Author Topic: 10:87 correct translation?  (Read 1055 times)

seekingtruth1111

• Apprentice
10:87 correct translation?
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
Peace

Which one should be the correct translation of the verse 10:87. I have found the translations quite different between different translators. Sometimes the difference is 180 degree apart.

God inspired Moses and his brother

-- To provide/Apoint/set aside/Settle people houses in Misr    or   Let people leave their already existing houses in Misr ?

-- To make their houses places of worship   or  make their houses direction of worship/focal point ?

Also is the word Qibla/focal point mentioned here in the context of Salat/prayer ?

Yusuf Ali
10:87  We inspired Moses and his brother with this Message: "Provide dwellings for your people in Egypt, make your dwellings into places of worship, and establish regular prayers: and give glad tidings to those who believe!"

Picktall
10:87 And We inspired Moses and his brother, (saying): Appoint houses for your people in Egypt and make your houses oratories, and establish worship. And give good news to the believers

Muhammad Asad

10:87 And [thus] did We inspire Moses and his brother: "Set aside for your people some houses in the city, and [tell them], `Turn your houses into places of worship, and be constant in prayer!' And give thou [O Moses] the glad tiding [of God's succour] to all believers."

----------------------

Sahih International
10:87 And We inspired to Moses and his brother, "Settle your people in Egypt in houses and make your houses [facing the] qiblah and establish prayer and give good tidings to the believers."

----------------------

The Monotheist Group

10:87 And We inspired to Moses and his brother: "Let your people leave their homes in Egypt, and let these homes be your focal point, and hold the communion. And give good news to the believers."

Edip-Layth
10:87 We inspired to Moses and his brother: "Let your people leave their homes in Egypt, and let these homes be your focal point and hold the contact prayer. Give good news to those who acknowledge."

Peace

Abdullah

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
Re: 10:87 correct translation?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
peace,

I strongly recommend this as the starting point: http://corpus.quran.com type in 10:87 top right box

Some info: http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/meaning-masjid-al-haram-Quran.html
2) The word "qiblah", and its root (QBL), cannot be shown to clearly mean "prayer direction" in any AQ occurrence.
3) All traditional commentators translate the only other occurrence of the specifc noun "qiblah" (apart from these verses) in 10:87 as "oratories / places of worship" not "prayer direction". The likely reason is that to do so would make little sense as 10:87 says "...and make your houses a qiblah...". Further, they turn it into a plural here, whilst elsewhere it is singular.

The article also discusses the meaning of "qiblah" further.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
Not here for an argument, but:

We need to look at what the surah is saying, rather then words by themselves.

They are being told to separate themselves, they  are already living there, as they where being oppressed , and make your case a focal point/ talk of the town ? and eventually after debates with pharaoh and his men Moses won as the cabinet split ? some of pharaohs men sided with Moses and eventually they where allowed to go???.

:peace: :peace:

Earthdom

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »
They are being told to separate themselves, they  are already living there, as they where being oppressed , and make your case a focal point/ talk of the town ? and eventually after debates with pharaoh and his men Moses won as the cabinet split ? some of pharaohs men sided with Moses and eventually they where allowed to go???.

Be honest, I get laughing after reading your post.Cabinet split?? they were allowed to go?? From where that kind stories came from?

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
Be honest, I get laughing after reading your post.Cabinet split?? they were allowed to go?? From where that kind stories came from?

Its in the quran, no joke.

Moses was told to get the people on his side , by getting the peoples attention of the oppression they sufferred under tyrenical rule, some of the cabinet of pharoe took his side , pharoe told them off , saying you dare take his side without my permission but in the end the sea was split into two / the government(or the community) was split into two and Moses was allowed to go with his people/ allowed to go home dry.

:peace: