Author Topic: Suggestion for Layth and Mods : Moderated Debates  (Read 3152 times)

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Suggestion for Layth and Mods : Moderated Debates
« on: May 12, 2006, 12:39:09 PM »
Salaamun alaikum,

Free-Minds is said to be a place for people 'to come and examine for themselves the system of Submission/Islam which is based on God Alone'. This 'Islam' is further expounded by the statement 'The system of God "Islam/Submission" has been taught to us through God and His messenger and is fully outlined in the final Book of God (The Quran) which was revealed centuries ago...'.

This shows a certain set of beliefs as to what is the correct ideology and where it is contained.

If this is truly the purpose of the site and subsequently of the forum, then why is the constant disparagement against al-quraan overlooked and therefore approved of?

I'm not suggesting censorship at all. Rather, what I'm suggesting are moderated debates. Anyone who wishes to challenge either the 'quranic' position of sole authority in ad-deen or wishes to cast aspersions to the authenticity of al-quraan should be allowed to voice his view, but not use a platform where the purpose is purportedly the above to exercise a free-for-all quran-bashing session. Such things are not allowed even in liberal western societies which some people here believe to be furqaan, not al-quraan.

My suggestion for a debate format is as follows:

1. X forwards a proposition in a new 'moderated debates' section. Example : The Quran contradicts itself. See this verse and that verse

2. Y steps forward and answers. Moderators then determine if his answer actually answers the question and let him know if it doesn't. He then answers again if that is in fact the case.

3. X must then provide a reasonable counter-response to the debate or rescind his assertion completely.

I promise you, in this way, those who cast aspersions on al-quraan will not remain long and more importantly, those who are new to this forum will realise that al-quraan remains supreme in the face of human argument. As things currently are, the critics of al-quraan simply do not answer our responses and keep up their antics by posting all over the forum. We need to ask ourselves the following: Does God accept neutrality or does he accept justice? I close my suggestions with the following ayat:

Whoever recommends and facilitates a good cause becomes a partner therein: And whoever recommends and facilitates an evil cause, shares in its burden: And God hath power over all things (4/85)

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
Re: Suggestion for Layth and Mods : Moderated Debates
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 12:57:08 PM »
Peace mq,

I agree about the moderated debates. During the course of my tenure here, I can see it is much needed... but I don't know if the mods have the time to take on this responsibility, if they do then it would be great. This would avoid much frustration regarding unfair debate tactics and the same thing occuring over and over again. What surprises me is that a health section was created but not the contradiction/critical examination of al quran section. I mean that's just strange since the latter outstrips the former in terms of posts and the need for it.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:59:08 PM »

SC:but I don't know if the mods have the time to take on this responsibility, if they do then it would be great

I hear you but lets think this way : why does a debate have to be lightning fast? Let a moderator take a week or two to approve. Let the 2 debators take their time. The important thing is the quality of the debate.

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
Quote from: mquran
I hear you but lets think this way : why does a debate have to be lightning fast? Let a moderator take a week or two to approve. Let the 2 debators take their time. The important thing is the quality of the debate.

That's even better, yes that would solve the problem indeed. Maybe we should post this in the Forum Suggestions category, since I think that's where the 'health' category was created...could be that the powers that be are more receptive there?!? :D

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:10:18 PM »

That's even better, yes that would solve the problem indeed. Maybe we should post this in the Forum Suggestions category, since I think that's where the 'health' category was created...could be that the powers that be are more receptive there?!?

Ah good idea. Would someone care to move this thread?

Lobster

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-10
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »
peace

I kind of agree with your idea mquran. I think all that our discussions need is a bit more maturity in handling sensitive issues like the contradictions in the quran.
The problem with your suggestion is that on this forum, because people aren't talking face to face or even at the same time, it is sometimes hard to determine what someone is trying to  say exactly.                                                             
So sometimes one thinks that he/she has answered another's  question.
So basically, we should try to be as clear, concise, and mature in our posts as possible. And give the other person a chance to explain themselves.
We can have much more productive debates if people can keep their emotions out of their posts.
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 03:38:39 PM »
Erm, logistics?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Lobster

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-10
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »
no. please.

