presumption of many people that a word may have many meanings, each verb signifies something specific.

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2011, 02:42:40 AM »
Should we fear the man getting a gift for his wife Mazhar, for example or vice versa?

Also, what you put forward grammatically doesn't disallow his interpretation.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »
Should we fear the man getting a gift for his wife Mazhar, for example or vice versa?

Also, what you put forward grammatically doesn't disallow his interpretation.

This needs clarification; fear is caused by apprehension of some undesirable eventuality.

It needs support argument.