Author Topic: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back  (Read 73945 times)

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Wife beating in islam? The Quran strikes back
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
Yes, I understand your train of thought regarding the choice of pictures. Still, I believe the glove / boxing hand carries particular connotations that could be problematic.

Also because those who advocate its meanings as "beating" they add such explanations and reservations which almost means "flowery beating".

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-1
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
I like that play of words with the Qur'an strikes back. The graphic may be misleading in the sense that it confirms what is negted with wordes, even if it is not done with that purpose. I think it defeats the thrust of the words. An image suggesting the opposite would be more congruent.

Salaam

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
peace all,

I was needing some feedback on something. I was thinking of not including "about the author" pages in the book. Mainly because to me who authors are is irrelevant to the validity of the content, but some have found it helpful to understand how the work came about. Any thoughts?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
A new cover was designed for the book:

Thoughts?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

/*JM*/

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +6/-3
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
The understanding of DRB in 4:34 as "cite / indicate / put/show forth them" (to the authority) is the ONLY understanding that provides perfect internal coherence in The Quran.

Why not translating it by "move away" / "depart" / "leave" ?
http://gender-az.org/index_en.shtml?id_doc=457
In Lane, you can find the confirmation this translation is possible.

Peace

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
peace JM,

That is what I used to think but the information is now overwhelming for the conclusions of www.Quran434.com

I recommend reading it.

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2011, 05:31:26 AM »
peace All,

I have some great news.  :)

I received the proof copy of the book and approved it, so it will be available for online purchase in most countries within a few weeks.

I am planning to distribute some copies for free and/or at a nominal price. If anyone would like a copy, personal message me your name and address for shipping.

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 08:07:41 AM »
peace All,

The book is now available to buy worldwide:
http://www.amazon.com/Wife-Beating-Islam-Quran-Strikes/dp/1461028256/

www.studyQuran.org

siki

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »

Fantastic

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
That is why the verse says: "if you fear nushuz..." instead of for example, "if you find nushuz...". In other words, nushuz is unlikely to mean something in the husband's presence or obvious/blatant in his presence as 4:34 says "if you fear", so it is reasonable to assume it refers to something not done in the husband's presence. This could be related to the earlier use of "...guardians to the unseen...". If we take these factors into account, it suggests unseen "disloyalty/infidelity/ill-conduct/rebellion" in some way.

Peace Wakas,

The mood of the verb does not support this contention.