Author Topic: Quran Translation Project  (Read 19561 times)

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-5
Quran Translation Project
« on: January 29, 2003, 12:15:03 PM »
Peace to you all,

The translation project which is available at Free-Minds has reached a milestone at being just over 53% complete...

Please review the translation whenever you have time and post any errors (translation or otherwise) on this message board.

The next phase will be to make what is already translated into a 'zip' file which can be downloaded for easy access...The entire translation should be complete by this summer (unless GOD wills otherwise),

http://www.free-minds.org/quran/quran.htm

Layth
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Alireza

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Quran Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 11:48:24 PM »
Quote from: "Layth"
Peace to you all,

The translation project which is available at Free-Minds has reached a milestone at being just over 53% complete...

Please review the translation whenever you have time and post any errors (translation or otherwise) on this message board.

The next phase will be to make what is already translated into a 'zip' file which can be downloaded for easy access...The entire translation should be complete by this summer (unless GOD wills otherwise),

Layth

Congratulations Layth.

I have one remark, and its not about the content.

Its about the chronological order of the chapters of the quran.

Shouldnt the quran be in this order?

I am the representative and an active member of a Netherlands-based islamic organisation called "Islamic Conciousness of the Netherlands".

We believe in the same things as free-minds.

I want to make a tabel for the chronological order of the chapters, but I have found many difficulties.

I dont know on what I should ground this order. The order is mainly based on hadith or the personal inquiries of some scholars.

But I think it will be the last great restoration of the damage the traditionalists did against islam if we manage to restore the quran in its right order. It will easen up the understanding and reading of the quran for many people too and it will be a major step for every scholar of individual who wants to read or inquire the quran.

So.. in what ways can you advise me concerning this problem?

Greetings

Faysal

Is it not enough for them that We have revealed to you the Book which is recited to them? Most surely there is mercy in this and a reminder for a people who believe.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-5
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 03:51:32 AM »
Peace to you Ali and welcome to Free-Minds  :D

The Quran was arranged exactly the way we have it today by the design of the Almighty:

"And if We place a verse in place of another verse, and GOD is more aware of what He is revealing, they say: 'you are making this up!'. Alas, most of them do not know. Say: 'the holy spirit has sent it down from your Lord with truth, so that those who have faith will be strengthened, and as a guidance and good news for the Submitters'." (16:101-102)

The next step as you pointed out is to 'arrange' the Quran (not by chronological order) but by subject...

This will lead us to an effective and workable constitution that can be put in place (this is the next intended phase after the translation project is complete).

You are on the right track with your thoughts and identified next steps...

Layth
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Alireza

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 08:51:30 AM »
Peace to you Ali and welcome to Free-Minds  :D

The Quran was arranged exactly the way we have it today by the design of the Almighty:

"And if We place a verse in place of another verse, and GOD is more aware of what He is revealing, they say: 'you are making this up!'. Alas, most of them do not know. Say: 'the holy spirit has sent it down from your Lord with truth, so that those who have faith will be strengthened, and as a guidance and good news for the Submitters'." (16:101-102)

The next step as you pointed out is to 'arrange' the Quran (not by chronological order) but by subject...

This will lead us to an effective and workable constitution that can be put in place (this is the next intended phase after the translation project is complete).

You are on the right track with your thoughts and identified next steps...

Layth

Salaam

Thanks for your reply.

However, I dont agree with you, nor with the way you interpret the verse you came up with.

Ok, tell me then.

Is it possible to put the verses of the quran in chronological order or not?

Wassalam

Is it not enough for them that We have revealed to you the Book which is recited to them? Most surely there is mercy in this and a reminder for a people who believe.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 11:21:17 AM »
Peace,

I would say 'no' due to the following 2 reasons:

1) The 'chronological' order is based on the history of the compilation of the Quran...This is the same false history which claims that Mohammed passed away without the Quran being arranged, and that a 'commitee' was organized to put the book together as we have it today.

