Author Topic: Why was Hadith forbidden?  (Read 1749 times)

David

• Apprentice
  • Karma +2/-0
Why was Hadith forbidden?
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:27:48 PM »
Salam all,

There are several hadiths that say prophet Muhammad forbade his sayings from being recorded.

Abu Saeed al-Khudri said, ?We exerted our best to get the Messenger of Allah to allow us to write his hadith but he refused.?
Recorded by Al-Baghdadi in Taqyid al-Ilm

Narrated Zayd ibn Thabit:
Al-Muttalib ibn Abdullah ibn Hantab said: Zayd ibn Thabit entered upon Mu'awiyah and asked him about a tradition. He ordered a man to write it. Zayd said: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) ordered us not to write any of his traditions. So he erased it.
Sunan of Abu-Dawood Book 25, Number 3640:

The reason most often given by Hadith followers as to why it was forbidden is formulated by Ramhurmuzi (d. 360 A.H.) as follows:

?Apparently the prohibition was in the beginning to make their attention to the Qur?an only and to distinguish the recording of the Qur?an from the sunnah (traditions) of the Prophet and to keep things safe from any kind of mixture or confusion.?

Sunni Muslims claim that in order for one to be a Muslim, one must uphold both the Quran and the Sunnah (Hadith) of Muhammad. Yet at the same time they claim that the sunnah was not written down to prevent it from mixing with the Quran.

If following both Quran and Sunnah (Hadiths) are necessary conditions for one to be a Muslim, what difference does it make if they were mixed up?

It seems to me that for the followers of the hadiths, Quran and Sunnah (Hadith) are one in the same. Any difference seems to be merely lip service. In reality, there is no distinction drawn, since both are equally binding.

I hope I was able to convey my idea clearly. Any thoughts?

Peace
"Our Lord! Thou hast not created this in vain! Glory be to Thee; Give us salvation from the penalty of the Fire." 3:191

Jaxal

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-1
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »
SaLaM David...

That is a very interesting point you make... and the funny thing is... when sunnis are telling non muslims about how they should follow hadeeths... they never give them the whole picture... if hadeeths are really really supposed to be followed.... then y arent non muslims being told about this particular hadeeths??

To put it simply... sunnis have woven this whole web of lies and hear say around them and they are caught in their own web... the same web that stops them to see the truth... i dont think any sunni will reply to this post.. becoz they know they just cant answer... LOOOOL... supprise supprise eh? LOOOOOOOOLLLLL
She Made Me See The World In A Grain Of Sand.
When The Only Choice You Have Left Is The Wrong One, It'S Not A Choice Anymore... It's Fate.

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 09:34:07 PM »
Quote from: "David"
If following both Quran and Sunnah (Hadiths) are necessary conditions for one to be a Muslim, what difference does it make if they were mixed up?
Because quran and traditional hadith does not a good cocktail make! :wink:

These are the ayat of Allah which We recite to you with truth; then in what hadeeth would they believe after Allah and His ayat? (45:6)

Woe on that day to the disbelievers!  So in what hadeeth after this will they believe? (77:49-50)      

Did they not look at the dominion of heavens and earth, and all that God has created? Perhaps their time is drawing near; so in which hadeeth after this one will they believe? (7:185)

And from the people, there are those who accept baseless hadeeth to mislead from the path of God without knowledge, and they take it as entertainment. These will have a humiliating retribution (31:6)

God has sent down the best hadeeth, a scripture that is similar in two ways. The skins of those who reverence their Lord shiver from it, then their skins and their hearts soften up to the remembrance of God. Such is God's guidance; He guides with it whoever He wills. And for whomever God misguides, then none can guide him. (39:23)

Let them produce a hadeeth like this, if they are truthful. (52:34)

Peace!
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]