Author Topic: Sun rises in the West ?  (Read 1489 times)

truth.seeker

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Sun rises in the West ?
« on: October 11, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »
Salam all,

I just came across some articles which claim that another hadith prediction has come true.

It says about 'RETROGRADE MOTION' (which mars had gone through this year)  due to which we might have 'apparent' motion of the sun from west to east. I haven't gone into the details, but looks like the possibility cant be denied.

I was told by my traditionalist friend that , indeed this was 'predicted' by Prophet Muhammad, ( and i read in one article that even before that, Ptolemy had mentioned this)

hadith goes like this :

Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) said: ?One of the signs of the hour, the sun will rise from the west, where no longer Tauba (forgiveness) will be granted?!

Abu Hurayrah(RA) narrated that the messenger of Allah (Pbuh) said, ?The day of the hour will not come until the sun rises from the west, if it rises and Allah places His hand at night to forgive his morning sinners, and places in the morning to forgive his night sinners until the sun rises from the west? (Muslim).

any thoughts?

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:18:06 AM »
Salaam truth.seeker,
It says about 'RETROGRADE MOTION' (which mars had gone through this year) due to which we might have 'apparent' motion of the sun from west to east. I haven't gone into the details, but looks like the possibility cant be denied.

I'll tell you this, the article that I read about it was a lie!... and a laughable one at that. I got it through e-mail ofcourse, and as you know, most of the traditional muslims will accept it as truth without verifying anything. The article claims that the planet mars, some time last year (or beginning this year, I dont remember which) was going in a certain direction as it always has in orbit, and then all of a sudden STOPPED, AND WENT IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!  :shock:  Hence causing 'the sun to rise from the west in Mars'! :roll:

If you believe that... then I guess you can go ahead and believe the rest of Bukhari's stories while you're at it.  :wink:

In the meantime, I have only this to say about the "prediction by prophet Muhammad"...

6:50.   Say: ?I do not say to you that I posses God?s treasures, nor do I know the future, nor do I say to you that I am an Angel. I merely follow what is inspired to me.? Say: ?Are the blind and the seer the same?; do you not think??

Peace!
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Someone

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:05:02 AM »
Salam,

The planet Mars has always been moving in this elliptical trajectory, as the others planets do. But observing mars from the earth, the planet would seem to stop at a certain time and go in the inverse direction. This is caused by the relative motion of mars versus the motion of the earth.

This is the main reason that pushed copernic (I think it was him) to change the model used in the 15 century, from an earth-centred system to a sun-centred system, in order to explain this special behavior of mars .

This special type of motion is repeated regularly every period of time.

truth.seeker

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:38:10 PM »
Salaam Zenje,

Mars already had this motion this year, and scientists say this happens for every planet. it says APPARENT motion from earth's point of view.  so earth cant experience this thing, i believe.  i didnt really get much info on that.

The links to one of these articles from NASA site :
http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question46.html

Not that I am a hadith advocate, but curious.  Suppose earth experiences this kind of motion, (i may not be technically correct in my assumptions, just supposing ), then sun would APPARENTLY move from west to east, right ? as depicted in the hadith.

just curious.

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:21:59 AM »
Salaam truth.seeker,

I know you're not a "hadith advocate", my reply was kinda aimed at the ones spreading these lies. :lol:

Here's a quote from the website you posted, and I have no arguments with this part...
Answer:
Retrograde motion is an APPARENT change in the movement of the planet through the sky. It is not REAL in that the planet does not physically start moving backwards in its orbit. It just appears to do so because of the relative positions of the planet and Earth and how they are moving around the Sun.

Now understand what's implied by hadithists here, they want to make you (and everyone else) believe that the planet screeched to a halt, and went the other way... that it ACTUALLY DID THIS! Then the sun rises from the 'west'. Here's another thing, the hadith is talking about whats happening here on earth, or maybe in the least, if we were living in mars, this would be one of the signs. :roll:

What I want to re-iterate is, there's NO WAY that the messenger knew what was coming in the future, the verse I posted shows this... so, why bother with such insignificant narrations... when we could be studying the great reading and immensely profit from it?

Peace be with you. 8)
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 05:06:34 AM »
peace All,

I could give a predictive hadith/story that is proved correct. It doesn't mean a thing. How many traditional hadith are wrong?

al quran, unlike traditional hadith, has the premise: ALL of it is correct.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

mhsultan

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Sun rises in the West ?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 07:23:03 PM »
Probably the only way that the sun could rise from the west would be if there was a change in the earth's rotation, ie. if it started turning the opposite way on its axis. That could be caused by a magnetic pole-shifting, where magnetic north would become south, a phenomenon which some scientists say is long-overdue. However, whatever effects that might have on life here on earth are best answered by the verse in the Quran where it says to the effect: the end is closer than you think. Hadith, in my opinion, falsely give the impression its never too late to repent until you actually see the end.