About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Criticism of Mecca and Kaaba

Started by Lobster, December 22, 2006, 07:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alen

Salam.

Mekka has changed.
Mecca is not anymore what it was in the beginning.
I mean, today not only do people try to make profit but they are not ashamed to make profit with it.

[Quran; 2:125] We have rendered the shrine (the Ka`aba) a focal point for the people, and a safe sanctuary. You may use Abraham's shrine as a prayer house. We commissioned Abraham and Ismail: "You shall purify My house for those who visit, those who live there, and those who bow and prostrate."

[2:127] As Abraham raised the foundations of the shrine, together with Ismail (they prayed): "Our Lord, accept this from us. You are the Hearer, the Omniscient.

"The most important shrine established for the people is the one in Becca; a blessed beacon for all the people. In it are clear signs: the station of Abraham. Anyone who enters it shall be granted safe passage. The people owe it to GOD that they shall observe Hajj to this shrine, when they can afford it. As for those who disbelieve, GOD does not need anyone." [3:96-97]

Peace.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

tanveermd

Peace Alen,

QuoteMekka has changed.
Mecca is not anymore what it was in the beginning.
I mean, today not only do people try to make profit but they are not ashamed to make profit with it.

[Quran; 2:125] We have rendered the shrine (the Ka`aba) a focal point for the people, and a safe sanctuary. You may use Abraham's shrine as a prayer house. We commissioned Abraham and Ismail: "You shall purify My house for those who visit, those who live there, and those who bow and prostrate."

[2:127] As Abraham raised the foundations of the shrine, together with Ismail (they prayed): "Our Lord, accept this from us. You are the Hearer, the Omniscient.

"The most important shrine established for the people is the one in Becca; a blessed beacon for all the people. In it are clear signs: the station of Abraham. Anyone who enters it shall be granted safe passage. The people owe it to GOD that they shall observe Hajj to this shrine, when they can afford it. As for those who disbelieve, GOD does not need anyone." [3:96-97]

The verses you quoted have "Bakka" as context, and not Mecca. First you make a remark about Mecca and then quote verses that have nothing to do with Mecca. The verses talk about the "bayt" at Bakka. In addition to that you have mistranslated a few words in these verses which change the meaning entirely, and I hope that was not intentional.

Mistranslated verse #1

It is not "focal point" which implies "qibla", but the arabic word in the verse is "mathabatan" which means reward/replacement/compensation/model/resort/assembly. It is not "shrine" which has pagan connotations, but the arabic word is "albayta" meaning house/sanctuary. Please note that you translated the same word as "house" at the end of the verse which I bolded above. It is not "Abraham's shrine", the corresponding arabic word is "maqam" meaning place/station/persistence. Also there is no word in arabic for "sanctuary", where you said "safe sanctuary"; the arabic word is "amnan" meaning safety/security, and there is no arabic word for "sanctuary" in that place.

The correct translation/interpretation in my understanding would be as follows:

2:125 And when We made The House (as) a reward/replacement/compensation/model/resort/assembly for the people, and (a) safety/security, and they took from Abraham's place/station/persistence a place of salat/connection/link, and We entrusted/recommended to Abraham and Ishmael: "That purify/clean/wash My House for the visitors/passers by, and the devoted/dedicated/remaining, and the humble, the submissive."

Mistranslated verse #2

It is not "shrine" but "house/sanctuary". It is not "foundation OF the house/sanctuary", for which the corresponding arabic would be "alqawa3ida LI albayti"; the original arabic in the verse is "alqawa3ida MIN albayti", meaning "foundation FROM the house/sanctuary".

The correct translation in my understanding would be as follows:

2:127 And when Ibrahim raises the foundations/bases from The House/Sanctuary, and Ismail: "Our Lord accept from us, that you are the hearing/listening the knowledgeable."

Mistranslated verse # 3

"The most important shrine established for the people is the one in Becca; a blessed beacon for all the people. In it are clear signs: the station/persistence of Abraham. Anyone who enters it shall be granted safe passage. The people owe it to GOD that they shall observe Hajj to this shrine, when they can afford it. As for those who disbelieve, GOD does not need anyone." [3:96-97]

Again, it is not "shrine", which has pagan connotations, but "house/sanctuary". It is not "most important", but the arabic word is "awwala" meaning "first". The correct translation would be:

3:96-97 That (the) first House/Sanctuary was raised to the people, (is) which (is) with (in) Bakka , blessed and guidance, to the worlds/all beings. In it (are) signs/verses (in) Abraham's place/position/station, and who entered it, was/is/became safe/secure, and to God on the people performing hajj/debate/conference of the House/Sanctuary who was/is able (to find) a way/method to it, and who disbelieved, so that God (is) rich from (not in need of) the worlds/all beings.