Main Menu

Zakat and Sadaqat

Started by progressive1993, August 23, 2009, 12:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1CELOSTNOWFOUND

Peace Wakas

Quote from: Wakas on August 28, 2009, 01:59:20 PM
Thanks, I thought so.

So what are we saying here? Is sadaqat something that must be carried out by those who accept the system of deen set out in the quran? Or is it a voluntary act even if you accept the system of deen in the quran?

Imraan

Wakas

peace Imraan,

QuoteSo what are we saying here?

WE are saying nothing, YOU were saying something. I have no view on this at the present time, as I have not studied it. My point was to highlight your conclusion based on 9:60 may not be solid, no more no less.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

1CELOSTNOWFOUND

Peace Wakas

Quote from: Wakas on August 28, 2009, 07:15:10 PM
peace Imraan,

WE are saying nothing, YOU were saying something. I have no view on this at the present time, as I have not studied it. My point was to highlight your conclusion based on 9:60 may not be solid, no more no less.

I have no change in my view at this time. If anything, If anything, my conviction that sadaqat in terms of 9:60 IS what is described by "fareedah" is now stronger. Any way I look forward to your opinion once you have studied it.

The only thing that I would like to look at now is a more in depth study of FA-RA-DAD.

Imraan

progressive1993

Quote from Imraan in the 'Ribaa' thread:

Quote from: ImraanFirst of all sadaqaah is extremely poorly translated as charity imo. It refers to a right that people have. This is clear when one looks at the root from which it is derived. This makes much more sense to me since if it is someone's right, they don't feel that it is a hand down & it eliminates any feeling of self-righteousness on the part of the remitter. You will notice that the word sadaqaah is aslo used in relation to the "dowry" in 4:4. Surely one cannot consider this a charity to the woman. Niether can it be considered a loan to the woman. It is her right. Therefore while one must consider the context of the verse, one must also remember to use tasreef in determining the meaning. So, in your example, what is given is not charity. It is the right of the one in need to have access to it.

Interesting point. That gets me thinking of and is directly related to:

6:141 He is the One Who initiated gardens; both trellised and untrellised; palm trees, and plants, all with different tastes; and olives and pomegranates, similar and not similar. Eat from its fruit when it blossoms and give its right/due (haqq) on the day of harvest; and do not waste. He does not like the wasteful.

So would 'sadaqa' mean 'the due/right'?

It's also very interesting that the meanings of 'sadaqa' and 'haqq' are directly related (from PRL):

Sad-Dal-Qaf = to be truthful, true, sincere, speak the truth, establish or confirm the truth of what another has said, verify, keep faith, observe a promise faithfully, fulfill, speak veraciously, hold anyone as trustworthy. sadaqa fi al-qitaali -to fight gallantly. tsaddaqa - to give alms. sidqun - truth, veracity, sincerity, soundness, excellence in a variety of different objects, salubrious and agreeable, favourable entrance, praise. saadiqun - one who is true and sincere, one who speaks the truth. saadiqah - perfect woman. sadaqat (pl. saduqaat) - dowry. siddiiq - person who is trustworthy, sincere. saddaqa - to confirm, verify, fulfil. asdaqu - more true.

As far as I am aware of, 'haqq' means 'truth, due, etc.' as well. Is the root of 'haqq' on prl as well?

10:41 If they deny you, say: "My works are for me, and your works are for you. You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do."

hope4

Peace

Can anyone please help with this question: Is Zakat-ul-Fitr mentioned in the Quran?

I found the following on this:

Zakat-ul-Fitr Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), enjoined Zakat-ul-Fitr on everyone who fasts "To shield them from any indecent act or speech and for the purpose of providing food for the needy" (Related by Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah).

Every adult Muslim must pay Zakat-ul-Fitr for themselves and every person they are responsible for in Ramadan. We have calculated the cost of feeding a person for a day at ?4 and will ensure that your payment will reach people in the poorest countries of the world before the end of Ramadan.

Is there any historical evidence of Zakat-ul-fitr?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peace

Hope
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

progressive1993

Peace,

Quote from: hope4 on September 15, 2009, 08:41:54 PM
Peace

Can anyone please help with this question: Is Zakat-ul-Fitr mentioned in the Quran?

I found the following on this:

Zakat-ul-Fitr Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), enjoined Zakat-ul-Fitr on everyone who fasts "To shield them from any indecent act or speech and for the purpose of providing food for the needy" (Related by Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah).

Every adult Muslim must pay Zakat-ul-Fitr for themselves and every person they are responsible for in Ramadan. We have calculated the cost of feeding a person for a day at £4 and will ensure that your payment will reach people in the poorest countries of the world before the end of Ramadan.

Is there any historical evidence of Zakat-ul-fitr?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peace

Hope

"Zakat al fitr" is a total innovation.

1. "Zakat" is not "charity".
2. Charity (or rather, "that which is due" - "sadaqat") is to be given on each day that we receive income.
3. There is no fixed amount for charity.
10:41 If they deny you, say: "My works are for me, and your works are for you. You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do."

hope4

Quote from: progressive1993 on September 16, 2009, 12:32:25 PM
Peace,

"Zakat al fitr" is a total innovation.

1. "Zakat" is not "charity".
2. Charity (or rather, "that which is due" - "sadaqat") is to be given on each day that we receive income.
3. There is no fixed amount for charity.

Peace progressive1993

Thank you for your reply. Do we know from history when or whom introduced 'Zakat al fitr'?

Peace

Hope

afridi220

Quote from: hope4 on September 16, 2009, 05:08:49 PM
Peace progressive1993

Thank you for your reply. Do we know from history when or whom introduced 'Zakat al fitr'?

Peace

Hope

It was Bukhari who else ;D
http://navedz.wordpress.com/2009/09/14/ramadan-zakat-al-fitr/
Peace

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered; forgive them anyway

hope4

progressive1993

Quote from: afridi220 on September 17, 2009, 07:46:05 AM
It was Bukhari who else ;D
http://navedz.wordpress.com/2009/09/14/ramadan-zakat-al-fitr/

The absurdity of Sunniism (from the link):

Zakat al-Fitr is only Wajib for a particular period of time. If one misses the time period without a good reason, he has sinned and can not make it up. This form of charity becomes obligatory from sunset on the last day of fasting and remains obligatory until the beginning of Salah Eid al-Fitr (i.e. shortly after sunrise on the following day). However, it can be paid prior to the above mentioned period, as many of the Sahabah [companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him)] used to pay Sadaqah al-Fitr a couple days before the `Eid.

:rotfl:

68:7 Your Lord is fully aware of those who strayed off His path, and He is fully aware of those who are guided.
68:8 So do not obey those who deny.

68:12 Forbidder of charity, a transgressor, an evildoer.

:&