peace
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

zenje

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »
Peace mquran n all,

I would like to see this work also, however, I don't think creating a separate section will help any. Mainly because the debates may or may not be restricted to a particular topic which we already have. If I understood mquran's suggestion correctly (and I must say I'm still a wee bit confused as to where the lines of censorship and free speech are drawn, that is, other than the already existing rules for the board) we could create a thread in a specific section of the board pertaining to the debate at hand. Granted. This particular thread can be arranged through any of the mods by the parties involved, for the sake of argument: Debate about a contradiction on one verse and another between X  and Y : This topic will be raised by the 2  members and they would have agreed on the subject. They contact a mod/admin to start. A thread is created with one or 2 posts from the above mentioned, and then locked. When it's X or Y's turn to reply then the same is posted and again locked.

Am I off so far? Did you want others to participate in the said debate? Coz this is where it got a little fuzzy for me.  :confused: If others are allowed to participate, won't it go back to the same thing where someone can choose to genuinely reply a line from a previous post and slowly the thread deviates from the subject? I'm not talking about intentional going-off-tangents, or making fun, or simply disrupting the threads for the sake of it.

Another thing I wasn't sure of is, if the mods are to determine whether Y answered X's question or not, wouldn't there be a point where Y could cry foul and say the mod was biased because we know his/her beliefs conforms with X? Again I'm not talking about someone just saying that coz they're losing the debate or something, some could actually feel that way. AB mentioned a debate where he would choose some 2 'judges' on his side and would allow the other party to choose their 2 'judges' also... I'm not sure how that would work also, but it probably does give both parties some kind of a fall back system? If you're confused, I am too. :D

Please clarify those points for me, and I'm sure we can come to a solution. :) As mquran mentioned, time would not be a huge factor. The thread would be locked until a reasonable response from the concerned members is available. The thread would be a 'sticky' so that it doesn't sink into the forgotten pages just because someone took 3 days to reply.

Any more suggestions/clarifications would be highly appreciated.

Peace!
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-2
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 02:07:27 AM »
Peace Zein, all

Quote from: zenje
I would like to see this work also, however, I don't think creating a separate section will help any. Mainly because the debates may or may not be restricted to a particular topic which we already have.

Contradictions et al section Vs. Health & Fitness section?!? Sacrilege!

This particular thread can be arranged through any of the mods by the parties involved, for the sake of argument: Debate about a contradiction on one verse and another between X  and Y : This topic will be raised by the 2  members and they would have agreed on the subject. They contact a mod/admin to start. A thread is created with one or 2 posts from the above mentioned, and then locked. When it's X or Y's turn to reply then the same is posted and again locked.

I agree, sounds good, or maybe the thread is just reserved for them and any other replies are deleted to ensure ease of posting?

Am I off so far? Did you want others to participate in the said debate? Coz this is where it got a little fuzzy for me.   If others are allowed to participate, won't it go back to the same thing where someone can choose to genuinely reply a line from a previous post and slowly the thread deviates from the subject? I'm not talking about intentional going-off-tangents, or making fun, or simply disrupting the threads for the sake of it.

I think that this can only be implemented with two people with opposing viewpoints who want a modded debate.

Another thing I wasn't sure of is, if the mods are to determine whether Y answered X's question or not, wouldn't there be a point where Y could cry foul and say the mod was biased because we know his/her beliefs conforms with X? Again I'm not talking about someone just saying that coz they're losing the debate or something, some could actually feel that way. AB mentioned a debate where he would choose some 2 'judges' on his side and would allow the other party to choose their 2 'judges' also... I'm not sure how that would work also, but it probably does give both parties some kind of a fall back system? If you're confused, I am too.

Very good point you raise. I was thinking about this too. It's kinda confusing. I mean in a modded debate I would probabaly choose judges I know are going to be impartial...but in any given issue crying foul will always be there. I think by giving actual facts for why the question wasn't answered would take care of this. If those facts are going to be contested, we can always have another thread for that. I seriously think though that the members having the debate must accept the judgement of the judges they choose, but then they would only accept that of the judges they themselves choose...God...what are we going to do? Maybe the judges should be anonymous to the other party, so that they can't say that it's because they believe in so and so that they are doing this, instead rely more on what they write and counter those facts.