Author Topic: I'm a new, self-professed "Believer"  (Read 6147 times)

LiberalBelief

• Beginner/Inquirer
I'm a new, self-professed "Believer"
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm in my mid 40's and I'm new here. This is my first post, and would like to share my story.

I was (and may be still partly am) a Christian. I wish to confess to everyone here that used to loath Islam. I had been brain-washed that the religion is bad and cruel and all the media-made stuff. You know what I mean.

But, I don't know why I had this sudden urge of interest in Islam for the past few months and started looking for more info on the net. Alright, God in Islam is called Allah, and, hey, He's the same God as the Christians and the Jews, so who really cares. He's GOD. Very same GOD. And, if you would allow, I would call Him as GOD as I can understand better.

A little about me: I was a very devout Catholic. I used to attend mass everyday. And, when I was about 19, in spite of having attended mass everyday, I started having minor doubts about God. Does he really exist? Well, if he does exist, then we should be able to talk to him. Alright, I experimented. I took the words of Jesus as the key: "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can tell this mountain to cast itself into the sea." (I've never cared to remember the verse number and all that. So please don't ask for references.)

So, with Jesus' "key of faith", I sat quietly on my bed one night, looking at the picture of the Holy Family at the end of the bed, believing fully that God exists, I said "Hello, God". And I heard in my mind immediately, "Hello there." I was kinda perplexed, about to loose that "faith", about to doubt that I was talking to myself, I hung on believing fully that God was really talking to me and I continued the conversation. Believe it or not, I was REALLY talking to God. I've continued doing this for years and years.

If anyone would doubt if was it really God I was talking to, let me tell you this experience. When I was in college I used to often sit by the college reservoir at night, like 1 or 2 AM, that it would be all quiet so I could talk to God in peace. One night, sitting on the grass with my knees up, after I finished my chatting with God and was about to open my eyes to get up, the Voice said "Keep your eyes closed. Don't open till I tell you." I asked why and the Voice said "Just wait". OK, if God says so then I'll wait. Not very long after that, a matter of less than a minute the Voice then told me to open my eyes.

Between my legs was the end of a cobra's tail. He came in from my left and went under my leg to my right side. I sat still and waited till he went further away. I smiled and thanked God immediately. If God did not stopped me from opening my eyes, I would have opened my eyes and moved by body while the cobra was like a foot away from me! Imagine what would have had happened!

Yes, THERE IS GOD. And anyone can talk to him, like a friend, like a father. Trust me.

Alright, that was my experience with God. Let's get on with my experience with Islam.

OK, I started having questions about Islam. We all know that ALL religions are meant to teach people to be good. With this logic, then, how can Islam teach people to go kill others? This can't be true.

I started searching into the "teachings" of Islam. At the time I had no idea of the differences between the Koran and the Hadiths and so forth. I just took them all as teachings. Then I found contradicting stuff. I was confused. But logic tells me that many teachings are more logical than others. I still didn't know the differences. Slowly I began to understand that there are collectively two kinds of "Books" -- the Koran and the Hadiths. I still couldn't understand much anyway.

I've always wanted to have a circumcision, not because of becoming a Muslim or anything, but all about cleanliness, and I had it done the first week of this year, and it was done by a Muslim "doctor". (I know there's a term for him but I don't really know what that is). I don't know why, after the circ, I suddenly had this urge of wanting to become a Muslim. I thought that it might have been a fantasy because I had the circ done by a Muslim man and that was it. But somehow the urge got stronger.

The "call" was so strong that one night, one week after the circ, I took the courage and said the Shahadah all by myself. I've professed my faith. And, man, I kinda feel like new! I didn't care if anyone was there as witness or not. God heard me, that's more than enough.

Still, my doubts in conflicting Islamic teachings were still with me. I was thinking there's no way that God can order something so cruel, but I couldn't find anything to support my thoughts. It had been a week after saying the Shahadah and I was still in doubt.

So, I knelt down and talked to God that if He wants me to be a Muslim, please let me find information about Islam that support my thoughts that God is kind and merciful, and end all that conflicting teachings.

Trust me, God wants me to be a Muslim. The FIRST CLICK on Google took me to THIS SITE. And now I understand more of the problems. No more conflicting ideas.

But I probably won't be a serious practicing Muslim anyway. I will do whatever is possible, avoid whatever is possible. But I will pray. I will praise God. And I will do it MY way. God is everywhere. I don't think it's right that I have to turn to some direction to talk to God. I will pray to Him in the language I understand (certainly not Arabic) because God is certainly not language-challenged. I will pray in whatever gesture I want. Nothing rituals. And I will still live by any good teachings of any other religion, any person (like the Prayer of St. Francis or even that of Buddha). I probably won't go on the pilgrimage. God is HERE, why go elsewhere?

