News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back

Started by Wakas, February 11, 2010, 07:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakas

Update:

Dr Shabbir (author of QXP) has opted to modify his translation according to the findings of Quran434.com

I also provided a summary on the above thread, which I will post here also:

QuoteI would like to provide a short summary for those who may not wish to read the entire work (even though I strongly recommend they do):

1) idriboo/DRB was shown not to mean "beat" anywhere in The Quran
2) no Classical Arabic Dictionary references 4:34 at all nor gives DRB=beat in a comparable example, i.e. with a direct object with no prepositions, no what/where/how
3) when The Quran uses DRB to mean a physical hit/strike it ALWAYS uses the preposition "bi" (with/by)
4) The understanding of "beat/strike" causes internal contradictions within The Quran, and this is also probably why no commentator, past or present, uses The Quran itself to justify this view.
5) "beat" causes discrepancies between Traditional commentators, Traditional Ahadith and Classical Arabic dictionaries
6) the earliest Classical Arabic dictionary (Kitab Al Ayn) does not state DRB=beat as a meaning, and only indirectly does it have DRB=strike with sword.

The understanding of DRB in 4:34 as "cite / indicate / put/show forth them" (to the authority) is the ONLY understanding that provides perfect internal coherence in The Quran. It is the ONLY understanding:
1) that provides a sequential link from 4:34 to 4:35
2) to provide identical solutions between men & women in 4:34 and 4:128
3) that fits and perfectly explains 58:1-4
4) that fits the divorce procedure of The Quran and related compensation
5) that explains the reasoning behind the context of wealth/inheritance/giving/kindness etc.
6) is consistent with the use of DRB with a direct object with no prepositions, in which it always means "put/show forth"
7) that 100% matches the use of DRB when used with a person as the object, e.g. 2:73, 43:57.

All praise is due to Allah.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Wakas

peace all,

I have finished the formatting for the book version:
www.quran434.com/wife-beating-islam-quran434.doc (Word doc, right click, save as)

If people have time to proofread it for any errors or even feedback, let me know.

Proposed book cover shown below. Feel free to give feedback, or even create others.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

Mazhar

Quote from: Wakas on December 24, 2010, 02:03:22 PM
peace all,

www.quran434.com/wife-beating-islam-quran434.doc (Word doc, right click, save as)

If people have time to proofread it for any errors or even feedback, let me know.

Proposed book cover shown below. Feel free to give feedback, or even create others.

Arabic text of all Ayat where words relating to this Root are used can be seen side by side here

Root: ض ر ب

Words from this Root in the Grand Qur'aan:

a) Total occurrences: 58 

b) No of constructions: 28

The basic perception, meanings and signification of this Root has been made evident at the very first occasion of its use in the Grand Qur'aan and later by using it in this context for 31 times out of 58 occurrences
[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

Leyna

Peace, Wakas

It doesn't look professional. The layout isn't very balanced, and the image is too aggressive and sort of contradicts the message. Plus, you are using two images that have a very different illustrative style.

I'll be happy to help you with the design. Usually, I don't work for free, but this is for a very good cause. :) Maybe we can do a bit of brainstorming in this thread?

Wakas

Peace Leyna,

I'm happy to consider alternatives.

That was one I just made myself, and I'm no graphics artist!  ;D

The way I saw the image was: opening The Quran, i.e. reading/studying it, it actually knocks out the "wife beating in islam" argument, hence the picture. I was going for irony, a play on words and imagery etc.

Leyna

Quote from: Wakas on December 25, 2010, 09:04:36 AM
I'm happy to consider alternatives.

Let me think of some ideas, and I'll get back to you.

That was one I just made myself, and I'm no graphics artist!  ;D

Well, yes, obviously.  :P

No offense meant, btw.! I tend to be pretty direct, and criticizing other peoples' drafts is part of my job.  :-*

The way I saw the image was: opening The Quran, i.e. reading/studying it, it actually knocks out the "wife beating in islam" argument, hence the picture. I was going for irony, a play on words and imagery etc.

Yes, I understand your train of thought regarding the choice of pictures. Still, I believe the glove / boxing hand carries particular connotations that could be problematic.

Maybe it doesn't even need an image at all ? just a simple, catchy looking cover?

Wakas

Yes, I dont mind there not being an image as such.

Take your time, then DaRaBa what you have.

Leyna

Maybe just some sort of typographic collage with the Arabic, highlighting the "daraba" or something like that?  :hmm

Wakas

loxbox13

peace all,

Good work brother, I  appreciate it