News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

I am so lost...

Started by CandiceSj, August 29, 2008, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandiceSj

I don't know what to believe about God. I was raised in a non-religious Catholic family and I never had much of a sense that there was a Jesus/God. I never believed in Christianity and wasn't too shy about it... It was when I was introduced to Islam that I began to think that there might be a God. I think it was just the way that Muslims are dedicated to God, and how clear the religion was/seemed (I realize now that it's quite complicated to figure it all out).

But what I'm still struggling with is "feeling" God. I see some people really feeling that they want to worship God and want to please God. They feel a love for God. I don't have any of these feelings towards God. I am amazed by a lot of things in life and I think that there must be some sort of all-controlling "force", but does that mean it wants to be worshipped?

I really don't know what to think about it all... And I want to find this connection to God that so many people have. It's like having some sort of reason for life... But I don't feel it...

Any ideas/thoughts?

rsw

Peace, and welcome, Candice!

If you are having difficulty connecting to God, consider that before you were born, you did not exist as you do now.  One day you will also die, and you will not exist as you do now.  You seemingly came into this world from nothing and will seemingly go out of it into nothing.  What happened before, and what will happen after?  More importantly, what keeps you from dying at any moment?

The food that grows out of the ground which you eat, the air you breathe that clings to the surface of the earth, the ground you walk on, the sun that gives us light in the day time and the night time which brings rest... if the universe wasn't designed by One God, how could these things be as coherent and dependable as they are?  Human life on earth is a clear miracle from God; and that God has sent us the Qu'ran with proof that it is from Him.

Most exalted is the One in whose hands is all sovereignty, and He is capable of all things.
The One who created death and life, that He may test you, which of you will do better works? He is the Noble, the Forgiving.
He created seven skies in layers. You do not see any imperfection in the creation by the Almighty. Keep looking; do you see any flaw?
Then look again twice; your eyes will come back humiliated and tired. (67:1-4)

And in the Earth are signs for those who comprehend.
And within yourselves; do you not see?
And in the heaven is your provision, and what you are promised.
By the Lord of the heaven and the Earth, this is truth just as the fact that you speak. (51:20-23)

The religion is very clear if you read the Qu'ran without the commentary of someone seeking to complicate it:

"Therefore, you shall devote yourself to the religion of monotheism. Such is the natural instinct placed into the people by GOD. Such creation of GOD will never change. This is the perfect religion, but most people do not know." (30:30)

Is that confusing?  As for ritual prayers, fasting, and all that:

There is no compulsion in the religion; the proper way has been made clear from the wrong way. Whoever rejects evil, and believes in God, then he has grasped the most solid branch that will never break. God is Hearer, Knower. (2:256)

You don't have to do it.  To ensure your salvation, God has told us you only must believe in Him and reject evil.  You instinct should guide you in both of these things, but if you want to know with certainty, it is in the Qu'ran (6:151-152).

Peace!

Wakas

When one is lost.... consult your inner compass. Follow its direction.

Try here or here.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

pvb

It is sad that you do not recognize the dedication of Christians to GOD, but it is how your were raised.  So often the Catholic schools dwell on man made doctrine and not the truth in the Holy Bible.

Luckily, I was raised Lutheran.  I would have been a bad Catholic!!  LOL!!  Have you tried another church?

I went through a time when I had doubt, I was in complete despair.  I prayed for GOD and He surrounded me in warmth and comfort.  I no more then expressed my despair when He was present, as if He heard my call before I even recognized it myself.

God gives us free will to come to Him on our own.  Very often it takes for us to be at our lowest point in life to recognize that we need Him.

CandiceSj

Thanks, rsw. I love the verses that you pulled out and really enjoyed that. I try to read the Quran when I can because I figure that if it is the truth, by reading it, it will really just jump out at me, but I have been quite busy and can hardly find enough time to myself to get to really reading the Qur'an.

Wakas, thanks for those links.

pvb, I do know that some Christians are dedicated to God. I just don't know many personally. Religious Christians are hard to find around here. The elderly are the only ones who go to church, and really, half the churches in my city have been sold in the past 2 or 3 years, but it was a long time coming. I have never had any desire to try another church, or even go to my own, which I have been to only for baptisms, weddings and funerals (baptisms and weddings should be singular, it has been one of each in my whole life even though most people I know are Catholic). I have been to more aqiqah's than baptisms and I just recently have had Muslims in my life (my husband is Muslim and we have been married for 2.5 years). To get to the point, I have tried to learn about Christianity in different forms (the beliefs of different denominations) but it's just not what I believe in. The basic beliefs just aren't there.

amin

Quote from: CandiceSj on August 29, 2008, 03:47:01 PM
I don't know what to believe about God. I was raised in a non-religious Catholic family and I never had much of a sense that there was a Jesus/God. I never believed in Christianity and wasn't too shy about it... It was when I was introduced to Islam that I began to think that there might be a God. I think it was just the way that Muslims are dedicated to God, and how clear the religion was/seemed (I realize now that it's quite complicated to figure it all out).