2) The 'chronological' order does not help you understand the Quran since you are not relating subject matters together as we are told to do (Tarteel). The Quran gives a message when it is arranged by order of subject, and not by order of which verses came when...

Layth

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 11:36:54 AM »
Peace,

I would say 'no' due to the following 2 reasons:

1) The 'chronological' order is based on the history of the compilation of the Quran...This is the same false history which claims that Mohammed passed away without the Quran being arranged, and that a 'commitee' was organized to put the book together as we have it today.

2) The 'chronological' order does not help you understand the Quran since you are not relating subject matters together as we are told to do (Tarteel). The Quran gives a message when it is arranged by order of subject, and not by order of which verses came when...

Layth

Thank you Layth!

One more question.

You said:

"The Quran was arranged exactly the way we have it today by the design of the Almighty"

So it is the almighty which arranged the quran like we have it today?

Starting with al faatihah and ending with an naas?

I cant believe that, and I must say there is plenty of proof against that.

Further you said something that joyed my heart. You said:

That is COOL!!!

I cant wait and I wish you all of success!

I have this theory why the ulema threw all verses chaotically in one book.

They want to make understanding of the quran difficult for ordinary people.

I still would prefer to see the quran in its chronological order, but since that seems to be impossible.... a pity.

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-5
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 12:10:49 PM »
Peace,

So it is the almighty which arranged the quran like we have it today? Starting with al faatihah and ending with an naas?
I cant believe that, and I must say there is plenty of proof against that.

I personally understand this order to be deliberate to serve 2 functions:

1) Make the Book only accesible to those who are 'sincere' in their study and work for it (there is no such thing as a 'free-ride' on this planet).

2) Protect the Book from tampering/alterations done by men (this is the fate of all previous scripts...the Quran survives in the heart of tyranny and oppression because the rulers never see it as a threat to their 'way of life' in the way it is presented).

I still would prefer to see the quran in its chronological order, but since that seems to be impossible.... a pity.

I suggest you try reading the Quran in the 'alleged' chronological order of revelation so you can see that it carries no difference in undertsanding to the mixed verse structure you have today (you can easily find a listing of the chronological order on the net and then recite the book and see the difference - None!).

I cant wait and I wish you all of success!

Yes, once we can 'arrange' the Book in order of subject (which is our next phase)...then watch out to all tyrants and corrupt systems because there will finally be an 'alternative' for the people to embrace.

Layth

themovement1

The order of the Quran
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 09:58:51 PM »
From my understanding the history about the re-compilation of the Qur'an from it's original order comes from the Hadeeth. We cannot trust this story just as we cannot trust much of the other stories handed down to us  in the Hadeeth. These stories occur much later than the Qur'an and are presumptuious and assumptuious as it concerns some "original" order of the Qur'an.

Questions to be asked:

Where cannot it be found that the Qur'an came in a different order than it is in now?

Who has promoted this concept?

Is it to be trusted over the other many stories concerning the revelation or compilation of the Qur'an to be found in the extra and post-quranic traditions?

Why is it impossible, and so illogical, that the Qur'an came down in the order that it is in now?

Can't this idea of the Qur'an being in some sort of mix-match order be a hindrance to our understanding of the Qur'an, by perverting our approach to it?

Godbless,
Anwar

Anonymous

Re: Quran Translation Project
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 08:47:29 PM »
Peace to you all,

Layth

Great Job brother Layth,

I would like to ask you if you have considered to make a WORD or PFF file of this GREAT koranic translation.So that we all can download it and print it out.

Wassalaam
Martijn :)

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +17/-5
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 03:40:42 AM »
Peace to you Martijn,

I would like to ask you if you have considered to make a WORD or PFF file of this GREAT koranic translation.So that we all can download it and print it out.  

I am planning to convert the translation to .txt files which can be downloaded (I was waiting to finish the whole thing first and have it checked)...If people here see the need is present to convert what is already available into .txt files, then it can be done.

Layth