News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

24:31 strike their feet or separating/parting their legs

Started by warner, May 17, 2006, 09:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warner

24 : 31   

Yusuf Ali   And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands their fathers their husbands' fathers their sons their husbands' sons their brothers or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons or their women or the slaves whom their right hands possess or male servants free of physical needs or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not STRIKE THEIR FEET in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments.  And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah that ye may attain Bliss.   

In above verse "yadrib na biarjulihin na.... strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments" , I guess is the wrong translation.

For yadrib/darab the the meanings beat, put forth , put forward, travel or go forth, move
separate, being apart, to put a distance can be found in the use of these words in the Quraan. (Eg 4:34, 4:94 ,4:101, 14: 45 , 39:27 , 37:93 and in many other verses )

Biarjulihin/Rijla means legs.

The word for Feet is qadam.

By parting the legs too much while sitting or when walking women can show their
hidden attractions. I never understood the reason for women to strike their feet or how
that can show their attraction.

This is my humble opinion of the verse and please add your thoughts.

AhmedBahgat

Peace

I believe the verse is talking about the foot bracelets where in the past they used to wear some big ones that make noises as you walk, and the more they hit the ground while walking the more the attraction they bring to themselves while walking in public

I donlt think that a walking woman with parting legs will reveal her hidden attraction because a loose and long Jlibab (a dress) should take care of that

Cheers

ayman

Peace Warner,

Thank you for an excellent observation.

Quote from: warner on May 17, 2006, 09:36:31 AMIn above verse "yadrib na biarjulihin na.... strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments" , I guess is the wrong translation.

For yadrib/darab the the meanings beat, put forth , put forward, travel or go forth, move
separate, being apart, to put a distance can be found in the use of these words in the Quraan. (Eg 4:34, 4:94 ,4:101, 14: 45 , 39:27 , 37:93 and in many other verses )

Biarjulihin/Rijla means legs.

The word for Feet is qadam.

hidden attractions. I never understood the reason for women to strike their feet or how

You are precisely right. This is naturally good and 100% RELEVANT advice to women. Even wearing long dress, a woman spreading her legs wide apart while sitting is provocative and is not good manners.

I don't think that the passage is obsolete as most women don't wear big foot-bracelets. Moreover, how about jingling bracelets on the hands, it would equally attract attention. In fact, belly dancers wear little drum-like rattles on their fingers to attract attention.

More importantly, the word "daraba" in the great reading is ALWAYS used to mean "separate" never "beat" in all of its occurrences.

Peace,

Ayman
الإسلام من القرآن
www.quran4peace.org
[url="https://www.facebook.com/Quran4Peace"]https://www.facebook.com/Quran4Peace[/url]
English: [url="http://www.quran4peace.org/en_index.html"]http://www.quran4peace.org/en_index.html[/url]

Elke

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery ; none but ourselves can free our minds"
(Bob Marley, Redemption Song)

warner

Hey Elke,

Basic instinct and Peace in the same line ?

I guess the appropriate translation would be
"Do not move your legs (can be sitting or walking) in a way to reveal your hidden attraction"
Since Elke is in to Hollywood...if you walk like Naomi Campbel even with a quite loose fitting garment still a woman will draw lot of attention. Attraction is not only showing a part of the body its the figure also.

Peace

Elke

sorry if i offended you warner
but peace is one of my basic instincts
having fun is another

peace lk
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery ; none but ourselves can free our minds"
(Bob Marley, Redemption Song)

idolfree1

almarh0m

Peace all

One would think that 'Striking their Feet ' is more referring to female "strutting their Stuff" ala Female Models in a Fashion Parade , That surely will attract attention from male and female.  :-[

Cheers

almarh0m
"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

Arnold Yasin

Peace.

Quote from: almarh0m on May 21, 2006, 03:29:56 AM
Peace all

One would think that 'Striking their Feet ' is more referring to female "strutting their Stuff" ala Female Models in a Fashion Parade , That surely will attract attention from male and female.  :-[

Cheers

almarh0m

That was only one example, he shows the real arabic meaning which is intruiging, and still it refers to not move in a way that seduces, so this refers also still to dancing and strutting and so on you refer to.

"Do not move your legs  in a way to reveal your hidden attraction"

el-Aziz

Quote from: warner on May 17, 2006, 09:36:31 AM
24 : 31   

It doesnt say that this verse speaks of women in a perticular discourse as in walking or sitting.
I rather say this is a matter of not letting someone in to easily.

KGB

Hi Stephnie

It is good to know that you are still reading Qur'an even after converting to Judaism.  :) Keep it up.
Qur'an - The Final Words of Allah (SWT).
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is The Last Prophet & The Last Messenger.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Rahmatan lil AAalameena.
Prophet Muhammad is Rosool Allah.
Prophet Muhammad is Kathim un Nabieen.

Lobster

Quotegood reference to "basic instinct"... Wink

peace lk

good one Elke. :)
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

warner

No offence elke and peace be on you.

Peace everybody.

Letting in too easily and moving the legs.....

Only way you can let some one in is through marraige,  easily or otherwise.

