Author Topic: Moses and the 40 Day Appointment  (Read 112 times)

Layth

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-3
Moses and the 40 Day Appointment
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:04:47 AM »
Salam.

In 7:142-143, we have Moses being given 40-days to wait before being able to speak with God (broken down into 30+10 days)"

7:142 And We set a meeting for Moses in thirty  nights, and We complemented them with ten, so the designated time of his Lord was set at forty nights. And Moses said to his brother  Aaron: "Be my successor with my people and be upright, and do not follow the path of the corrupters."

7:143 So when Moses came to Our designated time, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: "My Lord, let me look upon you." He said: "You will not see Me, but look upon the mountain, if it stays in its place then you will see Me." So when his Lord revealed Himself to the mountain, He caused it to crumble;  thus Moses fell unconscious. When he awoke, he said: "Glory to You, I repent to You and I am the first of those who believe."

So, after waiting alone for 30+10 days, God spoke to Moses and revealed His commands..

Yet, to show that this was not to be a "one-off" event, we have Moses once again holding his people to attend to God's designated time:

7:155 And  Moses  selected from his people seventy men for Our designated time; so when  the  earthquake seized them,  he said: "My Lord,  if You wished You could have destroyed  them before this,  and  me as well. Will you destroy  us for what  the  foolish among  us have done?  It is all Your test,  You misguide  with  it whom You please and You guide with it whom You please. You are our Supporter, so forgive us and have mercy on us; You are the Best Forgiver."

The questions I have for this post:

- Why did God break the period into 2 sections (30+10) and not give the 40 days outright?
- If this event repeats (as evidenced by 7:155), then can it be done today?
- Jesus is said to have secluded himself for 40 days during his mission (source: Bible "temptation of Christ") - same reason?
- Is the fast of 2:183-185 (which seems to be broken down into 2 sections) related to this goal of meeting God in His designated time?
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

tutti_frutti

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Moses and the 40 Day Appointment
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:27 AM »
salam layth

i will try to answer (obviously i am not know it all lol and it is only my thoughts which perhaps are completely wrong)

first of all we do not know if moses spoke with The God at the end of the 40 days or throughout the 40 days.

why The God broke the count? maybe to show us that a month is thirty days and when the month was completed He added 10 days. which i used to think is perhaps the period of ramadan

in my opinion the answer to ramadan is in surah 53 (again i am not know it all and this is just my understanding)

perhaps it is when the star descends, when it was in the highest horizon and descended and was close to earth. and what star? well The God mentions He is the Lord of sirius, so for me it is sirius.

remember that The God said there are many angels in the skies (who intercede not for anyone except by His leave) and that He protected the stars (by appointing angels therein?) from every outcast devil when they try to listen (are stars places where The God sends His commands to angels?), so from my understanding angels who are in the skies reside perhaps in stars and gabriel resides (or is?) sirius (the brightest star in our sky and gabriel is the spirit from my understanding)?

The God tells us gabriel (i am guessing The God meant gabriel) rose to true form. so is gabriel the star sirius? or maybe resides therein?

if you google dog days of summer you will see many websites saying that they are 40 days in summer

and according to the bible jesus fasted for 40 days in the desert (however we cannot assume that to be necessarily a true event as no where in Quran is that even mentioned)

what do you mean by “ - If this event repeats (as evidenced by 7:155), then can it be done today?”

peace

jkhan

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-0
Re: Moses and the 40 Day Appointment
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:55:23 PM »
Salam.

In 7:142-143, we have Moses being given 40-days to wait before being able to speak with God (broken down into 30+10 days)"

7:142 And We set a meeting for Moses in thirty  nights, and We complemented them with ten, so the designated time of his Lord was set at forty nights. And Moses said to his brother  Aaron: "Be my successor with my people and be upright, and do not follow the path of the corrupters."

7:143 So when Moses came to Our designated time, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: "My Lord, let me look upon you." He said: "You will not see Me, but look upon the mountain, if it stays in its place then you will see Me." So when his Lord revealed Himself to the mountain, He caused it to crumble;  thus Moses fell unconscious. When he awoke, he said: "Glory to You, I repent to You and I am the first of those who believe."

So, after waiting alone for 30+10 days, God spoke to Moses and revealed His commands..

Yet, to show that this was not to be a "one-off" event, we have Moses once again holding his people to attend to God's designated time:

7:155 And  Moses  selected from his people seventy men for Our designated time; so when  the  earthquake seized them,  he said: "My Lord,  if You wished You could have destroyed  them before this,  and  me as well. Will you destroy  us for what  the  foolish among  us have done?  It is all Your test,  You misguide  with  it whom You please and You guide with it whom You please. You are our Supporter, so forgive us and have mercy on us; You are the Best Forgiver."

The questions I have for this post:

- Why did God break the period into 2 sections (30+10) and not give the 40 days outright?
- If this event repeats (as evidenced by 7:155), then can it be done today?
- Jesus is said to have secluded himself for 40 days during his mission (source: Bible "temptation of Christ") - same reason?
- Is the fast of 2:183-185 (which seems to be broken down into 2 sections) related to this goal of meeting God in His designated time?

Good topic..

Just for info..in my understanding and practice.. I take the start of shahr in full moon and not new moon.. It makes things easier...  Is their anyone who thinks shahr starts with full moon...