Author Topic: Is God SEriouss?  (Read 1376 times)

Peace

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Is God SEriouss?
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:17 PM »
Who here believes God is serious all the time? Just interested in what sort of image people have of God in their minds... and don't tell me you dont envision God at all, because I know you're imagining God right now.
A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it

OPF

Re: Is God SEriouss?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
Who here believes God is serious all the time?

Underlined is where I stopped reading. Think about it.

Latifah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +5/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
Who here believes God is serious all the time? Just interested in what sort of image people have of God in their minds... and don't tell me you dont envision God at all, because I know you're imagining God right now.

Peace 'Peace'  :) ,

I believe that God is serious even when He/She is using humor (i.e. funny things that happen to us in our daily life). The Almighty is always teaching us something. In good and bad times, the Almighty is always serious.

It actually depends on your defenition of the word 'serious'. What does 'serious' mean to you?

GOD wishes to lighten your burden, for the human being is created weak. [4:028 Quran/Final Testament]

Lost Philosopher

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »
You know that stuff thats funny even when you shouldn't laugh? Thats Gods doing, I think that God was around at least 100,000,000... (to long to continue) years before he created us. So he would have had to come up with a pretty sick sense of humor for being alone all that time.
Everything I say or do is either to gain knowledge and strengthen my philosophy or to express and explain that philosophy. -LP

Peace

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:09:54 PM »
Peace All
Hey OPF,
I shouldn't have written "all the time", I didn't mean it in that sense. Time boundaries don't apply to God, as God is eternal. But what I meant to convey was, a lot of Christians seem to have the Idea that God is some serious ruler, who doesn't permit laughter in church. I know you're probably thinking that God is outside human boundaries, and therefore, we cannot apply our behavior to an all powerful God. But remember, God created humour and laughter (which is one of the joyous experiences that we have). Also, looking at the way that heaven is portrayed in Christian paintings, we find very solemn looking angels surrounding the Lord's throne (very boring in my opinion).

When we read the Quran how come we never find laughter? Imagine people laughing during the Hajj, or joking around with one another in the mosque. Remember those times when you'd share a joke with a friend during a serious class;  the teacher was at the blackboard teaching a lesson, you'd both try to contain that jubilant laughter. You'd look over at your friend who's face was turning red, and who was desperately trying to contain that laughter (because you'd get in trouble), and you'd feel it building up inside of  you as well, until finally you'd both erupt laughing. When you think of that time, don't you feel extremely happy? Can you read the Quran and laugh? In fact, I think I recall a verse in the Quran that compares the laughter of disbelievers to the obnoxious noise that a donkey makes. If someone could post it, I'd be grateful.

Now, I know a lot of us don't go to church, or the mosque, or anything like that. But why do we always view having fun and laughing as something to be frowned upon when it comes to religion or religious matters. There is no way to be angry at someone when you're in a fit of laughter. Laughter breaks down barriers between religions, and is a tool that can be used to bring about changes (and isn't that what any way of life aims at). Why do we take life as being such a serious thing, when we have so many examples of how funny it actually is... I suppose what I'm trying to say is that, we should extend humour to every region of our lives, until we are filled with happiness.
A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it

Peace

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:12:52 PM »
LOL, nevermind, this site is filled with laughter. I just spotted the humour thread  ;D

OPF

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »
It isn't frowned upon or in any way taken negatively, except when it causes idleness. Part of the Quranic order is to be kind to others, and part of that package is humour.

We only find love when it has a condition, in the Quran. As for laughter, see 53:43. God spells out "his" role in this, as the provider. Look at the rain, it can either provide crops to grow, or it can ruin a farmer's day. Likewise, God is similar. It's mentioned in 11:71 in the positive.

So, to say "God" is "serious" would be like asking whether the rain is "serious", really. The question doesn't work. Seriousness is subjective.