About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

WOMEN'S HEAD COVER

Started by Tony, March 07, 2004, 06:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Salaam all:

I have an important question.

24:31.   And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their chastity, and that they should not reveal their beauty except what protrudes of it, and let them place their covers over their chests, and let them not reveal their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, ....

Not to reveal their beauty? Is this not a justification of the sunni's head covering for women?

Thanks,

Tony

Dhulqarnain

Peace Tony

What is the Arabic term for "beauty" and what are its definitions/uses?  Let's start there.  

My thinking is that "beauty" is referring to the private parts and not the hair.

Tony

Quote from: "dhulqarnain"Peace Tony

What is the Arabic term for "beauty" and what are its definitions/uses?  Let's start there.  

My thinking is that "beauty" is referring to the private parts and not the hair.

Salam dhulquarnain, can you elaborate further?

Dhulqarnain

Peace Tony

Quote from: "Tony"
Quote from: "dhulqarnain"Peace Tony

Salam dhulquarnain, can you elaborate further?

LOL!  That is what I'm asking of you!  I don't know the Arabic word for "beauty" and its definitions/use.

brook

24:31. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their chastity, and that they should not reveal their beauty except what protrudes of it, and let them place their covers over their chests, and let them not reveal their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers ....  (Tony)

The words in bold type in Tony's translation of 24:31 are mistranslations. Take chastity for example. The word corresponding to it in the Arabic text is FARJ, which means GENITAL ORGANS. For proof please refer to 23:5-6, 70:29-30.

The word that correponds to beauty is ZEENAH, which means ORNAMENTS WHİCH women wear such necklaces.

It is true that ZEENAH does mean parts of a woman's body too but it is out of the question in 24:31 because according to this verse children and  male slaves are allowed to see them although theye are forbbidden from doing so according to 24:58-59.

Since there can be no discrepancies in God's Book (4:82), the word zeenah in 24:31 has to mean ornaments  such as necklaces so that no discrapencies will appear between the verses.

To sum it up, a believing woman is allowed to expose her zeenah such as her necklace to children and male slaves but she is forbidden from exposing parts of her body such as her breasts to them. The verse has got nothing to do with the headcover.

Peace,
Hasan

morningdew

Peace.

A question for anyone who might know.

We always mention the scarf!  What about the lower body?  How much of the legs are allowed to show?

shamsul-arefin

Quote from: "brook"24:31. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their chastity, and that they should not reveal their beauty except what protrudes of it, and let them place their covers over their chests, and let them not reveal their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers ....  (Tony)

The words in bold type in Tony's translation of 24:31 are mistranslations. Take chastity for example. The word corresponding to it in the Arabic text is FARJ, which means GENITAL ORGANS. For proof please refer to 23:5-6, 70:29-30.

The word that correponds to beauty is ZEENAH, which means ORNAMENTS WHİCH women wear such necklaces.

It is true that ZEENAH does mean parts of a woman's body too but it is out of the question in 24:31 because according to this verse children and  male slaves are allowed to see them although theye are forbbidden from doing so according to 24:58-59.

Since there can be no discrepancies in God's Book (4:82), the word zeenah in 24:31 has to mean ornaments  such as necklaces so that no discrapencies will appear between the verses.

To sum it up, a believing woman is allowed to expose her zeenah such as her necklace to children and male slaves but she is forbidden from exposing parts of her body such as her breasts to them. The verse has got nothing to do with the headcover.

Peace,
Hasan

Does that mean that a women cant show her ornaments/jewelry such as necklace, ear ring, bracelet or any other in public..??

Mr. K

Quote from: "morningdew"Peace.

A question for anyone who might know.

We always mention the scarf!  What about the lower body?  How much of the legs are allowed to show?

MorningDew,

The decision is left open intentionally by Allah Subhan Wa Taala for different cultures and period of time.

How much to cover it depends on your social and cultural traditions and values. Take Saudi Arabia as an example where women dress up from covered head to toe and on the other hand women in Indonesia and Malaysia wear pants skirts with few with Hijab.

The command of Allah Subhan Wa Taala is to adopt modesty both for men and women and the details are left for you to decide.

This is my understanding which could be wrong.

Mr. K

Quote from: "shamsul-arefin"
Does that mean that a women cant show her ornaments/jewelry such as necklace, ear ring, bracelet or any other in public..??

The flashy ornaments/jewelry draws attention and women are commanded not to show it in public. Allah Subhan Wa Taala our creator knows what is in our mind and hearts and how wild men imagination go after looking at ornaments/jewelry and half exposed women breasts.

When you think logically with your personal daily experiences it becomes more easy to understand the verses of Qur'an.

Someone

Salam all,

What I find weird about women, is when they live in a system with equal rights with men. They don?t stop at the level of equality but go even further.

A man, with all the rights that he have, won?t go outside half naked (except in some cases) under normal circumstances like to go to work, school?

But for a woman with ?equal rights?, she would find it necessary to leave half (if not ?) of her legs naked, or to put some tight pants, or to put a tight shirt with her breast overflowing in the sides? plus some painting on her face and ornaments, and the hair in some fancy ways.

I?m not attacking women here, but from what I observed in some ?free? societies where I lived, women don?t seem capable of finding a just middle in there dress habits.

Does it have something with woman nature?