In the end, I may not turn out to be a Muslim, but rather a believer of goodness.

A believer who believes in GOD ALONE.
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -- Mahatma Gandhi

MUNZIR ALI

• Wise One / Burnout
Re: I'm a new, self-professed "Believer"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm in my mid 40's and I'm new here. This is my first post, and would like to share my story.

I was (and may be still partly am) a Christian. I wish to confess to everyone here that used to loath Islam. I had been brain-washed that the religion is bad and cruel and all the media-made stuff. You know what I mean.

But, I don't know why I had this sudden urge of interest in Islam for the past few months and started looking for more info on the net. Alright, God in Islam is called Allah, and, hey, He's the same God as the Christians and the Jews, so who really cares. He's GOD. Very same GOD. And, if you would allow, I would call Him as GOD as I can understand better.

A little about me: I was a very devout Catholic. I used to attend mass everyday. And, when I was about 19, in spite of having attended mass everyday, I started having minor doubts about God. Does he really exist? Well, if he does exist, then we should be able to talk to him. Alright, I experimented. I took the words of Jesus as the key: "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can tell this mountain to cast itself into the sea." (I've never cared to remember the verse number and all that. So please don't ask for references.)

So, with Jesus' "key of faith", I sat quietly on my bed one night, looking at the picture of the Holy Family at the end of the bed, believing fully that God exists, I said "Hello, God". And I heard in my mind immediately, "Hello there." I was kinda perplexed, about to loose that "faith", about to doubt that I was talking to myself, I hung on believing fully that God was really talking to me and I continued the conversation. Believe it or not, I was REALLY talking to God. I've continued doing this for years and years.

If anyone would doubt if was it really God I was talking to, let me tell you this experience. When I was in college I used to often sit by the college reservoir at night, like 1 or 2 AM, that it would be all quiet so I could talk to God in peace. One night, sitting on the grass with my knees up, after I finished my chatting with God and was about to open my eyes to get up, the Voice said "Keep your eyes closed. Don't open till I tell you." I asked why and the Voice said "Just wait". OK, if God says so then I'll wait. Not very long after that, a matter of less than a minute the Voice then told me to open my eyes.

Between my legs was the end of a cobra's tail. He came in from my left and went under my leg to my right side. I sat still and waited till he went further away. I smiled and thanked God immediately. If God did not stopped me from opening my eyes, I would have opened my eyes and moved by body while the cobra was like a foot away from me! Imagine what would have had happened!

Yes, THERE IS GOD. And anyone can talk to him, like a friend, like a father. Trust me.

Alright, that was my experience with God. Let's get on with my experience with Islam.

OK, I started having questions about Islam. We all know that ALL religions are meant to teach people to be good. With this logic, then, how can Islam teach people to go kill others? This can't be true.

I started searching into the "teachings" of Islam. At the time I had no idea of the differences between the Koran and the Hadiths and so forth. I just took them all as teachings. Then I found contradicting stuff. I was confused. But logic tells me that many teachings are more logical than others. I still didn't know the differences. Slowly I began to understand that there are collectively two kinds of "Books" -- the Koran and the Hadiths. I still couldn't understand much anyway.

I've always wanted to have a circumcision, not because of becoming a Muslim or anything, but all about cleanliness, and I had it done the first week of this year, and it was done by a Muslim "doctor". (I know there's a term for him but I don't really know what that is). I don't know why, after the circ, I suddenly had this urge of wanting to become a Muslim. I thought that it might have been a fantasy because I had the circ done by a Muslim man and that was it. But somehow the urge got stronger.

The "call" was so strong that one night, one week after the circ, I took the courage and said the Shahadah all by myself. I've professed my faith. And, man, I kinda feel like new! I didn't care if anyone was there as witness or not. God heard me, that's more than enough.

Still, my doubts in conflicting Islamic teachings were still with me. I was thinking there's no way that God can order something so cruel, but I couldn't find anything to support my thoughts. It had been a week after saying the Shahadah and I was still in doubt.

So, I knelt down and talked to God that if He wants me to be a Muslim, please let me find information about Islam that support my thoughts that God is kind and merciful, and end all that conflicting teachings.

Trust me, God wants me to be a Muslim. The FIRST CLICK on Google took me to THIS SITE. And now I understand more of the problems. No more conflicting ideas.

