Author Topic: Charity  (Read 30625 times)

Haroon

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Charity
« on: March 01, 2007, 07:04:37 AM »
Ok, here at Free-Minds we\'re considering a page/part of the website that links to charities where people can go learn about the cause and either get involved or donate money.

What kind of charities would you like to see supported?

We\'re just generating ideas and canvassing for opinion at the moment!

peace

Tay

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +11/-3
Re: Charity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
Peace Haroon,

Great idea!
The Make-a-wish foundation is one of my favorites. Besides that, anything that deals with housing, feeding, or treating those in need is, imo, priority.

Peace,
Tay
And you see the mountains, you think they are solid, while they are passing by like the clouds. The making of God who perfected everything. He is Expert over what you do. [27:88]

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
There are some sites/organisations who monitor efficiency of charities in terms of how much they spend on the cause compared to how much they spend on admin etc., e.g. http://www.charitywatch.org/index.html

I have a preference for charities that work on the causes as well as treating the symptoms.

Of course, for me, its more about the intention so I dont usually do research before giving to a charity.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Haroon

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 03:18:14 AM »
Tay and Wakas.

Thank you so much for replying the post.

Both of you have made good suggestions.

Tay, I agree that anything that deals with housing, feeding and treating those in need is a priority.

Wakas, again, a very valid point, charities that remedy/treat the cause and not just the symptom.

What if as well as the links of charities where donations can be made, we also link to charities that educate about various causes and promote awareness of the work they are doing.

After all, education is a necessity for a lot of these causes too.

What are your thoughts?

lilyfleur

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:44:51 PM »
Peace Haroon, everyone,

I'm happy to see that this subject is being discussed. I am searching for an organization that helps innocent children who are being effected by war. The following article discusses just some of the tragedy. I agree that treating the cause is most effective rather than just treating the symptom. However, since I am unfortunately unable to stop the war in Iraq, I would like to find a way to immediately help the children there. It's a bit overwhelming thinking of the suffering they are enduring. If any of you is familiar with a trustworthy way in which to do something, anything, please let me know.

http://www.antiwar.com/jamail/?articleid=9028

Peace and love,
lf

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
http://www.savethechildren.org/

The above is a good charity imo.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Haroon

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 02:25:14 AM »
i like the look of Save the Children.

lilyfleur

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:00:20 AM »
                       "After three years in southern Iraq, Save the Children USA ended its operations on March 1, 2006"

Peace sc, Haroon, everyone,

Thank you for the Save the Children idea. I do think they are an outstanding organization, however as you can see by the link i provided, they are no longer working in Iraq. They claim to have been one of the last charity organizations to leave due to security issues.

http://www.savethechildren.org/countries/middle-east-eurasia/iraq.html

There is www.operationiraqichildren.org/ , but the picture of GWB sitting at the table with the actor who founded the org turned me off. A bit hypocritical i'd say. I will look into it further though. Thanks again.

peace,
lf

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 08:02:32 AM »
If one is in the UK, they can give donations to charity as "gift aid" which means that the charity reclaims back the tax you paid on your donation amount. They may have similar schemes in other countries.

Also, if you are a business, in the US or UK, you can give to charity and it's a tax deductable.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
Quote from: Tay
Besides that, anything that deals with housing, feeding, or treating those in need is, imo, priority.
Agreed. I like to concentrate more on the 'feeding' part. And I may be biased, but when I have a choice, I tend to look to the poor in Africa (or atleast 'third world' countries).

IMO there's a huge difference between poverty in the U.S. and poverty in Kenya, for example.

If one is in the UK, they can give donations to charity as "gift aid" which means that the charity reclaims back the tax you paid on your donation amount. They may have similar schemes in other countries.

Also, if you are a business, in the US or UK, you can give to charity and it's a tax deductable.
It's the same i the U.S. One can in turn use the savings or tax refunds for a charity as well.

Peace
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]