But what I'm still struggling with is "feeling" God. I see some people really feeling that they want to worship God and want to please God. They feel a love for God. I don't have any of these feelings towards God. I am amazed by a lot of things in life and I think that there must be some sort of all-controlling "force", but does that mean it wants to be worshipped?

I really don't know what to think about it all... And I want to find this connection to God that so many people have. It's like having some sort of reason for life... But I don't feel it...

Any ideas/thoughts?

Think HE is your own GOD.. one who loves you and  when you do good things in this world.
I also feel I dont need a physical ritualistic form of worship to please god.. but a simple thankyou for the good things I face daily and want him to guide me in the right path and this is my prayer.

Supernaut

Quote from: CandiceSj on August 29, 2008, 03:47:01 PMBut what I'm still struggling with is "feeling" God. I see some people really feeling that they want to worship God and want to please God. They feel a love for God. I don't have any of these feelings towards God. I am amazed by a lot of things in life and I think that there must be some sort of all-controlling "force", but does that mean it wants to be worshipped?

Any ideas/thoughts?

It seems to me that God is a stranger to you. This is something that can be remedied very easily. I love God because God is immeasurably wise and I know this because God gives us the smartest and most humane solutions to all our problems. Many countries jail thieves in these times, which is absurd, because jailing thieves doesn't reform them. Jailing thieves simplify tortures them disproportionate to their crime, and some inmates become hardened due to their experiences in jail. Hardened criminals become a real threat to society when they're released into society. The Quran gives us the most intelligent solution to the problem of thievery [http://www.free-minds.org/articles/quranic/theft.htm], and thievery's just one of the problems to which the Quran has a brilliant and pragmatic solution. If you read the Quran, you will also see that everything God ordains with regard to governance is libertarian and this will also make you love God.

You should also observe nature, and read about the stars, planets, animals, orchids, the seas, etc., and you will come to admire God's creativity and artistry. The natural world and the Quran really do make you love God, which is one reason why God tells you to study them.

mmkhan

It may be of some help to you CandiceSj,

:welcome: to the forum.

56:57 "WE who have created you, why, then, do you not accept the truth?"
Nahnu khalaqnakum falawla tusaddiqoona
نَحْنُ خَلَقْنَاكُمْ فَلَوْلَا تُصَدِّقُونَ (56:57)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

56:58 Have you ever considered that which you emit?
Afaraaytum ma tumnoona
أَفَرَأَيْتُم مَّا تُمْنُونَ (56:58)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

56:59 Is it you who create it - or are We the source of its creation?
Aantum takhluqoonahu am nahnu alkhaliqoona
أَأَنتُمْ تَخْلُقُونَهُ أَمْ نَحْنُ الْخَالِقُونَ (56:59)

56:60 We have decreed that death shall be among you: but there is nothing to prevent Us
Nahnu qaddarna baynakumu almawta wama nahnu bimasbooqeena
نَحْنُ قَدَّرْنَا بَيْنَكُمُ الْمَوْتَ وَمَا نَحْنُ بِمَسْبُوقِينَ (56:60)

56:61 from changing the nature of your existence and bringing you into being in a manner unknown to you.
AAala an nubaddila amthalakum wanunshiakum fee ma la taAAlamoona
عَلَى أَن نُّبَدِّلَ أَمْثَالَكُمْ وَنُنشِئَكُمْ فِي مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ (56:61)

56:62 And you are indeed aware of the coming into being in the first instance - why, then, do you not bethink yourselves?
Walaqad AAalimtumu alnnashata aloola falawla tathakkaroona
وَلَقَدْ عَلِمْتُمُ النَّشْأَةَ الْأُولَى فَلَوْلَا تَذكَّرُونَ (56:62)

56:63 Have you ever considered the seed which you cast upon the soil?
Afaraaytum ma tahruthoona
أَفَرَأَيْتُم مَّا تَحْرُثُونَ (56:63)

56:64 Is it you who cause it to grow - or are We the cause of its growth?
Aantum tazraAAoonahu am nahnu alzzariAAoona
أَأَنتُمْ تَزْرَعُونَهُ أَمْ نَحْنُ الزَّارِعُونَ (56:64)

56:65 were it Our will, We could indeed turn it into chaff, and you would be left to wonder,
Law nashao lajaAAalnahu hutaman fathaltum tafakkahoona
لَوْ نَشَاء لَجَعَلْنَاهُ حُطَامًا فَظَلَلْتُمْ تَفَكَّهُونَ (56:65)

56:66 ?Verily, we are ruined!
Inna lamughramoona
إِنَّا لَمُغْرَمُونَ (56:66)

