Author Topic: having the God  (Read 1608 times)

Joe Betik

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
having the God
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
salamun alaykum,

this question has been in my mind for quite a while, so i suppose it is a good topic for discussion: "what difference does it make for one to have the God as one's god?"

whatever understanding you have regarding the above is welcome.

cheers!

mohammed noh
"When you realize the difference between the container and the content,
you will have knowledge."

- Idries Shah

Abdun Nur

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +3/-1
Re: having the God
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:11:07 PM »
Salaam Joe Betik,

I don't understand the question you have presented really, but I do have a perspective on the idea of God (as nobody else has answered you, I thought I would), I have posted on this perspective within this forum in the past, you may have read it already?

There is a difference between the concept of a God and the concept of Allah, this is the reason for the Shahada, There is no God.   Except who is not God. (Allah). This may sound puzzling until you read the explanation I have present on this link:

http://servantofthelight.com/content/view/7/27/

I also have a perspective on the physicality of the concept of Allah, as in the structure of the system, in this link:

http://servantofthelight.com/content/view/10/34/

I have a perspective on the nature of Allah underlying physical reality:

http://servantofthelight.com/content/view/92/1/

I have a perspective on each human being, I wrote this short poem:

I am.

I am a reflection of a thought,
but reflect on the thought of my reflection.

I am nothing,
just the tiniest reflection on a calm ocean,
yet at the highest extent,
I reflect all creation.

If I consider well,
my ocean mirror shines.

If I reflect inanity,
ripples spiral.

I am nothing but the thought of the ocean.

Consider well to be a good thought,
what mind would hold long to bad.

A savoured thought,
a pleasure and amusement,
I?d labour to be,
not a repulsive thought dismissed into the ocean depths of misery.

Joe Betik

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
salam Abdun Nur,

thanks for the input. allow me to ponder and meditate on what you have posted in your blog for a while. insha-Allah i'll come back to you later.

others please.

btw, perhaps a further explanation is required, as another way to look at the question i have posted:
does having the God as god made a difference to you?

mohammed noh

- Idries Shah

Rev.John

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:22:46 AM »
Having God in my life has made the world of difference to me. God has changed my life, and is still changing it day by day, always for the better.
http://www.ChristianChurchofReality.com
Only God has the answer and only God knows the truth
www.islandminister.com

Just so you know, I am a God-alone Christian and a Church Minister

Ahmad Bilal

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
Peace Mohammed Noh,

does having the God as god made a difference to you?

I think I may be misunderstanding your question. You're saying does having "God" as a god make a difference, as opposed to serving another god? Or do you mean does it make a difference, as in atheism?

Peace,

Ahmad
"The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing." - Isaac Asimov

Joe Betik

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »
salam ahmad bilal,

after reading your post, i saw at least three possible issues (but since a part of the question is 'difference' then there should be 'comparisons' or 'before-and-after' notes):
a. does having no god (atheism as you put it) made a difference to you?
b. does having god (whatever god you have faith in) made a difference to you?
c. does having God (definite; Allah or the God who created man) made a difference to you?

however, my original intent was to get some inputs or notes on whether people experienced any difference between before and after "having God as one's god." some examples:
a. i had God as my god, but after being an atheist" ...;
b. i was an atheist, but after "having God as my god" ...;
c. i was a polytheist, but after "having God as my god" ...;
d. i didn't know i was a polytheist, until after "having God as my god" ...; or
e. i had God as my god, but after "having xxxxx as my god" ... etc.

but another key part of the question 'have', which i feel is different from 'belief'. lets have some inputs.

peace

mohammed noh

- Idries Shah

Joe Betik

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
Having God in my life has made the world of difference to me. God has changed my life, and is still changing it day by day, always for the better.

salam Rev.John,

alhamdulillah! i am happy for you indeed - your attainment of the awareness on the changes in your life - its is one of God's many great gifts.

if it is alright by you, please give us an insight of your phrase of 'having God' in your life, or perhaps an idea on what does it mean to say simply 'having God'? is it the same as 'believing in God'?

peace

mohammed noh

- Idries Shah

Rev.John

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »
salam Rev.John,

alhamdulillah! i am happy for you indeed - your attainment of the awareness on the changes in your life - its is one of God's many great gifts.

if it is alright by you, please give us an insight of your phrase of 'having God' in your life, or perhaps an idea on what does it mean to say simply 'having God'? is it the same as 'believing in God'?