But I probably won't be a serious practicing Muslim anyway. I will do whatever is possible, avoid whatever is possible. But I will pray. I will praise God. And I will do it MY way. God is everywhere. I don't think it's right that I have to turn to some direction to talk to God. I will pray to Him in the language I understand (certainly not Arabic) because God is certainly not language-challenged. I will pray in whatever gesture I want. Nothing rituals. And I will still live by any good teachings of any other religion, any person (like the Prayer of St. Francis or even that of Buddha). I probably won't go on the pilgrimage. God is HERE, why go elsewhere?

In the end, I may not turn out to be a Muslim, but rather a believer of goodness.

:welcome: to the forum.

MUNZIR ALI

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
Hello everyone!

There are a lot of different ages in the forum and that's one thing that makes this forum so Loveable. I'm a teenager.  :group:

As far as I know Allah in Arabic means "the GOD" so it's Ok to call him God or Allah. Doesn't make a difference. To Him belong the best names.  ;)
Hello everyone!

Amazing. That's a miracle. GOD is great.  :pr

Rev.John

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
Quite a story. I myself am a Christian minister, but have found that there is no difference between what I call God-alone Christians and Quran-alone Muslims. The word "muslim" just means "submitter" (to God), therefore we are all Muslims. I reject much of the added parts of the new testament just as I reject hadith. If we all learn that there is just ONE God (not three) and only one God then I believe many of the problems between the religions (and denominations of the same religions) will disappear. But anyway, welcome to the forum.  :welcome:
http://www.ChristianChurchofReality.com
Only God has the answer and only God knows the truth
www.islandminister.com

Just so you know, I am a God-alone Christian and a Church Minister

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
Quite a story. I myself am a Christian minister, but have found that there is no difference between what I call God-alone Christians and Quran-alone Muslims. The word "muslim" just means "submitter" (to God), therefore we are all Muslims. I reject much of the added parts of the new testament just as I reject hadith. If we all learn that there is just ONE God (not three) and only one God then I believe many of the problems between the religions (and denominations of the same religions) will disappear. But anyway, welcome to the forum.  :welcome:

It should be written "God Alone Muslims" then..

Whatever 'religion / sect' we are now, it is a temporary dressing and human labelling in this world.
We're all born into this world as muslim / submitter to God, we never ask this and that when we're being born into this world.
We just trust Him, submit ourselves to Him and be born into this world..

It's recommended that we should also died muslim / submitting to God.
When our time has come, we shall just trust Him that everything will be alright..

"God takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep; then He withholds those on whom He has passed the decree of death and sends the others back till an appointed term; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect."
(Quran 39:42)

To "LiberalBelief" welcome to this forum...

Salam / Peace

LiberalBelief

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
Thanks for all the welcome!

I'm here in SE Asia so my timing will probably be kinda "out of sync" with the others.

I kinda like Jafar's "God Alone Muslim" and Rev John's "God-Alone Christian" description though. Let us all be "submitters" and not be branded by any organized religion. Let us bring peace and love to this earth through our good deeds. I believe that this is the best way to praise God. Prayers would be just useless babbles if we don't live by the Words of God.

I kinda feel at ease now when I have to tell my wife that I'm now a Muslim. (Right now I'm in another part of the country). I can now explain to her that a "Muslim" is actually a "Submitter", and not whatever that has been "mis-labeled". I can be a GAM and she can be a GAC (God-Alone Muslim and God-Alone Christian, respectively) living happily together as one loving family.

Thanks again everyone. If any of my postings make you feel uncomfortable in any way please let me know so as to be able to avoid such in the future.

Cheers!

LB

PS: I should have said "Salam", right?  ;)
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -- Mahatma Gandhi

abdalquran

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:26 AM »

A 'Muslim' as the term is most widely used in the world is a cultural being. He eats, prays, dresses, is named, talks in a certain modality. This modality isn't divine but is rather a composite of a few different elements. A 'Muslim' in this sense of the word isn't one who automatically gets salvation.

A believer of goodness (by which 'belief' here automatically results in actions) is what you need to be in order to be saved.

Be of any religion but be good.
Farouk A. Peru

san

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 03:19:56 AM »
 :welcome:

Yes, THERE IS LOVE. And anyone can talk to Love, like a lover.  :)

:handshake:  :group:

True Love waits forever -- some just choose to fall in love sooner than some others. And the rest is by the way... nothing.

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 05:27:27 AM »
after reading your story i felt like saying "Hi God" lol

welcome to the forum :)

peace
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

LiberalBelief

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »
Thanks for all the welcome and the various guides. I have yet to learn a lot to be called a Muslim. But I'll slowly learn it.

after reading your story i felt like saying "Hi God" lol

welcome to the forum :)

peace

Yeah Sarah. You should do it. And you'll experience the greatest miracles. All it takes is "doubtless faith".

"There is no try. Do or do not." -- Yoda