Author Topic: Project: 'Root List'  (Read 55345 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
Project: 'Root List'
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 08:39:55 PM »
peace All,

Review of Concordance of Quran by H. E. Kassis, as some of you asked.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520043278/ref=ase_dealtime-da/103-2199997-0930243

Its primary aim is to list all the roots used in al quran and occurrences of the root within al quran. At that, it seems very good. I dont know how accurate it is however (i.e. if it lists every root occurrence all the time). I bring that up because brother Mohamed (Irhazi) gave me one example which suggests an omission.

The concordance is split in two sections, 1st section is about roots associated with The God and the 2nd section is general roots. Annoyingly the 2nd section is not numbered like a contents page, e.g.

1st section = pages 1-101
2nd section  = pages 101-1351

So it does not tell you what page the roots begining with the letter 'Ba' start, or any other letter, for example.

There is a good introduction, discussing briefly about grammar aspects, which I found helpful. Its quite concise though.

The layout of it is as follows: The roots are arranged in alphabetical order, matching the English alphabet. For example, if I want to look up a root beginning with 'Miim' its going to be in the middle somewhere... 'Alif' is at the start... 'Zay' will be near the end etc. so its quite simple to use. For a root it lists the possible meanings, taken from Arberry's translation (because the author regards it as the best English translation). For other possible meanings, it lists the words used by Pickthall, Yusuf Ali and R. Bell, but only if they differ from Arberry's. It also gives valuable information on the grammar of the word, i.e. if its male/female/noun/verb/singular/plural/active/passive/collective etc.

one example of an entry:

----------

*H D TH

HADITH n.m. (pl. ahadith) ~ tiding, talk, discourse, tale, story

4:42       they will not conceal from God one tiding
4:78       they scarcely understand one tiding
4:87
4:140
etc. (continues to list the occurrences and the context like above)

HADDATHA vb. (II) ~ to speak to, to tell, to declare

b) impf. act. (yuhaddithu)

2:76          do you speak to them of what God has revealed
99:4          (gives context)

c) impv. (haddith)

93:11         (gives context)

AHDATHA vb. (IV) ~ to cause to occur, bring something new to pass, introduce, arouse. (pcple. pass.) that which is lately remembered or renewed

b) impf. act. (yuhdithu)

18:70          (gives context for each occurrence)
20:113
65:1

h) pcple. pass. (muhdath)

21:2          (gives context for each occurrence)
26:5

----------

Alternatively, to take a look inside the book, click on the above link.

In what it sets out to do it is very good. Quite simple to use and understand too. However, its main and quite significant weakness is that the possible meanings it gives for a root are few. It is not comprehensive like a lexicon/dictionary, such as Lane (as thats the only one I have to compare it too). In fact, it is nowhere near it. So, I would advise getting a good Classical Arabic lexicon/dictionary as a supplement to it.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Wakas

ps - an online version of this root look-up function can be found online, however, I believe its partially complete:

http://burhan.freewebsitehosting.com/data/m.htm
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

lrhazi

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 10:56:15 PM »
Salam All,

Please help me correct and improve the following letter I am emailing in the name of Progressive Muslims to Sakhr Corp to request from them a Quran Roots Database. Brother Layth gave me the green light to email under that name.

Also, maybe it should emailed to them from a "progressivemuslims.org" address... who can do that?

Thanks.
Mohamed~

Assalam Alaykoum Sakhr,

I am affiliated with Progressive Muslims, <http://www.progressivemuslims.org/>, an online community group where people join to discuss Quran and improve their understanding of its verses. We are working on developing various tools to help people study the Quran, two such examples are :
- <http://burhan.freewebsitehosting.com/data/>
- <http://yaqb.lrhazi.com/index.php>

We have plans for much more powerful and feature-full community portal and we would eternally be grateful if you could help us by providing us with something that you seem to be the only ones to have achieved at the excellence level Quran deserves, namely the MMMP, the morphological analyzer-synthesizer .

We need a database that contains every Arabic word in the Holy Quran, and for each word, we need it to contain contain the root of the word, and then the complete list of all Arabic words that derive wherefrom. The first web site mentioned above is an interface to such a database, which a brother of ours built himself, manually. We are hoping you can donate to us, and to the world, a complete and comprehensive such a Quran concordance database.

We could of course build the database ourselves if you could provide us with the software that implements your MMMP and an API and SDK to use it programmatically.

We will naturally include the full credits, licence files,  on every web-site or application that would contain or make use of your database.

We have seen and some of us frequently use the excellent: <http://quran.al-islam.com/arb/> and it is source of a lot of inspiration for our project.

Jazakum Allahu AAni Al-Islami Kula Khayr.

Best Regards
Mohamed Lrhazi.
ProgressiveMuslims.org
--
Conspiracy: to act in harmony toward a common end

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 07:08:50 PM »
peace Mohamed,

Also, maybe it should emailed to them from a "progressivemuslims.org" address... who can do that?

Probably Layth, pm him.

The letter looks fine, but one mistake, you wrote contain twice:

We need a database that contains every Arabic word in the Holy Quran, and for each word, we need it to contain contain the root of the word

Let us know how it goes.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

TheNabi

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +12/-1
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 07:12:26 PM »
Peace All

The idea sounds grand. Hopefully it can take root and grow.

Take care.

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

lrhazi

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: www.openburhan.com
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 11:17:19 PM »
Quote from: "burhan_21"

I tell you how simple it is to help ... open up notepad type (or cut and paste) an arabic word, type comma, and then type the root. Do that for about 10 words and email me the text file.

Salam Bro,
I'd like to try... where should I start from?

Quote from: "burhan_21"

Although I have better facilities available now, but I know due to heavy traffic I may run out of bandwidth yet again. So I will be making available the source code if php & mysql programmers are interested. The more mirrors the better it will be.

I would like to try and proivde a mirror too. email me the info about how you wanna provide the data (php and mysql db)

Peace,
Mohamed~
--
Conspiracy: to act in harmony toward a common end

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2004, 05:35:43 AM »
peace All,

release 1 of PRL is now ready. you can download it here:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/think-786/PRLr1.zip

Once unzipped, click on the file "list_roots".

~150 roots complete. Almost all of roots beginning with Ba complete.

If anyone has any feedback, feel free to pm or email me.

Wakas

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 07:47:39 AM »
Project Root List release 2 (zip file)

250+ roots complete.

To begin, unzip and click on file named "list_roots".

To contribute, one needs a decent lexicon, Dictionary of Quran (QD) is acceptable, just pm me.

Wakas

www.studyQuran.org

el-Aziz

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 02:32:21 AM »

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +13/-2
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 02:31:06 AM »
peace be upon you All,

Project Root List release 3

~340 roots complete

Wakas

www.studyQuran.org

tux

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2005, 07:57:59 AM »
Quote from: "Wakas"
peace be upon you All,

Project Root List release 3 (zip file)

~340 roots complete

To begin, unzip and click on file named "list_roots".

Wakas

God bless you Wakas