Author Topic: Is Alcohol Haraam?  (Read 1996 times)

burhan

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Is Alcohol Haraam?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »
Hello,
I'd like to know if alcohol is haraam. I know that there are different opinions about this amoung those who follow just the Quran. I'd like to read some of them please.

Thanks!

No, but asking this question should be!
Peace.

Edip Yuksel

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-2
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »
Hello, I'd like to know if alcohol is haraam. I know that there are different opinions about this among those who follow just the Quran. I'd like to read some of them please. Thanks!

If you assume that the word HARAM is the only magical word to prohibit something, then according to the Quran, idol worship is not haram, lying and cheating is not haram, either.

Let me answer the question in a style that fits the question:

Why should the consumption of alcohol be prohibited? The Quran repeatedly praises the importance of using one's intelligence and logic, and we all know that consumption of alcohol makes people sharper and smarter. Similarly, the Quran instructs us to avoid gossip, vain talk, extra marital affair, etc, and it is a well known fact that drinking alcoholic beverages makes a person avoid them. Besides, alcohol is healthy for your heart, and especially for your liver. It also reduces the risk of cancer and work related accidents. It is also documented that those who drink regularly reduces the chance of domestic abuse, divorce and traffic accidents. Furthermore, alcoholics do not start as moderate users; they start drinking it in gallons just to become alcoholics.

So my dear friend. Since the magical word HARAM is not used for alcohol, and since alcohol has great health, economic and social benefits, you should enjoy it. Cheers :yay:

Peace,
Edip
Edip Yuksel, J.D.
www.yuksel.org
www.19.org
Each of us must use our own mind in pursuit of knowledge. (17:36; 10:100; 39:17-18; 41:53; 42:21; 6:114-116; 10:36; 12:111; 20:114; 21:7; 35:28; 38:29).

Bigmo

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »
If you assume that the word HARAM is the only magical word to prohibit something, then according to the Quran, idol worship is not haram, lying and cheating is not haram, either.

Let me answer the question in a style that fits the question:

Why should the consumption of alcohol be prohibited? The Quran repeatedly praises the importance of using one's intelligence and logic, and we all know that consumption of alcohol makes people sharper and smarter. Similarly, the Quran instructs us to avoid gossip, vain talk, extra marital affair, etc, and it is a well known fact that drinking alcoholic beverages makes a person avoid them. Besides, alcohol is healthy for your heart, and especially for your liver. It also reduces the risk of cancer and work related accidents. It is also documented that those who drink regularly reduces the chance of domestic abuse, divorce and traffic accidents. Furthermore, alcoholics do not start as moderate users; they start drinking it in gallons just to become alcoholics.

So my dear friend. Since the magical word HARAM is not used for alcohol, and since alcohol has great health, economic and social benefits, you should enjoy it. Cheers :yay:

Peace,
Edip

The same with money. Is money haram? Of course not. I mean have you ever heard anyone killing anyone over money? Of course not. Have you heard nations ever raiding and plundering other nations over money? No way. Have you ever seen people ever get greedy and miserly over money? Have you ever seen exploitation and corruption associated with money?

So go and enjoy money.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

Roshan

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 04:07:33 AM »
peace all,

The translation of 5:90-91 was discussed in detail in the past and the conclusion was that the "avoid it" refers to "satan".

Also, the specific word "haraam" is not associated with intoxicants, however it is labelled as an "abomination". If I recall correctly, the Arabic is "rijsun", and I strongly recommend researching what other things are called "rijsun" and you will see they are significant. I believe brothers Arnold or Edip wrote about this.

Peace:

May I use this thread to resurrect my thread on 12:36 - Kh-Mim-Ra - pressing WINE? :

http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=16963.msg170209#msg170209

Roshan

burhan

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
The same with money. Is money haram? Of course not. I mean have you ever heard anyone killing anyone over money? Of course not. Have you heard nations ever raiding and plundering other nations over money? No way. Have you ever seen people ever get greedy and miserly over money? Have you ever seen exploitation and corruption associated with money?

So go and enjoy money.

Thats a terrible similtude because all those instances of money are actually forbidden. Also money is a noun and drinking is verb - can't forbid a noun.

If you can be "reponsible" and "moderate" with drinking I'll be "resposible" and "moderate" with killing and greeding over money.

Peace.

Samia

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +9/-1
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
peace all,

The translation of 5:90-91 was discussed in detail in the past and the conclusion was that the "avoid it" refers to "satan".

Also, the specific word "haraam" is not associated with intoxicants, however it is labelled as an "abomination". If I recall correctly, the Arabic is "rijsun", and I strongly recommend researching what other things are called "rijsun" and you will see they are significant. I believe brothers Arnold or Edip wrote about this.

I think the "avoid it" refers to the "rijsun" which is the deed of satan. (Intoxicants, gambling and divination by arrows are abomination "rijsun" of satan's doing, so avoid "this rijs"). Isn't "rijs" forbidden? Aren't the deeds of satan forbidden? If you answer yes, then we are given some kinds of this "rijs", of which is intoxicants.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
peace samia,

If I recall correctly, it was discussed linguistically and it meant "avoid it/him" and it was taken to mean avoid "satan". Can you give us the theoretical possibilities according to the Arabic?

I agree from an understanding point of view, one would avoid "satan" by avoiding what "he" promotes. My comment on the verse was purely academic.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Samia

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +9/-1
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
How would you complete this sentence:
"Promoting what you do not believe in, promising and not fulfilling or pretending what you are not are the behaviour of the hypocrite ; so
1-avoid it
2-avoid him

This is the same with this verse.

Secondly, and from a linguistic point of view:  "min 3amali alshaiTaan" is a phrase working as an adjective for "rijs". There is no logic in seperating part of the adjective (al-shaitaan) and dropping the remaining part of the phrase, ( min 3amali) together with the main noun (rijs) and consider that the pronoun concers only the secondary part. 

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
So you say there is no logic to it (I take this to mean finding other examples like this in The Quran would be very very rare or do not exist), but if it is the former, what about the theoretical possibilities?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

herbman

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »
is "rijsun" masculin or feminin