peace

mohammed noh

To me there is a difference between believing in God and having God. Believing in God is one thing, I believe in kangaroos although I have never seen one or been affected by one. Having God in your life is different, it starts with accepting God as an integral part of your life and seeing the effects God is having, opening your eyes to some of the changes God is bringing about, understanding, or attempting to understand what God is trying to tell you.
www.islandminister.com

Joe Betik

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
To me there is a difference between believing in God and having God. Believing in God is one thing, I believe in kangaroos although I have never seen one or been affected by one. Having God in your life is different, it starts with accepting God as an integral part of your life and seeing the effects God is having, opening your eyes to some of the changes God is bringing about, understanding, or attempting to understand what God is trying to tell you.

salam rev.john,

i share the same understanding, and experience too - there is a difference between believing in God and having God. [in fact this was the underlying factor that made me post the original question.]

and you said, "it starts with accepting God as an integral part of your life..." [i took the liberty of highlighting the word accepting as an emphasis.]

for me, to accept is to acknowledge, or to recognize. the arabic equivalent is 'rukuAA'. more info on accepting here; http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/accepting

when i was young, i believed in God, and it stopped at just that - believing. God was quite distant, as nothing much could be related to God, other than the ideas usually taught in the sunni ways.

but it took a turn when i was past my teens, as i thought God should be such & such .... (too many to put in writing. some were blatantly ridiculous, while others were fundamentals. but suffice to say i have had many thoughts about God.) an example: since God created me, i must depend on Him for everything. God is my reference. when i need to know, i ask God. when i need guidance, i seek God's guidance. when i have problems (financial, spiritual, inter-personal, etc.), i ask for His assistance & support. with God, i have a recourse. not just help, but recourse - when i did a wrong, i ask for a pardon or stay of punishment (aAAfoo), forgiveness (ighfir) and a resumption of God's rahmah (tub).

and you wrote, "... and seeing the effects God is having, opening your eyes to some of the changes God is bringing about, understanding, or attempting to understand what God is trying to tell you."

perhaps i am allowed to say that God is a personal experience indeed. at times i laughed, while at others i even cried at the humorous way God related the comprehensions. God is indeed kind, compassionate, merciful, wise, listening, and talking. so, nothing compares with having God. i am waiting for the moment when i shall see/understand things as how God would want me to see/understand, or listen/obey as how God would want me to listen/obey.

do you, or anyone else share this or other kinds of experiences with having God?

peace

mohammed noh

- Idries Shah

Rev.John

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
salam rev.john,

i share the same understanding, and experience too - there is a difference between believing in God and having God. [in fact this was the underlying factor that made me post the original question.]

and you said, "it starts with accepting God as an integral part of your life..." [i took the liberty of highlighting the word accepting as an emphasis.]

for me, to accept is to acknowledge, or to recognize. the arabic equivalent is 'rukuAA'. more info on accepting here; http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/accepting

when i was young, i believed in God, and it stopped at just that - believing. God was quite distant, as nothing much could be related to God, other than the ideas usually taught in the sunni ways.

but it took a turn when i was past my teens, as i thought God should be such & such .... (too many to put in writing. some were blatantly ridiculous, while others were fundamentals. but suffice to say i have had many thoughts about God.) an example: since God created me, i must depend on Him for everything. God is my reference. when i need to know, i ask God. when i need guidance, i seek God's guidance. when i have problems (financial, spiritual, inter-personal, etc.), i ask for His assistance & support. with God, i have a recourse. not just help, but recourse - when i did a wrong, i ask for a pardon or stay of punishment (aAAfoo), forgiveness (ighfir) and a resumption of God's rahmah (tub).

and you wrote, "... and seeing the effects God is having, opening your eyes to some of the changes God is bringing about, understanding, or attempting to understand what God is trying to tell you."

perhaps i am allowed to say that God is a personal experience indeed. at times i laughed, while at others i even cried at the humorous way God related the comprehensions. God is indeed kind, compassionate, merciful, wise, listening, and talking. so, nothing compares with having God. i am waiting for the moment when i shall see/understand things as how God would want me to see/understand, or listen/obey as how God would want me to listen/obey.

do you, or anyone else share this or other kinds of experiences with having God?

peace

mohammed noh

Great post. I agree completely
www.islandminister.com