Author Topic: "Sahih Bukhari" disproves Muhammad's illiteracy.  (Read 2540 times)

Anoushirvan

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: "Sahih Bukhari" disproves Muhammad's illiteracy.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »
Peace,

The word "umma" means also time or period, not only community (see verse 11:8), so the word "ummi" could also mean "of his time", hence an-nabi al-ummi could simply means the prophet of (t)his time, and that makes sense in verses 7:157 and 7:158.

But this likely does not work in all occurrences of the word ummi (see occurrences here http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Amm#(2:78:2))

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
The hadith do not say that, but I have read that interpretation. Try another take...

You can ask them was prophet Muhammad a good trader/merchant? They will say yes. You then tell them that the number system used at the time of the prophet was the Abjad method (in which letters of the Arabic alphabet represented numbers) and this is what traders used at the time and for all mathematics. Did Muhammad use this system? If he did this means he could recognise letters. If he did not then he spent his entire trading career doing things by memory and every trader he dealt with was happy not to use the widespread Abjad method or he had someone with him all the time who recorded these trades/contracts for him but if so this has never been documented anywhere.

Did he ever disobey God? If they say no, then ask what did he do when he was revealed the very first revelation (according to them) i.e. 96:1

Read (imperative/command form, iqra) in the name of your Lord who has created.

They will almost certainly say according to hadith the prophet replied he cannot read. So God commanded him to read and he replied he couldn't and never learnt to read for the rest of his life despite this command. If God commands X and I cannot do X at the time is it ok never to do X? Is prophet Muhammad a good example for believers to follow........ except with regards to learning to read... or...?

(please also see video and Edp's argument above) They are unlikely to concede anything but nice to see their reaction.

A response I got was that Muhammad thought iqra meant read thats why he said he cant, but they claim it means recite. And they just say no he never learned we dont need to ask why not..

They also claim he knew how to sign his name so that's all it means when it says he wrote documents and letters. Just dumb excuses!

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
A response I got was that Muhammad thought iqra meant read thats why he said he cant, but they claim it means recite.

So they think he misinterpreted his first revelation, lol.

Edip answers this. Ask them what is the Quranic Arabic word for "read"?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-1
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 05:32:07 AM »
Regardless of history tales or facts what does our own thinking conclude about the "Iqraa" story?

Now if GOD asks someone to do something, you would expect with certainty that the person can do the task.Unless GOD is joking with him.?.

Or if Gabriel came my way with a mission from GOD to fly to Greenland to do a job,produced a plane and said"Fly it". Am I supposed to say:" But GOD knows I cannot fly planes?.To the contrary. The mind boggles!!!  Gabriel was certain I could fly planes since GOD sent him to me with that mission.

May be GOD did not know that the prophet could read!!!

The least the prophet could do was read and write, since GOD expected him to deliver Qoran to the world!
Otherwise somebody else would have got the job.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
Salam everyone,

So where does the belief that rassoul Allah (Mohamed) couldn't read or write come from If some hadiths say the contrary ? Other contradictory hadiths ?

Salam Fadiva,

Yes ...From sahih hadith books. Examples:

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/30/23

Narrated Ibn `Umar:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "We are an illiterate nation; we neither write, nor know accounts. The month is like this and this, i.e. sometimes of 29 days and sometimes of thirty days."

https://sunnah.com/urn/631900

Narrated Ubayy bin Ka'b:
"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) met Jibra'il and said: 'O Jibra'il! I have been sent to an illiterate nation among whom are the elderly woman, the old man, the boy and the girl, and the man who cannot read a book at all.' He said: 'O Muhammad! Indeed the Qur'an was revealed in seven modes.'"

Wassalam,

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
From my understanding it came from the interpretation of the Arabic word "ummi" in Quran, and perhaps from polemicists who wanted to elevate the miracle of Quran by saying it was from an illiterate.

Salam Wakas,

I also never understand why Sunnis are so afraid that if Muhammad can read and write, Quran is not miracle.

[17:88] Say: “If all mankind and the Jinn were to gather to bring a Qur’an like this, they could not come with its like, even if they  were helping one another.”

The thing is even if Al-Ins and Al-Jinn are helping each other, they could not come up with the like of Quran.

Wassalam,