Author Topic: What about all the bad things that happen?  (Read 15174 times)

dotty

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
What about all the bad things that happen?
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
Salaam,

I know that all good things come from God... but what about all the bad things?  If something bad happens to us, (I mean, something really bad... enough to make life a living hell for a long time), which we never created or took any part in?

I'm confident that many bad things happen to us because of our own doing, but what about the things that are not our doing?  If all good things come from God, and all bad things come from satan... then what are your thoughts on why bad things happen to good people?  People that try to live a decent life and do their best to help others?

Do you think God allows bad things to happen to us even if we don't deserve them?  To teach us something or test our strength?

All thoughts are welcome.

peace,
dotty

Peace

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: What about all the bad things that happen?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Hey Dotty,
Who the heck wants only pleasure without pain? Is there such a thing? That's like saying you want to flatten out a roller coaster so you only go up but never down, how boring is that.  Whoever told us that pleasure without pain existed? Just my take on things.
A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it

OPF

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
Hey Dotty,
Who the heck wants only pleasure without pain? Is there such a thing? That's like saying you want to flatten out a roller coaster so you only go up but never down, how boring is that.  Whoever told us that pleasure without pain existed? Just my take on things.

It does exist but when you experience it you don't recognize it - until one day, it's gone ;D

Quote from: Dotty
If all good things come from God, and all bad things come from satan

I don't understand where you got that from. From god alone comes everything (2:116). That doesn't mean, however that god approves/endorses bad (4:79).

Quote from: Dotty
Do you think God allows bad things to happen to us even if we don't deserve them?  To teach us something or test our strength?

You answered your own question?

amin

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »
Salaam,

peace,
dotty

I see it like this.. GOD just guides you to heaven if you start doing good or u start doing something wrong or evil you will be guided to hell.  but in this world you have the free will to do, bad and good.

but to your question about bad things that  you think had happen to good people like you,

dont take it as bad, it may be for a good and start doing good things..
sometimes what we consider bad for now, may actually  be good for tomorrow, many would have faced this in their life.

Jack

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
We all have both a light side (God) and a dark side (satan)

When we do good, we have chosen God..

When we go towards evil, we choose Satan.

4:78   Wherever you may be, death will find you, even if you are in fortified towers. If any good befalls them, they say: "This is from God," and if any bad befalls them, they say: "This is from you!" Say: "All is from God;" what is wrong with these people, they barely understand anything said!

4:79   Any good that befalls you is from God, and any bad that befalls you is from yourself. We have sent you as a messenger to the people and God is enough as a witness.

I find this explanation enlightening:

Salaamun alaikum,

I don't see it as a contradiction because 4/78-79 both talk about different 'dimensions' of an event.

4/78 tells us that every hadith/new event in our lives are from Allah, therefore to denounce it would be to misunderstand it.

4/79 uses the phrase 'min NAFSIka' , i.e. from your soul. It could have been 'minka' (from you) but the soul has been pointed to here. THis is because this evil is in a perceptive sense. You feel you have been touched by evil because of the satanic nature which the nafs is experiencing.

slm.

You gotta follow the truth even it brings the whole thing crumbling down around you - Sam Tyler, Life on Mars (UK)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense

dotty

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Hey Dotty,

Tell this to the child that is beaten and tortured by his parents for years before being rescued.

peace,
dotty

dotty

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »
sometimes what we consider bad for now, may actually  be good for tomorrow, many would have faced this in their life.

This really makes sense to me, but sometimes it is difficult to see it that way.

peace,
dotty

dotty

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »
I don't understand where you got that from. From god alone comes everything (2:116). That doesn't mean, however that god approves/endorses bad (4:79).

4:78   Wherever you may be, death will find you, even if you are in fortified towers. If any good befalls them, they say: "This is from God," and if any bad befalls them, they say: "This is from you!" Say: "All is from God;" what is wrong with these people, they barely understand anything said!

4:79   Any good that befalls you is from God, and any bad that befalls you is from yourself. We have sent you as a messenger to the people and God is enough as a witness.

I will study these more carefully, thank you.

peace,
dotty

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
peace,

If bad things only happened to bad people, then the world would be illogical and incompatible with free-choice.

Without experiencing bad, we would never know good.

If God exists, then there is no injustice in the end.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Peace

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
lol OPF you are definitely right, I obviously didn't think my words through. In the present moment there is either pleasure or pain, not both at the same time (sometimes). What I'm trying to say is they are both poles of the same magnet so to speak. Just as a wave has a crest and a trough, pleasure is inseperable from pain. A mountain peak implies a bottom, and similarly, pleasure implies pain and vice versa.

You are right Dotty in saying that my words will not comfort a child who has been beaten. Words will do nothing, except point.
Anyway, I know nothing and just felt like typing these words, I cannot even tell you who 'I' am. I suggest we all endeavour before embarking on anything, to figure out who's doing the embarking. Who is thinking these thoughts? Who is experiencing anger and frustration, love and happiness?

Who is it that doesn't want to experience pain? Who is it that wants eternal pleasure?

I know none of what I say answers your questions, but in writing this, I'm attempting to answer some of my own. Sorry for the hijacking of your thread, or for the insensitivity in my posts.
Peace
A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it