News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Intro to God

Started by Incognito, March 06, 2004, 09:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incognito

Salaam,

Does anyone here think that introducing children to God through their own religion is better than letting their kids make up their own minds?

I'm not a father myself, but I believe that giving kids a basic idea of God and religion (not just my own) is probably better than just leaving them. Of course I wouldn't want to impose my beliefs upon them but would try to give them an awareness of it. If we left our kids to their own devices isn't there the chance they will choose the wrong path?  :? What do you guys think?

Peace

morningdew

Peace.

I think that is the main big question of most muslims today.  And most of the ones I know try and prevent their children from learning any religion other than Islam.

I have a guess that if islam is true and the one Allah intended for us to follow.  Namely, Quran only.  The majority of the children will realize the truth and stay with Islam.  
I sometimes have thought this is the main reasons muslims have to fight so hard to keep their children hidden from other people and religions.  Islam is so corrupted children will usually stray easily.

My children are constantly seeing other religions.  I live in the Bible belt part oF USA!  HaHa!  They constantly fight to teach my children christianity.  I, on the other hand, fight back, and doubly teach islam by good actions and intelligence.  It does seem to work..  They all state they want to remain muslims.

TheNabi

Peace MorningDew & Incognito

I think parents should encourage an awareness of different things to their children. They will eventually make up their own minds unless they are mentally deficient. I also think that maybe we as muslimeen should encourage our children to follow the system of God.

2:132 And Abraham enjoined his sons and Jacob: "O my sons, God Has selected the system for you, so do not die except as ones who have surrendered."

2:133 Or were you present when death came to Jacob and he told his sons: "Who shall you serve after I am gone?", they said: "Your god, and the god of your fathers Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac; One god and to Him we surrender."

2:134 That was a nation that has passed away; to them is what they have earned, and to you is what you have earned; and you will not be asked regarding what they did.

Also in regards to the children making up their own minds we should take a look at how Ibrahim had a father who was an idolater and yet he (Ibrahim) still turned to God for guidance.

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

asdfjk

Peace Icognito, Joe, MD n all

The verse that first springs to mind is 66.06

O you who believe, protect yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is people and rocks.  Guarding it are stern and powerful Angels who never disobey God; they do whatever they are commanded to do.

Which IMO does say we have a duty to raise our children with a moral framework and a sense of religion.  But I don't think this should be done parrot fashion - you've got to teach the underlying values of Islam -respect, tolerance, decency, charity, humility - and many parents do this whether they have faith or not.  

I think the points made above are all good ones - like Ibrahim we are all told not to unthinkingly follow the practices of the generations before us - and perhaps this guidance to question and investigate should be the foundation for a 'religious upbringing' - like MorningDew said - good actions and intelligence are the key.

salaams
asdfjk

salgan

peace all

it is important for adults to realise weather isalm is a system or a religion before they start teaching there children .

peace saleem
They Live We Sleep

salgan

peace to all

The system of islam deals with practical advice on how we should live and work on this planet in a balanced and productive way .

Br Laytth article on ISLAMIC ETIQUETTE is agood article to teach to your children and otheres on how islamic system advises us how to deal with each othere on this planet.

peace saleem
They Live We Sleep

morningdew

Peace salgan

I have often thought while I am studying the Quran and trying my best to get hadith out of my mind and arranging Quran the best that I can in order of subject that would be a great way to teach my kids.  It is sort of boring for them to read Quran as a book.  However, if the parts are broken down, within a year, I am sure I can complete the study of Quran with my children.  It is my first priority these days.

As far as ritual prayer stuff.  They already know that.  And their dad will keep that up I am sure.  However, they even as kids see that Quran only makes a great deal of sense.

Wakas

peace all,

When I'm back home (not term-time) I hold semi-regular 'islam' sessions (for want of a better word) where most of my family sit down and discuss stuff. It tends to be quran-focused.

I think its important to educate whom you can. Not impose one's views on others, but discuss and think together... it all adds to the betterment.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

idolfree1

Peace be upon you,

I try my best to show my daughter the Laws of the world, not as commandments, but as a cause and effect that permeates the whole universe. I do not tell her things (i used to) like "the  God does not like when you do this or that" instead I say, "you won't like the results if you do such and such". The fact is the God does not have "likes" and "dislikes". These are things that change and the God is above things that change. What we did not "like" when we were younger we "like" now, and vice versa. All any human being can do for another human being as point them to the laws of the universe, which are the cause and effect laws of the God and try your  best to be an example of how whe you work WITH those laws, you succeed, and when you work against them, you fail, and most importantly that EVERYONE will be tested to see who is for real.