56:67 Nay, but we have been deprived!
Bal nahnu mahroomoona
بَلْ نَحْنُ مَحْرُومُونَ (56:67)

56:68 Have you ever considered the water which you drink?
Afaraaytumu almaa allathee tashraboona
أَفَرَأَيْتُمُ الْمَاء الَّذِي تَشْرَبُونَ (56:68)

56:69 Is it you who cause it to come down from the clouds - or are We the cause of its coming down?
Aantum anzaltumoohu mina almuzni am nahnu almunziloona
أَأَنتُمْ أَنزَلْتُمُوهُ مِنَ الْمُزْنِ أَمْ نَحْنُ الْمُنزِلُونَ (56:69)

56:70 were it Our will, We could make it burningly salty and bitter: why, then, do you not give thanks?
Law nashao jaAAalnahu ojajan falawla tashkuroona
لَوْ نَشَاء جَعَلْنَاهُ أُجَاجًا فَلَوْلَا تَشْكُرُونَ (56:70)

56:71 Have you ever considered the fire which you kindle?
Afaraaytumu alnnara allatee tooroona
أَفَرَأَيْتُمُ النَّارَ الَّتِي تُورُونَ (56:71)

56:72 Is it you who have brought into being the tree that serves as its fuel - or are We the cause of its coming into being?
Aantum anshatum shajarataha am nahnu almunshioona
أَأَنتُمْ أَنشَأْتُمْ شَجَرَتَهَا أَمْ نَحْنُ الْمُنشِؤُونَ (56:72)

56:73 It is We who have made it a means to remind, and a comfort for all who are lost and hungry in the wilderness. 
Nahnu jaAAalnaha tathkiratan wamataAAan lilmuqweena
نَحْنُ جَعَلْنَاهَا تَذْكِرَةً وَمَتَاعًا لِّلْمُقْوِينَ (56:73)

56:74 Extol, then, the limitless glory of thy Sus?tainer?s mighty name!
Fasabbih biismi rabbika alAAatheemi
فَسَبِّحْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّكَ الْعَظِيمِ (56:74)

56:75 NAY, I call to witness the coming-down in parts
Fala oqsimu bimawaqiAAi alnnujoomi
فَلَا أُقْسِمُ بِمَوَاقِعِ النُّجُومِ (56:75)

56:76 and, behold, this is indeed a most solemn affirmation, if you but knew it!
Wainnahu laqasamun law taAAlamoona AAatheemun
وَإِنَّهُ لَقَسَمٌ لَّوْ تَعْلَمُونَ عَظِيمٌ (56:76)

56:77 Behold, it is a truly noble discourse,
Innahu laquranun kareemun
إِنَّهُ لَقُرْآنٌ كَرِيمٌ (56:77)

56:78 in a well-guarded divine writ
Fee kitabin maknoonin
فِي كِتَابٍ مَّكْنُونٍ (56:78)

56:79 which none but the pure can touch:
La yamassuhu illa almutahharoona
لَّا يَمَسُّهُ إِلَّا الْمُطَهَّرُونَ (56:79)

56:80 a revelation from the Sustainer of all the worlds!
Tanzeelun min rabbi alAAalameena
تَنزِيلٌ مِّن رَّبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ (56:80)

56:81 Would you, now, look down with disdain on a tiding like this,
Afabihatha alhadeethi antum mudhinoona
أَفَبِهَذَا الْحَدِيثِ أَنتُم مُّدْهِنُونَ (56:81)

May Allah guide us all towards the correct path.

Regards,
mmKhan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

khyaletanzim

Dear CandiceSj if one can understand then it is easy to achieve.

Base of Islam: -

5:69 Surely those who believed, and the Jews, and the Sabians, and the Christians - whoso believes in God and the Last Day and does good deeds, on them shall come no fear, nor shall they grieve.

Quran clearly states the basic Islam(Submission) in the verse 5:69 which are as following.

1.   One creator.
2.   One must believe in the final day(resurrection day or judgment day)
3.   Good deeds or righteousness. (this part of the Islam(Submission) is rarely disputed by any religion)

Anyone who follows the above basic rules (laws) is in Islam (submission) according to the Quran. Now for what is righteousness read the following.

2:177 It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfill the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah.fearing.

Just workout on the bold lines. it is simple as that. othere than this The other basics which are common among all the religions are morals. basic understanding about the morals on part of humanity is almost the same. Each religion agrees on these basics.

1.   Telling a lie is bad.
2.   Killing of innocent is bad.
3.   Persecuting of weak is bad.
4.   Adultery and extra marital affairs are bad.
5.   Not giving full measure is bad. Etc.

There is a long list but i am just giving you some examples. Do what you understand clearly and God will guide you to the greater understanding.

Regards.

pvb

Feeling GOD- Have you ever prayed to know GOD?