News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Hot/"ramadan" Answer

Started by ayman, November 20, 2004, 10:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timotheus

But yes, i would say question your beliefs, as we can easily be in error without realizing it. i dont think we should ever become content with our beliefs, untill the point at which we have become 100% sure of everything we think to be true, there are some things i know as a fact, and trust are true, such as that God is my lord, my soul has borne witness to this fact, and i know it is true, hence i do not need to question it.

I am not advocating doubt, i am simply advocating verification, and asking God to confirm things for us that we are unsure about, and purify us of things we are sure about which are not true
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

Comrox

Quote from: Timotheus on July 09, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
But yes, i would say question your beliefs, as we can easily be in error without realizing it. i dont think we should ever become content with our beliefs, untill the point at which we have become 100% sure of everything we think to be true, there are some things i know as a fact, and trust are true, such as that God is my lord, my soul has borne witness to this fact, and i know it is true, hence i do not need to question it.

I am not advocating doubt, i am simply advocating verification, and asking God to confirm things for us that we are unsure about, and purify us of things we are sure about which are not true

I agree, I'm still not sure God created us for that purpose though, given our purpose seems to be clearly enough stated in 51:56.

Anways, I'm sorry... :offtopic:
10:109 Follow what is being inspired to you and be patient until God judges.

57:3 He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Innermost. And He is fully aware of all things.

Timotheus

Quote from: Comrox on July 09, 2016, 09:35:45 PM
I agree, I'm still not sure God created us for that purpose though, given our purpose seems to be clearly enough stated in 51:56.

Anways, I'm sorry... :offtopic:

Peace,

Yes to worship our lord, part of which is to purify ourselves.
purifying ourselves from falsehood by questioning what we think, believe etc is one way of doing this..

life is off topic anyway, its called the natural flow of conversation :)

peace
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

HP_TECH

Quote from: Comrox on July 09, 2016, 06:57:46 PM
Allah created us to question our beliefs?

No I said the following
Quote from: HP_TECH on July 09, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Wow you see Zulf this is the response of a believer! This is what Allah created us for!

As a response to bookish humbly deciding to not deem our interpretation wrong without having thoroughly verified himself. Unfortunately many folks including people in this forum lack this blessing from God.
Instead they jump in defense of the paradigm they have been indoctrinated to without verification.

So bookish example is the apparent Favor of Allah upon Him and upon every believer whom He grants patience, determination, reason and understanding.

It is a Sign of His Mercy upon believers like bookish. And for that Allah has created them.

Is your question genuine?
The Quran, how do you read it?

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=11&verse=119#(11:119:1)

11:118 And if your Lord (had) willed surely He (could) have made the mankind one community, but not they will cease to differ.
11:119 Except (on) whom your Lord has bestowed Mercy, and for that He created them. And will be fulfilled (the) Word of your Lord, "Surely I will fill Hell with the Jinn and the men all together."

Those in whose breast lies the Quran knew what I was saying Comrox
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

selim

Hi.
I read the first few pages of the discussion and am not satisfied with Ayman's explanations. I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered; I won't be able to read hundreds of pages. 1) Hottest days of summer fluctuates. It's sometimes before summer solstice, and sometimes far after the solstice, like in the latter days of august. So "Ramad=hottest" equation fails. 2) Can you tell which one of the following phases are full moon an which ones are crescent? There's no diving line between phases. It's all continuous. So noone can count exactly 10 days by observing phases. You can count the first 7-8 days (new moon), following 14-16 days (after the line of illumination got past half-mark), and the following 7-8 days (after the line of illumination got past half-mark, diminishing to crescent) though. So, I can't see how one can count 10 days looking at the moon. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Ffddar

"Although we answered several questions, as usual many questions remain. For example, what is the difference, if any, between "3am" and "sana(t)"? Both are equally translated as "year" but this seems unlikely because of 29:14 where both are used"

3am means season so Noah stayed with his people one thousand years, less fifty seasons

Novice

Quote from: Ffddar on June 24, 2017, 03:13:13 AM
"Although we answered several questions, as usual many questions remain. For example, what is the difference, if any, between "3am" and "sana(t)"? Both are equally translated as "year" but this seems unlikely because of 29:14 where both are used"

3am means season so Noah stayed with his people one thousand years, less fifty seasons

In Lughat-ul-Quran, Parvez writes that al-sana(t) is called a year of hardship/famine and al-aam a year of greenery and abundance. So may be 29:14 is saying that Noah mostly had hardship except for a little time of ease.

selim

Some say SAVM should be observed for 10 days. They remind Moses's 10 days to support this but I don't see how it's related to SAVM. Look at this picture showing moon phases. Can you count 10 days here? I could count two periods of 7-8 days, where it goes from new moon to half moon, and then half moon to new moon. Maybe I could count 14-16 days half moon to half moon. But how can one count ten days? Can you even tell exactly which one(s) of these is/are full moon? Very subjective.

brook

At-Taubah 36:

Number of the shahrs with God is twelve shahrs
إِنَّ عِدَّةَ الشُّهُورِ عِندَ اللَّهِ اثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًا

We had better start
with what shahr is.

Shahr is full moon in the Quran
or rather full moon night such as لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ .

Proof is that
in one solar year
sometimes there are 12 shahrs,
sometimes 13. 

For instance
in 2017 there are 12 shahrs (https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2017&country=74),
in 2018 there are 13 shahrs (https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2018&country=74).

If shahr meant  29.5-day long lunar month
13 months would add up to 383.5 days
and 383.5 days would not find enough room in the 365-day long solar year.

But there surely is enough room for 13 shahrs in 2018
because shahr is full moon time, that is only 1 night. 

So whoever from you witness the hot fool moon, shall fast it
فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ

You shall fast the hot full moon after you witness it,
that is after July 8 of 2017 (https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2017/july)
and after June 28 of 2018.

HP_TECH

Quote from: brook on July 24, 2017, 02:42:32 AM
At-Taubah 36:

Number of the shahrs with God is twelve shahrs
إِنَّ عِدَّةَ الشُّهُورِ عِندَ اللَّهِ اثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًا

We had better start
with what shahr is.

Shahr is full moon in the Quran
or rather full moon night such as لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ .

Proof is that
in one solar year
sometimes there are 12 shahrs,
sometimes 13. 

For instance
in 2017 there are 12 shahrs (https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2017&country=74),
in 2018 there are 13 shahrs (https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2018&country=74).

If shahr meant  29.5-day long lunar month
13 months would add up to 383.5 days
and 383.5 days would not find enough room in the 365-day long solar year.

But there surely is enough room for 13 shahrs in 2018
because shahr is full moon time, that is only 1 night. 

So whoever from you witness the hot fool moon, shall fast it
فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ

You shall fast the hot full moon after you witness it,
that is after July 8 of 2017 (https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2017/july)
and after June 28 of 2018.

Why do people try to arbitrarily fit shahrs in solar year? Who said the year had 365 days?
إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِي

My Lord I repent to you for anything I uttered concerning You for which I have no knowledge of. Indeed You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful