News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

San Francisco Bay Area

Started by Kdamiana, December 31, 2004, 03:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kdamiana

Salam,

I just wanted to get an idea of who my neighbors are? I'm in Oakland, but I commute to San Francisco during the weekdays. I've noticed a couple of Bay Area posts, but there's gotta be more than what I've seen.

Peace,
Kerstin

TheNabi

Salaam Kerstin,

Try looking on the link below for people in or around your area.

http://free-minds.org/members/usa.htm

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

Green Leaves

I am just wondering, if you guys do meet what do you do in those meetings ? Wondering because where I live I see no one on that page.
:: Peace

Kdamiana

I'm not trying to organize a meeting, Green Leaves. There are two MeetUp meetings quite close to me in Alameda and San Francisco, but I'm unable to attend either on account of my schedule. I just wanted to see who else was around. When I signed up on the member's list, there were only two others who listed SF bay Area cities. I always see high numbers for those who view posts, that I figured maybe someone who may have not listed themselves on the member's list might post a hello here.

May I ask why you're asking since you have Palm Beach listed as you location?

ThaPhenom

Quote from: "Kdamiana"Salam,

I just wanted to get an idea of who my neighbors are? I'm in Oakland, but I commute to San Francisco during the weekdays. I've noticed a couple of Bay Area posts, but there's gotta be more than what I've seen.

Peace,
Kerstin

Hello Neighbor! I'm in the Bay Area, right around the corner in Emeryville. I don't post very often, but I do lurk around the boards. My commute is to San Ramon though. Not sure how many others in the Bay Area though.

Peace

Green Leaves

QuoteI'm not trying to organize a meeting, Green Leaves. There are two MeetUp meetings quite close to me in Alameda and San Francisco, but I'm unable to attend either on account of my schedule. I just wanted to see who else was around. When I signed up on the member's list, there were only two others who listed SF bay Area cities. I always see high numbers for those who view posts, that I figured maybe someone who may have not listed themselves on the member's list might post a hello here.

I was just wondering...why was it that bad that I asked a simple question?

QuoteMay I ask why you're asking since you have Palm Beach listed as you location?

Again, just wondering because I've never been to any God-Alone meet ups and wanted to know what you guys usually do in such meetings...you know prayer/discussions/etc.

BTW, I've been living in Palm Beach since the past two months, I am a Calfiornia native as well. I am visiting a relative of mine here, God Willing on Jan 2nd, I'll be heading back to California.
:: Peace

Kashif

I am also from Bay Area, California Sunnyvale/Santa Clara. I am looking into God alone/Quran alone stuygroups as well as spreading the real message to other commnities.

I need to know anybody else here want to get in.

Thanks
Kashif

Kdamiana

Salam Kashif,

I'm becoming more and more interested in the idea of a study group. I'd also consider a book club where folks gather to discuss progressive texts, but I know that's not what you're talking about.

Anyway, could you speak on how you envision a God alone/Quran alone study group? Would there be rotating facilitators, if any? How would topics be decided on? Are you thinking of working with the original Arabic, or an English translation?

Kashif

Salam Kdamiana

QuoteI'm becoming more and more interested in the idea of a study group. I'd also consider a book club where folks gather to discuss progressive texts, but I know that's not what you're talking about.

Actually my vision of study Quran/God alone movement is Part of learning Arabic as well as learn Progressive text. Personally, I want to explore Quranic concept of Salah, Zakah, Fasting and Haj.

I have three main objectives for the study group.

1) To Learn Arabic, I have very good books, In a study group we can devise a Syllabus in which we can learn a lesson or two a week and directly imply toward understanding Quran.

2) To Learn other people research on Quran, we can examine different articles and books published by those people.

3) Also, through the study group, I would like to invite other faiths (including sunni) to present them real Quranic message.

Rightnow I am learning arabic through self-study and trying to imply directly toward Quran. I am very much inspired by the reading of G.A Pervaiz books since I can also read urdu. Some of his books are translated into english. I think those books as well as articles and info on this sites can be used for inviting and spreading the real message as well as make us more educated.

As far as facility, we can pick a library room or some. Let me know what are your thought on that?

It would be interesting to know what is your vision on the study group also.

Peace
Kashif

Kdamiana

Quote from: "Kashif"Actually my vision of study Quran/God alone movement is Part of learning Arabic as well as learn Progressive text. Personally, I want to explore Quranic concept of Salah, Zakah, Fasting and Haj.

Okay, sounds good. As far as Quranic themes, how would you go about deciding which topics to study, which to study first, and which other texts to incorporate into the study group? I'm assuming this would be done through a vote from the group, but I don't like assuming.

Quote from: "Kashif"I have three main objectives for the study group.
1) To Learn Arabic, I have very good books, In a study group we can devise a Syllabus in which we can learn a lesson or two a week and directly imply toward understanding Quran.

I'm curious which Arabic language learning books you have. I am a true beginner. There are two I've used in the past (one I can't remember but it's all in Arabic and uses religion as it's theme for teaching the language. the other is Alif Baa and Al Kitaab which is for English speakers), and I'm using some from Iqra, the organization/book publisher, to teach my son.

Were you raised speaking Arabic? I wasn't. What other languages besides Urdu and Arabic do you use?

Quote from: "Kashif"2) To Learn other people research on Quran, we can examine different articles and books published by those people.
Can you tell me which authors you're interested in? I only know a few by name myself, but I'm learning about others I'd be interested in because of the works I'm reading now.

Quote from: "Kashif"3) Also, through the study group, I would like to invite other faiths (including sunni) to present them real Quranic message.

How much energy do you intend to focus on "outreach" versus energy spent on building a study group of those already believe? Also, what is your definition of the "real Quranic message"? Do you mean non-sunni, non-shi'i, non-sufi, non-secular? Or are you talking about something beyond the "us" versus "the other" paradigm? Also, what are your ideas on building a commited interest to the group? Do you already know people in the Bay Area who have a sincere interest in a study group like this?

Quote from: "Kashif"Rightnow I am learning arabic through self-study and trying to imply directly toward Quran.

How? Can you share an example?

Quote from: "Kashif"I am very much inspired by the reading of G.A Pervaiz books since I can also read urdu. Some of his books are translated into english.

Cool. I'll add this name to my list. I've collected the following names so far: Farish Noor, Ebrahim Moosa, Khalid Masud, Abdullahi an-Naim, Chandra Muzaffar, Nurcholish Madjid, Ali Asghar Engineer, Farid Esack, Ulil-Abshar Abdallah, Hashim Kamaki, Syed Hussein Alatas, Mustansir Mir, as well as contributors to Omid Safi's Progressive Muslims and contributors from MuslimWakeUp.com.

Quote from: "Kashif"As far as facility, we can pick a library room or some. Let me know what are your thought on that?

Location is important for me, as is meeting time. I'm thinking compromise would work best here. Depending on how many people are interested, we could rotate the location, or meet somewhere in the middle. I know what I'm about to suggest wouldn't help with learning Arabic, and could go beyond a Bay Area study group, but as far as learning the deen, would you consider using a phone conferencing company?

Okay, so I guess I've hinted at what I envision through my response. What do you think?