Author Topic: Is Quran anti- secular?  (Read 13740 times)

peacefulmuslim

Is Quran anti- secular?
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:40:20 PM »
Hi All,
Quote from: "mquran"
Sadly, people have began to use the banner of 'quran alone' to legitimise thier opinion. While it's true that al-quraan has quantitatively less rules than sunnism, its rebellion against these liberal notions is pretty clear. Therefore the 'quran alone' preached by some is nothing more than secularism in disguise. Interesting malaise, I never saw this in the early days but these days, its common. The good thing is, we can always refer to the book itself. That never fails and people who project false opinions will be exposed. The lack of verse-quoting in this thread is a clear proof of this irreverence.

Is Quran anti- secular?
Should muslims not be a part of a secular society?
Are muslims meant to be anti-secular?

Today, most of the countries practice a secular governance and not a religious governance, Becoz of which muslims are able to live peacefully even in a non muslim country. Every human being has equal rights and is treated equal irrespective of religion. Would this be wrong???

Anybody with answers/views/opinions?

And Mquran, No offence meant on having quoted what u said on an other thread.
Its more like a food for thought really.

Peace!

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 03:28:20 PM »
No offense taken in the least.

Can you please define 'secular' and distinctify it from 'not secular' ? I think the discussion can proceed once we peg the definitions.

Omeiza

• Apprentice
  • Karma +2/-0
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
Dear Peacefulmuslim!

I suggest you give us your definition of SECULARISM or possibly ask mquran to do then we can have a structured discussion on the issue.

Thanks.
Do not cheat and do not allow yourself to be cheated

peacefulmuslim

Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 03:54:08 PM »
Hi all

I meant secular, as in a secular government where all people are equally important irrespective of their religious beliefs, such as most of the countries today. Like say, in countries where muslins are a minority, they are not differentiated on the basis of their religion and are considered equal to just any other person in the country.

And yeah, I have no clue what Mquran meant by secular beliefs in the quote. Propably, he can tell us, his definition as well.

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 03:59:15 PM »
Here is the dictionary meaning:

Secular:
Worldly rather than spiritual.
Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
Relating to or advocating secularism.
Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order. Used of the clergy.
Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
Lasting from century to century.

Lets move on from these definitions, shall we?

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 04:01:41 PM »
I meant secular, as in a secular government where all people are equally important irrespective of their religious beliefs, such as most of the countries today. Like say, in countries where muslins are a minority, they are not differentiated on the basis of their religion and are considered equal to just any other person in the country.

A government based on al-quraan would have the same principle of equality.

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 04:05:30 PM »
A government is essentially legislation, set of laws with an executive. The difference, in my view between a secular govt and a Quranic govt is that a Quranic has a permanent set of laws set by Allah. Its not concerned with winning the vote of the majority because there's no election. It's concerned with the establishment of ad-deen as opposed to maximise the pleasure in the short-term (which is what 'ad-dunya' refers to)

peacefulmuslim

Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:07:48 PM »
Hi Mquran,
Say there are 10% of christians in the country. Would the Quranic laws apply to them as well or would they have different rules?

mquran

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +15/-2
Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 04:11:21 PM »
As far as my reading goes, in an Islamic domain, all laws apply to everyone equally.

'Christianity' applies to thier belief system. Once they enter the islamic domain, they have to iqamus-salaat and itaauz-zakaat ( what i interpret as being committed to producing growth in the quranic sense). This pledge makes them 'muslimeen' in the quranic sense. Religious freedom is a private matter. Hope im clear there.

peacefulmuslim

Is Quran anti- secular?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 04:40:27 PM »
So, would the christians be forced to live by Quranic laws even when they dont believe in it?