If you let anyone in for money or gratification or because you are fast loose and easy or want to be accepted that is called zina. Its dealt sepatarely.

Who is Stephanie btw

KGB

el-Aziz

Quote from: KGB on May 21, 2006, 11:41:09 AM
Hi Stephnie

It is good to know that you are still reading Qur'an even after converting to Judaism.  :) Keep it up.

Haha! Judaism where most of the koranic material comes from anyway so it's inevitable not read it, regardless in what book(s).

St?phane (without an i ;-) )

Quote from: warner on May 21, 2006, 12:37:08 PM

If you let anyone in for money or gratification or because you are fast loose and easy or want to be accepted that is called zina. Its dealt sepatarely.

Right, so you believe that there's nothing between a woman committing to a man through a ritual and selling the pleasures of her body for money? Give me a break...

el-Aziz

Peace everybody.

Right, so you believe that there's nothing between a woman committing to a man through a ritual and selling the pleasures of her body for money? Give me a break...

sugar

Quote from: AhmedBahgat on May 17, 2006, 05:29:27 PM
I donlt think that a walking woman with parting legs will reveal her hidden attraction because a loose and long Jlibab (a dress) should take care of that

i don't believe a jilbab is absolutely necessary. Conventional jilbabs are far too long, you could easily trip over them, and they are extremely baggy and make you look 5 stones bigger. 

"O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." 33:59

With the Quran being a fully detailed, unambigious book if you reflect on this verse and how God ordered the prophet to tell his wives, his daughters and the wives of the believers to lengthen their garments, in this verse, God, DELIBERATELY said tell them to lengthen their garments, and never said how long is long. God could have said tell them to lengthen their garments to their ankles or to their mid-calf or to their knees, but HE DID NOT. God knows that we will be living in different communities and have different cultures and insists that the minor details of this dress code will be left for the people of every community to decide for themselves.

I would have expected a traditional muslim to say that a jilbab is required.

peace,
sugar

Arnold Yasin

Peace,

Sugar, it doesn't really say that in arabic, it refers to jileb, meaning more loose-fitting clothes, then immediately lenghten your clothes.....

sugar

Quote from: arnoldyasin on May 22, 2006, 10:28:11 AM
Peace,

Sugar, it doesn't really say that in arabic, it refers to jileb, meaning more loose-fitting clothes, then immediately lenghten your clothes.....

....and how 'loose' is it expected be? :confused:

peace,
sugar

Arnold Yasin

If i'm correct it refers more to hanging clothes... So they must hang from a certain point and not cling to your body in a thight way. But i need more research to give a better answer..

warner

Quote from: el-Aziz on May 22, 2006, 08:38:35 AM

Peace everybody.

You said the word "commitment"

el-Aziz

Quote from: warner on May 22, 2006, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: el-Aziz on May 22, 2006, 08:38:35 AM

Peace everybody.

You said the word "commitment"

...being a synonym "for marriage (the word you used)". As an adult (that I assume you are), can you just cut to the chase!

warner

Peace el-aziz

I guess we are talking two different subjects here. I mean we are on different frequencies.

Old enough.

el-Aziz

Quote from: warner on May 22, 2006, 02:46:17 PM
Peace el-aziz

I guess we are talking two different subjects here. I mean we are on different frequencies.

Old enough.

Obviously, you don't pay attention to what I say.
You suggested that separating the woman's legs refered to her as she is walking or sitting, i e when being observed in some way. On top of this excellent observation of the verb "D-r-b"'s meaning, I proposed to extend this meaning (since there's nothing in the text suggesting she is walking or sitting) to separating her legs seen from an intimate aspect and not public one. "...don't [just] spread 'em", that is.

KGB

warner

Quote: El Aziz

"Right, so you believe that there's nothing between a woman committing to a man through a ritual and selling the pleasures of her body for money? Give me a break..."

Where did you get this idea from.

And how do you know what I believe ?

Your sentence above is not clear " nothing between". Did you mean no difference.

What ritual ? There are no rituals in marraige in the Quraan. Man agrees/pays the dower and gets married.

What you are implicating is sex , not about revelaing hidden attractions which is a lesser offence. Prohibited sex is dealt in another place and it is called zina . If you read the verse 24:30-31 its about looking and revealing.

I didnt say walking only , in any stance or posture the way a woman keeps her legs whether
apart / moving / crossing( Did elke mention about basic instinct) / one leg up
and if that can reveal her hidden attractions ( part of the body , curves, out line, figure).

Hope I am clear.

I guess I am more adult than you. just kidding. No offence meant.

el-Aziz

Quote from: warner on May 23, 2006, 03:28:21 AM
I didnt say walking only , in any stance or posture the way a woman keeps her legs whether
apart / moving / crossing( Did elke mention about basic instinct) / one leg up
and if that can reveal her hidden attractions ( part of the body , curves, out line, figure).

Hope I am clear.

I guess I am more adult than you. just kidding. No offence meant.

Ok, it may be that I'm the one not expressing myself clear enough.
I suggested that this verse is not implying the Darab-ing refering to something visual as on a police station when smoking, walking on the streets, standing in any posture - but rather what happens when a women spreads her legs. Understand me now?