Author Topic: struggling with the salat issue? good.  (Read 1259 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
struggling with the salat issue? good.
« on: February 16, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
peace All,

If I may offer some sincere advice...

I have been a member of the board for a long time, and people being unclear/undecided over salat/bond is a common topic.

Personally, I think this is a good thing.

There is no progress without struggle.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

PakistaniAbroad

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
yes but..
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »
there must be some end in sight.. right now, we're just waiting for some breakthrough.. I think we need another messenger  :idea:

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:34:08 PM »
Please do not use the word "we" in your statements.

Do not speak for others when you do not know their view.

Personally, I am clear on what the salat/bond is.

(my article)
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

JHamza

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 06:51:51 AM »
From Wakas' link:

Saad-Lam-Waw (slw). E.W. Lane's Arabic-English lexicon/dictionary gives the following possible meanings of the root:

prayer, supplication, petition, oration, eulogy, benediction, commendation, blessing, honour, magnify, bring forth, follow closely, walk/follow behind closely, to remain attached, to contact or to be in contact.

Thats exactly what Salat comprises:especially the ones I have in italics...all these things we do during salat time..
The problem I am seeing is that some dont want to admit that it uses a form of prayer in it and others wont to say that it is prayer and the only type of prayer that is acceptable..Both views are wrong imo..By the above diffenition Salat(Im referring to the Salat Times) is a special time for contact with God and supplicating to him,and magnifying him,and yes its a time that we use oration as we speak the words to honor him...
But salat(not referring to the Salat times) can also be simply asking Gods blessing over food or in an endeavor.. Salat is not simply prayer.Prayer is what we use to ask God for help,guidence or to ask him of things.Prayers can be said anytime and any moment...
The comanded salat times though are for us to draw closer to and praise God...well this is how I view it.
I submit to the Lord of the Worlds!

PakistaniAbroad

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 03:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Wakas"
Please do not use the word "we" in your statements.

Do not speak for others when you do not know their view.

Personally, I am clear on what the salat/bond is.

(my article)

good for you.. of course when I use "we" I automatically only include those who agree with my point of view.. that we still need more clarifications.. those who 've already made up their minds wouldn't be interested in this debate anyway.

nazz

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:06:43 PM »
I sort of thought that what Salat actually is was coming to a close, the bigger problem being the timing of it.

adley

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +11/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 05:10:45 PM »
Salaam,

I find it a good thing when people are trying to learn to the best of their abilities about something. In this case, shalat.

Personally, I am clear already about the concept of shalat, just don't know whether I have "uphold" it well enough though. Knowing and doing shalat is a big difference for me.

Anyway, people "grow" in their understanding, not getting it instantly. Thus, if two people share a different view of shalat, or any other topics, I view it just because their "growth" is different. But, only Allah knows which one is more "ripe" :D

=adley=
Where faith begins, knowledge ends.