Author Topic: Masjid & Musallah  (Read 1334 times)

1CELOSTNOWFOUND

• Apprentice
Masjid & Musallah
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
Peace All

I was wondering if anyone here has looked at the concept of Masjid v/s musallah in regards to which is the place of salat.

My study on salat & its timing is ongoing, but I came accross the word musallah in 2:125. It struck me that this is actually the place for salat & I looked to see how masjid came to known as the place for salat. What I found is that the link between masjid & salat in the quran is non-existent in most cases.

Does masjid actually refer to the place for salat?

Also 2:125 seems to be the only place in the quran where musallah is used & is taken from maqam Ibrahim. This indicates to me that salat has more to do with the stance Ibrahim took, rather than some kind of ritual. While haven't done an exhaustive study, I haven't found Ibrahim involved with any ritual in the quran from which one can extract the ritual salat. His adventures in the quran have more to do with debating through the use of sound evidence the misconceptions that existed at that time & the practical implementation of community building.

Any thoughts????

Imraan

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
Re: Masjid & Musallah
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
maqam has been discussed on the forum, similar to your thoughts. Also a simple cross reference in Al Quran shows it does not have an exclusive meaning of physical stance:
maqam n.m. 2:125, 3;97, 5:107, 10:71, 14:14, 17:79, 19:73, 26:58, 27:39, 37:164, 44:26, 44:51, 55:46, 79:40

From my studies...
"ma" in "maSJD" literally means implementation of SJD, commonly taken as place/mode/manner
"mu" in "musallah" literally means one who SLW
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Jack

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
Additionally, 2:114 is a great verse on masjid/masajid.

This has been discussed previously, e.g.

http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=8236.msg21244#msg21244

You gotta follow the truth even it brings the whole thing crumbling down around you - Sam Tyler, Life on Mars (UK)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense

ade_cool

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
From my studies...
"ma" in "maSJD" literally means implementation of SJD, commonly taken as place/mode/manner
"mu" in "musallah" literally means one who SLW

Salam Wakas,

Understand that this is an old thread so your understanding might already change ...the question that I have is: if "musallah" means one who SLW, how do we translate 2:125? And what about "musalli"? What is the difference between ""musallah" and "musalli"? The reason I am asking is because I understand "musalli" as one who SLW so if "musallah" also means the same then I would like to understand the differences.

Wassalam,
Ade

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
peace,

Yes my understanding has changed as I was mistaken previously.

"musalli" does mean one who SLW

However "musallah" in 2:125 means "time/place of SLW" according to the Arabic grammar (from the info that I have gathered).
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

ade_cool

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
peace,

Yes my understanding has changed as I was mistaken previously.

"musalli" does mean one who SLW

However "musallah" in 2:125 means "time/place of SLW" according to the Arabic grammar (from the info that I have gathered).

Thanks Wakas!

Wassalam,
Ade