News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Ramadan 2004

Started by Layla Hanifa Amatullah, October 03, 2004, 09:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Layla Hanifa Amatullah

Peace be upon you all,

Just wondering... According to the traditional Islamic calendar another month of Ramadan is drawing near. What are you going to do? Fast the traditional way? 30 days? or maybe fewer? Till night or sunset? Or maybe not fast at all? Please, share :)

Personally, I don't know what to do. I am sure that the traditional apparoach to the Ramadan fast is full of errors, yet we are told to fast in the Quran... Yes, I know there have been many posts about that before but we are learning new things all the time and am just curious of your present understanding of the topic ...

With peace,
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." (17:36)

asdfjk

Peace Layla, all

am gonna fast the same dates as my neighbours - but from dawn till the night.  

I'm going to try and avoid breaking fast with the brothers at the masjid at the mahgrib adhan cos its directly contrary to quranic teaching.... but I don't seek disunity with other rmuslims and if there is no way to avoid it then I'd break fast at that time.  I won't give myself or other ppl a hard time over the exact breaking of fast.  I have my understanding of it but the point of fasting is to learn righteousness - not to become pedantic.

I will probably attend taravee prayers a couple  of times a week - there is a masjid in south manchester with an iman who recites beatifully.

Last year I felt very alienated during Ramadan.  It was my first one and I couldn't deal with the suddenly overflowing mosques and the 20 rakas per night etc etc.  But as the month wore on I learnt a lot from the experience and am looking forward to Ramadan this year. Having to deal with other muslims is, I believe, as much a part of the great test as any other earthly experience.   :wink:

And We have not sent before you any messengers but they most surely ate food and went about in the markets; and We have made some of you a trial for others; will you bear patiently? And your Lord is ever Seeing.

salaams
asdfjk

Damon

Salaam People,

Me personally, I intend to start my fast on the 10th of this month, GW. I really do believe that there is enough evidence from GOD's Book that prove we do not have to fast more than 10 days. But, I'm going to fast for Thirty days anyway because my wife decided that she is going to fast for thirty days and I thought that it would be nice if she and I fasted in like fashion. Besides, why not?

On a side not though, I had a thought earlier today. As Quran Alone Believers, our concepts of Salat are diametrically different than that of the traditional muslims. Their version of "Wudu" is also contradictory to The Quran. Having said that, are they not violating their fast by making the Sunni Wudu during the daylight hours of Ramadhan? The washing for preparation of Salat is mentioned in 4:43 and 5:6 and in neither on of these verses does GOD mention anything about rinsing out our mouths with water. Just a thought.

Salaam People.

GOD Alone/Quran Alone,
Damon.

marie

Salam brother Damon, all,

Quote from: "Damon"
Me personally, I intend to start my fast on the 10th of this month, GW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the new moon begins the 15th of this month and not the 10th.

Looking for your answer.

Regards

Marie
And He is the God, there is no god but He.
[url="http://hanif.free.fr/"]http://hanif.free.fr/[/url]

warda

Salam Layla, all

Thank you posting this question `cause I want  to know also how readers and writers of this site will handle Ramadan this year.

I think we just have to try to be far from that stressy five meals with lots of sweeties afterwards and that stuff. For many female friends of mine Ramadan is the hardest time because they have such a lot of work to do in the kitchen. There is no space for the spiritual feelings. And this is actually what it`s all about. We should never forget that.

asdfjk wrote:
QuoteI have my understanding of it but the point of fasting is to learn righteousness - not to become pedantic.
EXACTLY!  :wink:  

My best memories on Ramadan are when I was quite alone as a muslim , fasting alone in peace and without looking to the clock always but to the window and then having a small dinner and listening to Quran. Poor but pure.
I will fast this year also for 30 days. Partly because its tradition and also I am not convienced yet of what I read about the 10 days fasting. And like Damon said: why not?

asdfjk wrote:
QuoteI'm going to try and avoid breaking fast with the brothers at the masjid at the mahgrib adhan cos its directly contrary to quranic teaching
You mean breaking fast with brothers and sisters in the masjid is contrary to quranic teching? Why? Can you please explain that?

Salam

gclandcp

Salam,

QuoteI'm going to try and avoid breaking fast with the brothers at the masjid at the mahgrib adhan cos its directly contrary to quranic teaching

You mean breaking fast with brothers and sisters in the masjid is contrary to quranic teching? Why? Can you please explain that?

I think its because according to the Quran, we have to fast till night and most of the "Muslim" break their fast before that.

[2 187] It has been made lawful for you during the night of fasting to approach your women sexually. They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray your souls so He has accepted your repentance, and forgiven you; now you may approach them and seek what God has written for you. And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night; and do not approach them while you are devoted in the temples. These are God?s boundaries, so do not transgress them. It is thus that God makes His revelations clear to the people that they may be righteous.

Damon

Salaam Brothers and Sisters,

Marie Wrote:
QuoteCorrect me if I'm wrong, the new moon begins the 15th of this month and not the 10th.

Oops... :oops:  :oops:

Ramadhan Does not start on the 10th. As far as I know, the new moon will begin on the 14th of this Month. This is to the best of my knowledge.

Salaam People.

GOD Alone/Quran Alone,
Damon.

asdfjk

Peace all

Apologies Warda if my choice of words made it seem like I was saying breaking fast in a masjid in un-quranic.  And thank you gclandcp - you are quite correct that my objection is rooted in 2:187

.........And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night............

its the breaking of fast at sunset/maghrib (which is reported as a sunnah of the prophet! hmmmm :roll: ) that I have problems with.

salaams

asdfjk

Wakas

peace All,

IMPORTANT

If one follows al quran, fasting till evening twilight is prescribed, NOT till dark night. Please see 36:37 for proof that night/evening/layl contains some light:

And a sign for them is the night, We remove the daylight from it, whereupon they become in darkness.

The word used in 2:187 is also 'layl'.

This was discussed previously on the forum:

http://www.free-minds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1212

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Wakas

peace All,

I forgot to mention what I'm doing: fasting the traditional ~30 days. I prefer to follow what I have ascertained thus far, and I know to abstain/fast/sawm is required of me. Thus I will do what feels right (within reason) for now, until The God improves my understanding, which I feel is the wasat (most balanced) for me.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]