Author Topic: muslim in space and salat  (Read 1198 times)

Kashif

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
muslim in space and salat
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »
Check this article. Performing salat in the space?? They need to re-examine the Quranic version of salat but Hey, look at the bright side finally muslims will be in space.

R&D
When a day lasts 90 minutes, how often does a Muslim astronaut pray?
By Amos Kenigsberg
DISCOVER Vol. 27 No. 08 | August 2006

As Malaysia's space program prepares to send the country's first astronaut to the space station next year, it is confronting some of the standard first-astronaut questions: what scientific research to pursue, which local delicacy to bring aboard, and who among the eager candidates should go. It is also tackling some more unusual quandaries, such as when to conduct the five daily Islamic prayers on an orbiting ship where a day lasts only 90 minutes.

In April the Malaysian national space agency held a two-day conference, Islam and Life in Space, to address these issues. One of the star attractions was a computer program called Muslims in Space, which calculates when spacefaring Muslims should pray and, using spherical trigonometry, discerns the direction of the Ka'aba, the holy shrine in Mecca that Muslims face during prayer. To settle the timing question, the software divides the space station's 90-minute "days" into the same five periods used for prayer in conventional, ground-based Islam. The program then links these periods to standard Greenwich time, so the astronauts can pray at both the correct Earth time and the correct time of day that they perceive on the space station.

Now Zainol Abidin, the National University of Malaysia electrical engineer who created Muslims in Space, is porting it to a PDA that astronauts can easily carry onto the station. People involved with Malaysia's space program say that other religious questions will most likely be addressed by drawing on compromises developed on Earth.

For example, Muslims in zero gravity may use a wet cloth rather than water for ritual cleaning, as is done in the desert, and they can pray while sitting in a chair--as disabled Muslims do--rather than struggling to kneel on floating prayer mats.

Elke

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +8/-3
Re: muslim in space and salat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:42:18 AM »
LOL!!!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery ; none but ourselves can free our minds"
(Bob Marley, Redemption Song)

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »
Err.. Houston We Have a Problem!
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Kashif

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »
Err.. Houston We Have a Problem!

LOL   :rotfl:

Alen

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +11/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:08:31 AM »
Salam.

It is said in the Qur'an to face Makkah when we want to pray, correct?
Correct.
Okay, so, if you are in space, just turn towad planet Earth, it's simple and easy, because Makkah is on Earth, last time i checked.

May Allah s.w.t. protect us all.
Salam.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

Kashif

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 11:51:15 AM »
Dear Allen,

I wish if it was that easy as you suggested.

if it is than they would't be doing following:

One of the star attractions was a computer program called Muslims in Space, which calculates when spacefaring Muslims should pray and, using spherical trigonometry, discerns the direction of the Ka'aba, the holy shrine in Mecca that Muslims face during prayer.

peace

shamsul-arefin

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 01:33:49 PM »
as most muslims always do...put their effots in wrong places...!!

peace

Danish

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
It is not 'Allah' that is protecting the Muslims, but the Muslims protecting their 'Allah'. :rotfl:

Kashif

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »
It is not 'Allah' that is protecting the Muslims, but the Muslims protecting their 'Allah'.

You lost me here; how above statement is relevant to this thread?

peace

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:11:56 AM »
It is not 'Allah' that is protecting the Muslims, but the Muslims protecting their 'Allah'.

This comment was for Shamsul's other posting about God being on the side of USA and Israel but it still exposes once again the sheer ignorance of Everwhine.

Allah is with al-muttaqeen, as-sabireen but never with a people because of their name. 'The muslims' in the world today have , in my experience, shackled AQ and this is the consequence.

But don't bother telling Everwhine, leave him to his rants.