Main Menu

Pakistan?

Started by Leena, March 11, 2006, 12:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warda

Quote from: agentxxx on June 19, 2006, 08:26:36 AM
salam nadia behan,

app nay bohut acchi translation ke  :bravo:
mayn nay thori koshish ke thi magar mujay apney translation per khud hansie aa gaey is leay mayn nay usay post nahin keah  :)

app sab per salmati ho,
:peace:

agent what are you saying? you like the translation Nadja did? So she did a good job?

Imran I think Arabic and Urdu are too different languages for being Urdu the "daughter" of arabic.
Still its interesting which words of Arabic influenced other languages. Ishq for example is a word which u can also find in Turkish maybe in Farsi too. Although the Ottomans ruled in many arabic countries for more than 400 years there is only little Turkish vocabulary which was taken over by the Arabs. While a high percentage of Arabic words is used in Turkish. 

agentxxx

peace sis warda,

Quoteagent what are you saying? you like the translation Nadja did? So she did a good job?
you have guessed it right sis  :bravo:
I also wrote that I too tried to translate it, but my translation was so ridicules it made me laugh, so i did not posted it :D

intresting facts regarding the origin of urdu language:

Quote'Urdu' is a Turkish word which means 'foreign' or 'horde'. This just shows that the language represents it's origin being an amalgamation of foreigners with the natives of South Asia. It was formulated by the interaction of foreign army, merchants and immigrants to India. Today, it is the national language of Pakistan and is quite similar to the neighbouring country India's national language Hindi. Infact, the grammar of Urdu is quite similar to Hindi. The forte of the language has been and still is it's literature that has some master pieces. Likewise, poets like Mirza Ghalib, Allama Iqbal, Faiz Ahmed Faiz have had a give and take relation with the language. Where they took the language as a bridge between their thoughts and their readers, they also gave the gems of their beautiful poetry to the language.

Urdu involves numerous elements of Arabic as well as Persian. It also derives some matter from Sanskrit, a language still spoken in the city of Multan in Pakistan. Though not a very old language, Urdu is a language full of charm and elegance, a language that holds literature so courtly. Even today when the this native language has almost lost its importance in the country, the ones with a slight poetic and aesthetic sense prefer to express in Urdu only as the language adds the charm to prose and poetry. The legatee of feelings expressed can feel the intensity if it is your sweet heart and the orator may be the content one.

God bless all,
KIND WORDS AND THE COVERING OF FAULTS ARE BETTER THAN CHARITY FOLLOWED BY INJURY.[2:263]
DO YE ENJOIN RIGHT CONDUCT ON THE PEOPLE, and FORGET (TO PRACTICE IT) YOURSELVES, and yet ye study the Scripture? Will ye not understand?.2:44.

savage_carrot

Peace all,

Quote from: agentxxxapp nay bohut acchi translation ke  bravo
mayn nay thori koshish ke thi magar mujay apney translation per khud hansie aa gaey is leay mayn nay usay post nahin keah

Nadeem bhai, bohut shukriya, lekin masla yeah hei keh mein bhi hans hans key yeh translation post kar rehi thi! Merey lahaz sey to yeh bahut bura translation hai, lekin socha key shahid kisi ka faida ho jaey! :D

Sis Warda,

Just for your benefit, I translate the above as: I thought my translation was quite laughable but then again, lyrics to 'romantic' songs usually are!  ;)

I always thought urdu is a very polite language, our punjabi is what gives us a bad name ;D
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

warda

Quote from: savage_carrot on June 19, 2006, 07:27:36 PM

I always thought urdu is a very polite language, our punjabi is what gives us a bad name ;D

Salam agent, Nadja

Nadja bohut shukriya (??  ;) ) for translating

now you opend another box! What about Punjabi? is it also close to Urdu/Hindi? And why does it give u a bad name  :D :D  I also love Punjabi music, and listen a lot to it, so I'd love to learn more about it.... Thanks in advance (sending you flowers....)

Lobster

peace

Didn't Punjabi exist before Urdu? i think it did.
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

savage_carrot

Peace,

Quote from: wardanow you opend another box! What about Punjabi? is it also close to Urdu/Hindi? And why does it give u a bad name  I also love Punjabi music, and listen a lot to it, so I'd love to learn more about it.... Thanks in advance (sending you flowers....)

Hmm, well it's definitely quite close and if you do a little search on the language, I guess you would get more info about the history and all. As to why it gives a bad name? Well it's a longstanding joke amongst mohajirs (urdu speaking people whose native language is only urdu) for one, to never marry a punjabi! The reasons for this are manifold so the mohajirs say ;) Personally, coming from a mixed background with a dominant punjabi streak in it, the punjabi's I know are a boisterous lot, quite colourful people and so on...while the mohajirs tend to be more subdued. The language is also a joke, amongst Karachiites, they say the punjabi women are so beautiful so long as they don't start talking. There are differences in the way urdu and punjabi is spoken, punjabi tends to be more crude and urdu is more refined. It's no secret that most, if not all the swear words in urdu come from punjabi :D I like both as they both have their advantages really.

Quote from: phoenixDidn't Punjabi exist before Urdu? i think it did.

Not sure about this, I think both might have independently evolved at around the same time maybe.

ik75243

peace

i like the respectful part of urdu that unfortunately doesn't exist in English.

For example:

There's a disrespectful 'you' in urdu and a respectful 'you' in urdu. And a median as well.

Tu, Aap, Tum.

Lobster

peace

i don't like that part about urdu at all. Because when you meet someone, you're always thinking how to address them.
"will they be offended if i call them 'tum?'"
makes things too complicated.

And there isn't a direspectful 'you.' It's an informal 'you.'
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

ik75243

peace

QuoteAnd there isn't a direspectful 'you.' It's an informal 'you.'

You are right, it is informal. But,I take it as 'disrespectful'. Or, at least not respectful.

Quotei don't like that part about urdu at all. Because when you meet someone, you're always thinking how to address them.
"will they be offended if i call them 'tum?'"
makes things too complicated.

I guess respect/courtesy is a huge deal to me. I just can't see myself saying that to somebody who's close to my age or older.  Now, I have said it to my mother but not in a serious context...

savage_carrot

I use the 'median' informal tone for my family, I have no problems there...but anyone else I would address formally unless it was a child. The tu is not part of my vocab at all.