News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

I am here! Drum rolls please..

Started by sikes, January 05, 2007, 02:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikes

Peace All,

Name: sikes (short version of my real name).

Intro: My story is not extraordinary or anything, but felt I needed to make an entrance with a big bang KABOOM ;D.

Birth: Born to a muslim family (sunni by definition, although we weren't aware) - and you thought I'll give out my b'day  ;).

Religious practices: believed in the 5 pillars, hadeeth was a 2nd source of religion and all the other prophesies etc etc etc.

Upbringing: Brought up somewhat traditionally, no short skirts or the like, but no head cover either, oh and men ARE from mars and women ARE from venus, know the difference and stay away!

I am here (ta daa): as a result of my quest to find a punishment for not wearing the hijab as defined by the Quran.

and now for the details:
Deep deep deep... down I must have believed that anything not found in the Quran cannot be justified by the hadeeth, cos I used to question a lot of things once upon a time too, some out loud, some to my self, anyways my quest brought me to submission.org and then I moved on to other sites promoting God Alone. It has been quite progressive MA.

Parents: My parents always gave priority to common sense, still do, in my opinion they were God Alone, yet was not at a position to totally reject hadeeth as I have. My mom still believes to some extent that hadeeth plays an important role, although she is of two minds, my dad if he was alive right now, would in all probability reject hadeeth totally. What I am trying to say is that some people are subconsciously God Alone, yet don't realise it etc.

Background info on Islam in SL:
Well what can I say, mish-mash of a lot of things, majority is sunni, although most people don't realise, and we do have shia as well. Among these 2 groups we have plenty of other baby groups: thabligh, thawheed, naksha-bandi, ahamadi, jamath, people who pray to/for saints and God knows what else. And for the most part they all find something wrong with each other (go figure).

We have a "grand" mosque that plays havoc and people who don't agree with the mosque, but won't do anything about it. We have a school curriculum that teaches more hadeeths than Quran but no honest effort to teach people arabic.

There was a sudden surge in the number of hijab wearing, beard growing people after many went to the mid-east for jobs, and now we have lot's and lot's and lot's of "religious" people. As a result a muslim is judged by how long his beard is, or how well she has covered herself or how dark the mark on the person?s forehead is (generally speaking) also applicable to the level of knowledge they have on religion too. By all their standards, my mom and mostly meself are destined to go to hell (  ::) whatever dude..), and as far as knowledge is concerned, the very idea of someone like me talking religion is hilarious if not blasphemous (mind you I don't claim to know a lot, and may God help me in acquiring it). Oh well life goes on..  :yay: la di da. Point to note: these are observations and should not be taken as offences, and although I generalised I do know that all are not the same..

Latest news:
(1). My mom at times thinks I am a religious nut because I challenge a lot of her theories with the Quran. The general rule of thumb for muslims in SL is a girl/woman is either under the care of her parent/s or her husband, we are not an independent, individual entity that can think and act for ourselves - yeah right, as if. But of course she's not all that bad, cool person really :) she also thinks I am nuts and psychotic for other reasons (..ahem).
(2). A colleague of mine at work said that I am following the path of Shaitan because I have discarded hadeeth as a source of religion and that she was concerned for me and felt very sad for me (aww poor puppy pooh). My response: "Yipeee! and don't bother!  >:D" I think that and the fact that I was refuting all her arguments really pissed her off (what? was it something I said?  :confused: )

So sikes, wasap with you now?
Well as all of you know quite well, there?s a lot to learn (infact "lot" would be an understatement), and one of the projects I am hoping to undertake (with God's help) is to translate the Quran meself (ambitious task, I know), I feel that would be more easier and interesting instead of comparing and contrasting translations imho. So with this intro I also have a request and a question.

-request: do you know of anyplace I can purchase the E.W Lane Arabic-English lexicon for somewhat of a cheaper price, I know there is a site that gives it for free on DVD, but I prefer the hard copy. Amazon is selling for $450 (8 volume)and about $165 (2 volume condensed version), a bit too high by my standards.

-question: my knowledge on arabic is below nil, so this question might sound a bit naive. Are there great many differences between the usages of words in classical and modern arabic? If there are, would the differences still matter, i.e., since the Quran is universal and stands the test of time, shouldn't it also stand the test of language evolution? (ok so it was 2 questions)

Yup so I think that's about it from my end, Ok will stop rambling now ;) Hope to catch you guys again soon! And I leave you with these words "May God almighty be with us and guide us now and always AND not make us arrogant with the knowledge we acquire!"

Oh and keep up the good work with the forum, all of you, umma! :-*

Peace,
sikes
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!  ;D

andy

Salaam sikes,

:welcome:

Quote from: sikes on January 05, 2007, 02:31:18 AM
What I am trying to say is that some people are subconsciously God Alone, yet don't realise it etc.

I agree sikes ...

Alen

Salam.

:welcome: to the forum, sikes and may The God Almighty The Most Powerful protect you and bless you and reward you with Paradise.

Hope you'll enjoy this forum.

Peace.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

zenje

Upon special request...

Welcome to the board.
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

TheNabi

Peace Sikes

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if there are cheaper prices for Lanes Lexicon. I bought mine for around 250. There was someone on the forum selling another (arabic) lexicon I believe. I'm not sure about the details of that situation. I'd suggest if you really want it and can only get it at the aforementioned prices start saving up.   :)

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

IronSky

Peace to all,

Welcome Sikes, really liked your story, hope you enjoy your time hear and hope you make some good friends, you sound like a funny and intelligent sister.

Kurt

tanveermd

Peace Sikes,

Welcome to the forum  :welcome:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. May The God guide us all to the straight path.

SarahY

welcome.. interesting intro

i also think the Quran has been mistranslated.. though to translate it would require much much knowledge

goodluck

salam
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Wakas

peace skies,

Nice intro.

Wlcome to the forum.

If you can get LL the condensed 2 book version for $165 then its unlikely you'll get it cheaper than that. Did you get the prices the other way round? $165 is cheap for the 2 book version. I've seen it and it is very nicely done.

If you are unfamiliar with Arabic then using the hardcopy of LL would be quite slow. Project Root List (http://www.studyquran.co.uk/PRLonline.htm) has organised nearly all the roots in The Quran, linking them to LL, which is much much faster. Also, it gives every occurrence of the root which is crucial for any quality study, and is currently building up the grammar info for every single word, which will be handy too.

If you still definitely want a hardcopy, see the following thread:
http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=10416.msg53239#msg53239

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

sikes

Peace All

Thank you all for the welcome and the drums (+ cymbals) ;D

I have been checking out http://www.studyquran.co.uk, really neat site, and I should get the 2 book version, hopefully I can get some of my funds released :)

To Wakas: I checked out the thread you have posted, the following links that were in the thread seems to be broken:

http://www.free-minds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3870
http://www.free-minds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3982

Anyways, thanks for the info all :) catch ya later..

Peace,
sikes
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!  ;D