News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

2:73 - 1400 years of misinterpretation solved?

Started by Wakas, June 27, 2009, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakas

peace Taj,

Your contemplation mixes up the order of events:

Taj:
not sure about one person ---> killed them
i.e.
iddara'atum ---> killed them         ?

Quran:
killed the person ---> then iddara'atum

Also, your translations of "Iddara'atum minha: being careful from. Iddara'atum feeha:  to hide with it from.." do not correspond with Quranic usage of Dal-Ra-Alif. From PRL:

QuoteDal-Ra-Alif (Dal-Ra-Hamza) = To repel, revert, drive off; put off, avert, overcome, combat, quarrel, urge, rush suddenly, repel in a quarrel, disagree.

Yadra'u (imp. 3rd. p.m. sing.): He shall avert.
Ida'rauu (prt. 2nd. p.m. plu.): Avert; repel.
Yadra'uu (imp. 3rd. p.m. plu.): They avert; combat.
Iddara'tum (prf. 3rd. p.m. plu. IV.): You quarelled among yourselves; differed among yourselves

dara'a vb. (1)
impf. act. 13:22, 24:8, 28:54
impv. 3:168

iddara'a vb. (6) perf. act. 2:72

Lane's Lexicon, Volume 3, pages: 30, 31, 32

Interestingly, I think what we will see is that The Quran will only allow for one interpretation that makes sense, but we shall see.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

TAJ

Peace Wakas,

Quote from: Wakas on June 30, 2009, 05:56:13 PM
peace Taj,

Your contemplation mixes up the order of events:

Taj:
not sure about one person ---> killed them
i.e.
iddara'atum ---> killed them         ?

Quran:
killed the person ---> then iddara'atum

Also, your translations of "Iddara'atum minha: being careful from. Iddara'atum feeha:  to hide with it from.." do not correspond with Quranic usage of Dal-Ra-Alif. From PRL:

Interestingly, I think what we will see is that The Quran will only allow for one interpretation that makes sense, but we shall see.

I have no clue of what you are trying to say.
Can you, please, link your thoughts?

Wakas

peace Taj,

I feel it is clear enough, thus only needs careful re-reading and consideration. It does not matter though, if you come up with a translation of 2:72-73 that fits the grammar, Arabic, logic and cross-referencing, feel free to post it here.

Until then, peace.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

Wakas

I was reading Lane, and it also says DRB is used to mean "assign (e.g. a share)", especially by the lawyers / in legal rulings. Giving "assign him with some of it (the murder)" in 2:73, which is again similar to what I said and pretty much the same thing.

Seems kinda obvious in hindsight.

Shumali

Quote from: Wakas on July 04, 2009, 12:15:32 PM
I was reading Lane, and it also says DRB is used to mean "assign (e.g. a share)", especially by the lawyers / in legal rulings. Giving "assign him with some of it (the murder)" in 2:73, which is again similar to what I said and pretty much the same thing.

Seems kinda obvious in hindsight.

Does Mudarba has anything to do with this meaning of root DRB?

zigazigha

I need someone to explain to me what this means: "Indicate him with some of it (the murder)".

What does it mean? How do you indicate someone with a part of a murder?

Wakas

Quote from: zigazigha on March 27, 2020, 06:12:05 PM
I need someone to explain to me what this means: "Indicate him with some of it (the murder)".

What does it mean? How do you indicate someone with a part of a murder?

Did you read the original post?

It can be taken as:

"cite/indicate or point out him with some of it (the murder)"
or
"assign him with some of it (the murder)"

Both work.

When a group of people are guilty of killing another person they take collective responsibility, i.e. each one of the guilty is assigned a part of the blame/crime.

They were blaming each other in order to obfuscate what they did. They were pointing the finger at each other, so to speak, "X did it" "Y did it" "Z did it" even though they all played a part, so the verse instructs "cite/indicate (or point out) him with some of it (the murder)", which exposed them and left them with no choice but for each to take some of the blame.